What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm in. My line up will be:

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo (The best razor in the universe)
Blade: New Gillette Platinum
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale (The best brush in the universe)
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)

All in all, a wonderful line up to see me through.

Here's a partial picture of my line up.
View attachment 1223158

I don't see a Piccolo handle on that FOCS! Are my eyes going bad?

Also I have a question for Cal @Cal. I know adjustables are allowed, but is it required they be set on one setting throughout the Fixed? Can the adjustment be varied during the Fixed?

It doesn't much matter to me because, should I decide to use the Executive or the Fatboy, I tend to stay on setting #5 all the time. Still, I might want to do a second shave some evening on setting #1. Or, I might decide #5 doesn't work as a daily setting after two weeks and maybe I'd prefer to switch to #3.

That kinda sorta sounds to me like using three different razors because the geometry changes, etc.

Good thing I don't have to make the rules.

This ➡ is apropos of absolutely nothing but I thought it was clever, and silly, and BOSC, and maybe it is somewhat related to those of us who still have hair.

It should probably be in the DIY haircutting and hairstyling forum but I don't think there is one.​

horns.jpg

Having said all that, I've not decided to do the Fixed yet. The problem is the brushes. They are complaining like a jealous mistress already.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Still teetering on the decision...

Soap: Easy. My current mug soap would dry out, shrivel, and probably crack if I used something else.

Brush: Easy. My choice of soap tends to dictate the brush.

Blade: Easy. Anything I have more than one of would do, as I only need two blades to see me through a month.

Razor: If I took the easy option again, and stuck to what I'd normally use, there'd be little point in doing the event, as I'd just be using my regular stuff for a month. :letterk1:

So for me, the question is whether I stick to my usual razor, and not take part, or switch to a razor I don't normally use, in order to take part... then spend a couple of weeks getting settled back in with my usual razor afterwards.

Also I have a question for Cal @Cal. I know adjustables are allowed, but is it required they be set on one setting throughout the Fixed? Can the adjustment be varied during the Fixed?

It doesn't much matter to me because, should I decide to use the Executive or the Fatboy, I tend to stay on setting #5 all the time. Still, I might want to do a second shave some evening on setting #1. Or, I might decide #5 doesn't work as a daily setting after two weeks and maybe I'd prefer to switch to #3.
Adjustables like the Fatboy, etc, are indeed allowed. As the setting can easily be changed mid-shave, simply by twisting the adjusting screw, setting adjustment is allowed.

So called (multi-baseplate) adjustables are only allowed on one baseplate (and setting).

1613867414093.png

:devil: Practice, dear boy. :wink2:

I enjoyed it last year so I'll give it a go...
I've decided on a slight change: swapping in Silver Stars in place of KAIs. These blades may be a little bit gentler for daily shaving. Also, there are more of these in the stash.

Brush: Semogue C5 Torga Premium Boar
Soap: Klar Seifen
Razor: Fatip Slant Piccolo
Blade: Silver Star

fixed-four-4.png

I've decided on a slight change: swapping in Silver Stars in place of KAIs. These blades may be a little bit gentler for daily shaving. Also, there are more of these in the stash.

Brush: Semogue C5 Torga Premium Boar
Soap: Klar Seifen
Razor: Fatip Slant Piccolo
Blade: Silver Star

View attachment 1226227
I'll have to try out my Progress with the Dorco Primes before I settle in with that set up. I used a new Indian Wilkinson Sword yesterday and I didn't like it, a few weepers in areas I don't normally get them, and I was set about midway. Could have been partially due to my soap choice yesterday, Cella, which I haven't used often and isn't as good as my favorites as far as I'm concerned. I think I'll be sticking to my top 4 for purchases from now on, and slowly run through the rest.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Adjustables like the Fatboy, etc, are indeed allowed. As the setting can easily be changed mid-shave, simply by twisting the adjusting screw, setting adjustment is allowed.

So called (multi-baseplate) adjustables are only allowed on one baseplate (and setting).

Thank you, Cal. Very clear.

I'm still deciding.

Happy shaves, horns and all,

Jim

Very tempted, especially since I failed in the One Blade in February challenge. My problem is that 1) I'm out of town for a week and have a small collection of travel razors that I've purchased with the intent of using while traveling, and I haven't been traveling much in the last year; plus 2) I've got a Blackland Vector arriving soon, and will want to dial that in, plus compare it back to back with my RR Hawk V3. If I were staying put, I'd spend the month with the Vector. But my four travel razors are screaming at me, in their small voices, complaining of neglect. So, still thinking.

Not sure I'd want to do this. But if my name comes up for a new Wolf this week I'd consider using it for a month steady.

Another question for you, Cal.

Is swapping handles permitted?
:hand: Nope.
My guess is, it's not.
:laugh: Correct.

The reason for this is that we're aiming to improve our technique with one particular piece of hardware (a DE, SE, or Cartridge razor in this case). For example: if you use a 3" plastic handle to start with, then change to a 4" solid brass handle... that's like two completely different razors (even though you're using the same head).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:hand: Nope.

:laugh: Correct.

The reason for this is that we're aiming to improve our technique with one particular piece of hardware (a DE, SE, or Cartridge razor in this case). For example: if you use a 3" plastic handle to start with, then change to a 4" solid brass handle... that's like two completely different razors (even though you're using the same head).

Not a problem. Much appreciated, my friend.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So tempting. I'd go with MdC Fougere, a BK4, my AS-D2, and a Crystal, probably 31 shaves with one blade. The reticence is that I am giving serious consideration to adding an ATT Windsor. I guess I could put off the order for a month.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hmmm... should I...?

IMG_20210225_011842.jpg

IMG_20210225_012620.jpg

IMG_20210225_012113.jpg

It would mean having to remove the blade, and get it on the honing stones progression before the first shave of March. It hasn't been used for well over a year, and while the blade cuts, it could do with sprucing up a little.

I have used this razor before, to good effect. However, I haven't done an extended trial of it. A triple-F, double-M, month long thingymabob might be just the ticket.

If I'm brave enough.

And if I can be bothered to go through all the honing.

Now, some may think this kind of scuppers the blade choice element of the fixed four, but technically I do have a choice of two blades...

IMG_20210225_012350.jpg

... of which my choice would be "the recently honed one" :001_tongu

I think I still need a ruling from @Cal though. While this razor is adjustable via the micrometer screw, which lifts the blade off the comb, that would pass Cal's previous judgement on DE adjustables that don't need additional parts to be adjusted.

IMG_20210225_012152.jpg

However, with no additional parts (one less, actually), it can be used as a straight for edging up the goatee.

IMG_20210225_012511.jpg

I don't think that would break the one rule, but Cal has a habit of wagging his finger at me. 🤣

So, if I'm feeling brave enough to use this for a month, and don't lose patience beforehand whilst trying to hone it, does this breach the one rule?

Top Bottom