What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2022 Edition

@Cal , just a question for clarification. If one uses a multi-plate razor (such as a Rockwell), is it the same "razor" if plates are changed? I view this as being similar to a classic adjustable (such as a Slim), except that parts are interchanged, rather than a dial being turned...

What say you, sir?
:nonod: Sorry but nope. If you have to dismantle and reassemble, with a different sized part, it's not the same razor (whereas your "twist to adjust" baby is).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:nonod: Sorry but nope. If you have to dismantle and reassemble, with a different sized part, it's not the same razor (whereas your "twist to adjust" baby is).

Not that my vote counts, but I agree.

It also means I can use my Sailor and have what amounts to about 11 different razors during the Fixed.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

linty1

My wallet cries.
A448F486-FF82-4109-BCF4-9BDE1507B6A8.jpeg

861E20E2-6D6D-4BFF-BAF9-2A6ABC82857C.jpeg

Second day with the boar I will use for fffmm, and there is a FUNK lol a zingari brush cleaner, a dawning, and an oxy soak later, its much fainter. Managed to get a towelling in, tried to get a closeup shot of the bristles. Noticed some rubber bristles? Pulled them out, and lost a hair during towelling.

Don't worry, I won't post brush updates everyday for fear of hi-jacking this thread, just gearing up for fffmm and excited!

:laugh: Very wise. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that with the Rockwell, you're only allowed to use one side of one baseplate for the FFFMM. :wink2:
😲😲 I didn't know that. Quite strict rules you got here 😃 But I think I will try on plate 3. Thank you for letting me know, because I usually use plate 2 for clean ups. I would fail just after the starting line 🙃

linty1

My wallet cries.
I just realized with my tabac I think? I can faintly see the bottom of the jar and that It may start to doughnut.. not sure if I want to/if it'll last another month. Especially with a stiff boar. (excuse me linty1, this is a family forum).

Uh.. I'll think about this.

I participated last year but I think I need to sit this one out. Business travel has kicked back in and while I prefer straights to a cartridge, it’s not by enough to make me willing to check my bag for a short trip. Nor am I willing to use a cartridge the entire month just because I need to for 2-3 days. Good luck to all that do take the challenge!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I'm in
IMG_20220221_122214.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Voskhod
Soap: Cella
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3

I'm going to use my Muhle Rocca R94 which I acquired last month, I really enjoy using it and a month will be a snap with it. Likewise the Simpsons Trafalgar T3 still my favourite brush will be no problem for a month's use. The Voskhod blades are new to me and I'll give them ago and keep my fingers crossed. The soap is Cella, it is 2 years old and not as good as it once was so I have to use it up and this is a perfect excuse to put my 3017 hat on.
See you all next month.

I'm in.
Decision wrt setup is pending.
Choices, choices.
20220222_112643-01.jpeg

Razor: Feather SS AC
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Brush: WCS Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26mm
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost (Excelsior base)

Razor and blades are set. It'll be challenging, but one of my goals for 2022 was to properly shave with this razor. My attemps are promising to date, so I feel confident enough to go all in.

However, I'm still struggeling with the soap... maybe I'll switch to Tabac instead.

Decisions, decisions 😉

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm in, although fixed three, no brush. I'd substitute an aftershave for 4, but not sure if the Mandom will get here before March, definitely won't push off trying that when I get it.

Gillette Tech, Gillette Foamy for sure.

For blades I'd like to continue the old school Gillette theme, but I only have 3 Spoliers left and most I've done with one blade is 9 shaves...and it wasn't with Spoilers.

The white (Gillette) Wilkinson can definitely handle 9, so it's either that or push through with the Spoilers. The others aren't old, forgot to take out of the picture.

20220222_213835.jpg

Last edited:
Not that my vote counts, but I agree.

It also means I can use my Sailor and have what amounts to about 11 different razors during the Fixed.

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Happy shaves,

Jim

More closer to every safety razor ever made, Jim. Easily covers every razor mentioned in this thread so far, minus straights. I say it should be outlawed as it's just simply unfair, that's how good it is. Damn those Sailors! Still, I love mine.

And yes, @Cal I'm in. A little madness can always do some good. Set up coming soon.

Well, it’s decided:

8E58B971-F3A7-43FB-A379-8BFEDBFC4B2F.jpeg
  • Slim
  • Nacet
  • Century
  • Yardley
The Slim used to be my go-to, before the Rockwell came along and knocked the Slim off the countertop. I’ll spend the month of March reminiscing with my old friend.

Nacet is the best for me. ‘Nuff said.

I’m a little leery about the brush. It’s handsome and feels good in the hand, but the bristles are stiff as all get-out. I’ve used it a fair few times and I think that’s just how it is. This month will test the brush…and me. If either of us fails, then the brush will be put away until we can achieve a re-knot.

I have used the Yardley a bit over the years and it’s great, with a creamy lather and a light scent that seems to have hints of lavender. I got it as NOS and wanted to keep it around, but an item owned and not used seems like a colossal waste. I think the little Century will eat this up and then I’ll have a nice container to use.

Onward!

Last edited:
Top Bottom