Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by a few minutes of waterboarding
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

🥷 Ninja Art: Shotgun Approach Jutsu!

First, I reintroduced holding a damp shave binky against my whiskers for extra hydration. Don’t know if it’s more or less effective than schmearing aloe gel, but it was calming.

Second, I used that damp shave binky to assist in skin stretching. For the first time ever, it was completely comfortable. Also, my shave wasn’t close at all. Probably explained the comfort.

Third, I applied more lather and used an even shallower angle. The cap ever so slightly bunched skin in front of the blade and let me trim whiskers pushed above the skin. Like the skin stretching, it was very comfortable, but it was closer.

And then the teeny, tiny red microdot of abject failure appeared on the left side of my neck. I hoped it was a reddened pore, but it wiped clean. So close…

Third and a half, I angled the Micromatic so I felt both cap and top of comb on my skin and went after my moustache. The middle of my moustache shaved without scuffing or irritation.

Two even smaller red dots appeared on the right side of my moustache. They may as well have been colossal, neon billboards proclaiming “That Boy Ain’t Right.”

At the same time, it was my least ouchy first use of an unstropped GEM blade, so I was still happy.

Would two skin stretching passes have done the same job with zero perceivable bloodshed? Dunno. Mebbe?

FFFMM 3/18/23, Shave No.#12

Fixed 4 Set up:
Rockwell T2 SS-Bic Chrome Platinum-APShaveCo. 28mm Silksmoke Winter-Rockwell shave cream Barbershop
Optional Gear:
Nivea 2in1 a/s Lotion-Giorgio Armani Code parfum

A wild day yesterday with good friends, drink and eats. Today’s shave was part of my “Gus is in recovery mode” as a few pints of Guinness along with a helping of Jamison from time to time may create a euphoric and pleasant feeling at the expense and loss of reason & common sense. Oh well, you only live once and this morning’s shave was a start on that path to being a thoughtful and logical thinking human being again. With me not being in the most equitable position, the Rockwell T2 delivered an excellent shave from a not so excellent participant. The Bic Chrome Platinum handled the stubble with relative ease as it gave clear and concise audible feedback that hair was being cleared effectively yet smoothly. I will say this again and pardon my constant repetition but, the Rockwell shaving cream in the Barbershop scent really is a fantastic performing soap. It’s much better than your “basic” shave soap and truly does provide excellent protection, glide and to my surprise very good residual slickness. The scent is lightly reminiscent to Rive Gauche from YSL, very classic Barbershop like as the name implies. As another point of reference, if you like Mr. Fine American Barbershop, I think you will like this as well. Good stuff.

Now, I relegate myself to some healthy helpings of coffee, coffee and more coffee. And an Italian Wedding Soup by Progreso.

Great shaves to all…

2A1018EA-C1B0-420C-9AF0-7B8BF99644BC.jpeg

3-18-23 Saturday
FFFMM 10/31

Razor: Merkur Progress (4-4-2)
Blade: Treet platinum(2)
Soap: Mudder Focker face lather
Brush: RR Bruce
Pre: n/a
20230314_212817.jpg

3 slow and easy passes after really slowing down and working on my lather got me to BBS with 1 tiny weeper beside my adamsapple. A very satisfying shave after taking a few days off. Forgot to snap a picture before everything was put away. The missus came into bathroom just after I used the splash. It might remove Old Spice from her top spot. WOW...glad I like it!
Be well
Jay

ALL RAZOR TYPES ARE WELCOME :cool:

Cartridge
Single Edge
Double Edge
Straight Razor
Axe
etc

:biggrin:
Should this be revised for next year and beyond?

Using a non-replaceable blade would technically not qualify as ‘Fixed Four’ wherein that takes account for the Blade and Razor as individual elements.

So while I adhered to using my identified DE and Blade for March, I realize my faux pas in introducing the SR as a ‘Fifth Element’ in FFFMM :blush:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was fast.

3-18-23.Xi.Mike's.BlueBoar.640.JPG

Having engaged in lazy time management, and having a scheduled barbershop appointment, today's shave was somewhat faster than I'd prefer. Still, it was a very nice and good shave. I'm not complaining. Not at all.

New blade today. The discarded Proline was fine after about fifteen shaves but I felt like a new one.

From top to bottom this is very fine gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My FFFMM continues, as does the learning.

In the past, I only used the Slim on 3. These days, I usually use my Rockwell 6S with the R4 plate, which has more blade feel. I've been using the Slim on 4, but I find that I'm missing the blade feel (and efficiency), so I set it at 5 today. In conjunction with the fact that I've figured out the lather, I managed a nice result with no blood and no irritation. Yay, me.

Onward!

(No-name Scottish deer-horn mystery badger brush loaded and ready to go, as my heffalump supervises.)

1679187598527.png

Date: March 19, 2023.
Shave: 10.
Shaving Brush: Semogue 820 Boar Bristle.
Shaving Cream: O'Melhor Classico.
Razor: Rockwell 6S in Red with base plate 3.
Blade: Gillette Nacet Blade 4, shave 1, side 3 & 4.
Preshave Wash: Hot Water, Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser.
Lathering: Bowl lather.
Shave: Pass 1 WTG, Pass 2 XTG, Pass 3 ATG, cleanup pass.
Post Shave: Cold Water splash, Alum Block.
Aftershave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel, Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue.
End Result: Comfortable, close and the most satisfactory shave in this FFFMM so far. Didn't take much effort to get this close and so.

This is my second bottle of Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue overall. Had used one 4 years or more ago. I also have the Skin Bracer Original but the Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue is far more of a slap in the face kinda menthol experience. I've used Floid too in the past, like 8-10 years before. But I don't remember how much of menthol it had. Can anyone enlighten me?

FFFMM 3/19/23, Shave No.#13

Fixed 4 Set up:
Rockwell T2 SS-Bic Chrome Platinum-APShaveCo. 28mm Silksmoke Winter-Rockwell shave cream Barbershop
Optional Gear:
L’Oreal Hydra Energetic a/s splash-Valentino Uomo eau de toilette

Cold & windy here in the Garden State but, still a real good shave. Going to have to replace the Bic C-P blade as it gave a bit of tugging from the onset. Still managed to make it work without any incident except for a tiny weeper at the corner of my mouth ridding myself of some corner stache whiskers And the slightest of heat & irritation on both sides of the jawline. All under control with a cold water rinse and the very good L’Oreal splash. Works just as good as the Nivea 2in1 Lotion as it shares near the same consistency of feel & effect. Shame it’s not available here Stateside.

Great shaves to all….

95D14127-E2E7-4FFF-B4A8-69F3FA171857.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
FFFMM
Saturday SOTD

Razor:
Blackbird Lite SS and SR-36 Bronze handle
Blade: Personna (3)
Brush: Semogue Torga Mistura C3
Soap: Zingari Man the Wanderer
ASL: Pinaud VIBR
20230318_185837.jpg

A very nice one and done shave sufficed for the night after spending the day installing 23/32" plywood flooring in the Tuff Shed, and doing the yardwork.

I'm gonna have to rate the Blackbird Lite in between my GC68-P and Lupo72 efficiency wise. As I prefer something with a bit more feel, I'm strongly thinking of trading the Lite baseplate in for the Original Blackbird baseplate.

~doug~

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
FFFMM

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: No
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate Moisturizer

Tried making a ridiculously soapy lather instead of my normal lightly poisoned water because why not? Then I tried skin stretching and shaving, but wasn’t getting it right. I went shallower and had an okay-ish shave. Upper lip success improved due to physical cues of cap and top of comb. More schemes to contemplate for next time.

Top Bottom