What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

tempImageDgHsws.jpg

Shave #6
The second on this blade. Four passes including ATG buffing on cheeks, around the mouth, and on the chin.
About 50/50 DFS/BBS. A close shave but not as comfortable as I would want on a daily basis. That's ok! It's good to find limits. Having checked the amount of soap I've used so far, it looks like I should have plenty left on the puck to make the month. There might be as much as a whole ounce left! The question will be if I'm ready to change it up, or if I go another two weeks and kill it off?

My SOD both yesterday and today (didn't get on here yesterday)
-Semogue Brush (can't remember the model, sue me)
-Cella
-Frederick Reynolds pre-1890

I finally found my BBS (or 95%) today! Yesterday was good and smooth, yet still I couldn't run a hand in every direction without a slight bit of scratch. Today was a different story, as I feel like my edge is "settling in" on the old FR. That and I'm adjusting my technique to the near wedge blade. I'm becoming a fan of the wedge, it feels very smooth though it took a good while to hone it to shape. Definitely a bit different in both shaving and honing technique.

My journey with bowl lathering Cella with my brush is another story. My lather is very light and airy, slick enough but nothing like AOS, and offers little cushion. I think I need less water, I'm going to try that tomorrow. Despite it's shortcomings, it does not dry on my face like AOS did. I had a terrible time with AOS drying out before I could shave it off, and it only takes me 3-4 minutes to do a pass.

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
7th shave

Brush - Simpson's T3
Soap - Mitchell's wool fat
Razor - Muhle R41 with RR HD handle
Blade - Nacet Stainless (3)

Nice DFS but I missed my normal Sunday morning Arko. So after using the FFFMM for my shave. I had a after shave lather and wash with Arko. To get the Arko scent :adoration:👃

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Perhaps my best Wunderbar shave so far.

3-7-21.Wunderbar.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

I think maybe I now have about fourteen shaves with a Wunderbar.

Going into the Fixed deciding upon the WB was a hard decision as it's extremely efficient, very close shaving, a bit prone to biting, and often considered better for every other day use than as a daily driver. So far though I'm pleased with my decision to go with the Wunderbar.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

I'm becoming a fan of the wedge, it feels very smooth though it took a good while to hone it to shape. Definitely a bit different in both shaving and honing technique.

Three cheers for wedges! I agree that they are harder to hone, but IMHO, they offer a more pleasant shaving experience without sacrificing closeness (assuming comparable edges with a full hollow). I'll pick a wedge or a 1/4 hollow most every time.

I'm glad the FFFMM has given you the opportunity to really give it a go.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Day 1
No shave. Spent a bit of time rubbing a blade on a synthetic hone. Got bored. Had steak and eggs.

Day 2
More stubble grown. Hones rubbed on more emery. Blade rubbed on coarsest hone. More boredom.
Blade still not sharp yet, but getting nearer. Boredom induced craving for chocolate takes priority.

Day 3
Inspected edge. Extent of metal removal needed, now becoming apparent. First time honing without tape, and bevel is a LONG way from being set. Coarser abrasive needed, and a lot more time. Sulked. Ate more chocolate.

Day 4
Hit BOTH blades with 250 grit and 600 grit. Close to establishing new apexes, but bevels are as wrinkled as Methuselah's arse.

Day 5
Still in! Haven't actually shaved yet, but the same four items weren't used for all the shaves I haven't had.

Day 6
Further abrasion of blades and brain cells. Still on 1k hone, and full of pasta.

Day 7
Looked at blades. Looked at hones. Walked away. Had cake.

SOC boar
MWF
New SC
Bic #65
Paradise Lost, Book 3 lines 80 to 110

At university I took a course on Milton, and got credit for memorizing and reciting 50 lines of Paradise Lost. So lines 80 - 134 of book 3 were already halfway into my head because they are so interesting. They were what I chose to memorize and even now they are in there.

How much loading of soap is enough to build sufficient supply for three passes? I should be methodical, right?

So I started my timing with “Onely begotten Son, seest thou what rage transports our adversarie...” and kept loading until I got to “had served Necessitie, not Mee.” This after squeezing out the brush. And sure enough, I had nice thick lather in sufficient quantity to last three passes, and had a great shave.

I may take it even further tomorrow, maybe to “If I foreknew, foreknowledge had no influence on their fault, which had no less prov’d certain unforeknown.”

I don’t really think I should take chances with lather that is “Sufficient to have stood, though free to fall.” But maybe that’s just me.

FFFMM Shave#6
Razor: Timeless .95 scalloped ss
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Black(8)
Brush: Omega 10098
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra

This shave was actually yesterday and today I took a day off as there was hardly any stubble to shave this morning. I really hydrated the soap again but loaded more heavily this time and ended up shaving with yoghurt! The shave was absolutely bbs and still the blade is feeling sharp but getting steadily smoother. Back on it tomorrow.

FFFMM March 7th, shave #7
Today did a face lather for a single pass. I put a scant tablespoon of water in the soap to bloom before the shower then loaded for 5 seconds while only lightly pressing the brush against the Maggards. Got it just right - excellent lather developed on my face, but an attempt to re-lather failed. SAS, which is fine for a Sunday, next shave is only 18 hours away.

CFCECBE0-6227-491B-84B1-94E62129B46B.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
FFfM, March 7, 5th shave
Razor: Rockwell 6S
Brush: Zenith 506ALL SE boar
Soap & Preshave: Proraso green
Blade: Astra Stainless Steel, 20th shave (carryover from 1-Blade February Challenge)

First shave in 3 days to give my face a rest. No tugging, no weepers, but required a third pass to get the jawline smooth to the touch. That smoothness plus the Proraso cooling effect had me puffing out my chest. May finally be time to retire this blade. Maybe.

Followed the shave with home brewed Americano coffee, and then church. Great morning.

tempImageIicccv.jpg

Shave 7 on March 7

After yesterday's close but somewhat irritating shave (less than 24 hours prior!) I took it easy with a WTG, XTG, XTG shave. No ATG except on the jawline and no buffing at all. The result was a mixed bag of SAS, CCS, and DFS. Very little feedback from the alum or aftershave. It was a relaxing kind of shave, just doing something for the sake of enjoying it, not in order to have a perfect result.

I nailed the water/soap ratio by taking the brush out of the water, letting it drip by gravity until it stopped, then two light shakes to clear the excess. 150 laps on the dry puck and on to my trusty plastic bowl. The lather was never too airy or bubbly, and I only had to use two small additions of water to get the hydration I wanted. A nice, smooth, creamy result to work with.

I remember not liking the common bar handle of the razor at first, or its head-heavy nature, and now I don't notice either. It's perfectly fine. It's one of those reminders not to be so overly critical of something at first try, and give it more chances.

Happy Sunday all!

FFFMM Day 7:
Fatip Piccolo Slant
Silver Star (1)
Semogue C5 Torga premium boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap
Klar Seifen shave soap
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Pereja Limon Kolonya
LEA 3-in-1 aftershave balm with mild alcohol and menthol

Clean, close shave; accidental BBS

Took a day off yesterday. Today, installed a fresh Silver Star blade! Woah, exciting!
:laugh:

Good results, though. No problem doing this every day for awhile.

fixed-four-base-4.png

Top Bottom