What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

SOC boar
MWF
New SC
Bic Chrome Platinum (64)

After yesterday’s cleaning, the SOC brush seemed to have a bit more tooth. I squeezed out most of the water before loading from a bloomed puck. This delivered improved results, a decent amount of soap that today remained concentrated toward the tips. I started my first face lathering with (for once) a lather that started off too thick. Progress.

Not much lather left for passes 2 and 3, but enough to provide a visible layer and desired glide. Good result. I love the post-shave feel of MWF.

Pic is after pass 1.

68B48FB2-89D2-455D-AA5C-B830A68C4A94.jpeg

FFFMM : Saturday, March 6th, 2021

Shave # 2 on blade # 2 for the FFFMM month.

Pearl Flexi V2 set to setting 2 gave a smooth 2 pass BBS. I am loving the brush, soap, razor, blade combo.

I think I'll order 500 of those blades with 50 free blades for $17 shipped !:pipe:
20210306_222558.jpg

SOC boar
MWF
New SC
Bic Chrome Platinum (64)

After yesterday’s cleaning, the SOC brush seemed to have a bit more tooth. I squeezed out most of the water before loading from a bloomed puck. This delivered improved results, a decent amount of soap that today remained concentrated toward the tips. I started my first face lathering with (for once) a lather that started off too thick. Progress.

Not much lather left for passes 2 and 3, but enough to provide a visible layer and desired glide. Good result. I love the post-shave feel of MWF.

Pic is after pass 1.

View attachment 1232801
I was watching Kevy use Ta-fat yesterday, and he said that in his opinion MWF, and Tabac, have to be loaded like you hate it, and they can take a ton of water as well, so I tried that today with my MWF and had great results!

Anyway March 6th FFFMM SOTD #3
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Dorco Prime (4)
Soap: MWF
Brush: RR boar

Great shave, only one weeper that happened because of a blemish, and it was tiny. Hardly any burn when I used my alum block.

March 6th FFFMM #6

Razor: CV Heljestrand MK 31 5/8 full hollow
Brush: Rein Dachs badger
Soap: Maggard’s Mango Sage Tea

So yesterday I took the MK 31 back to the black Ark (just to be sure) and then went through the Method progression. I’ve done this on a number of razors and the result is always the same - sharp before, smooth afterwards. So i took it thru the full 3 passes (WTG, XTG and ATG). For ATG I did it 100% including the Fool’s Pass. That was perhaps a touch too far, the Fool’s Pass went OK but I ended the final pass with 4 red dots just above my chin. So the streak of bloodless days is over. Clearly my ATG technique needs some work.

92AF5D93-612C-4C9E-AD9F-4A1385CA14ED.jpeg

March 6, Shave 5

The Rodgers is still plenty sharp and provided a full-on BBS result. So in the FFFMM I've already learned that my expectation that lack of daily touch ups on balsa would become immediately noticable, is utter hogwash.

And best lather yet from the MdC/Merit combo.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Day 1
No shave. Spent a bit of time rubbing a blade on a synthetic hone. Got bored. Had steak and eggs.

Day 2
More stubble grown. Hones rubbed on more emery. Blade rubbed on coarsest hone. More boredom.
Blade still not sharp yet, but getting nearer. Boredom induced craving for chocolate takes priority.

Day 3
Inspected edge. Extent of metal removal needed, now becoming apparent. First time honing without tape, and bevel is a LONG way from being set. Coarser abrasive needed, and a lot more time. Sulked. Ate more chocolate.

Day 4
Hit BOTH blades with 250 grit and 600 grit. Close to establishing new apexes, but bevels are as wrinkled as Methuselah's arse.

Day 5
Still in! Haven't actually shaved yet, but the same four items weren't used for all the shaves I haven't had.

Day 6
Further abrasion of blades and brain cells. Still on 1k hone, and full of pasta.

Razor: Gillette Goodwill #160
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (35th)
Brush: Zenith 205 boar (aka B17)
Cream: Cella

I will load a fresh GSB tomorrow, but I think 35 shaves was a good run with this one. I will also move what remains of the Cella from the tub to my loading bowl and should have more than enough to complete the month. Totally enjoying the FFFMM...

Merkur 34C
Astra SP (4)
Omega 10066
Proraso Green preshave
MWF

2 passes, WTG and a clean-up

I started out with too much water in the brush, aborted and proceeded thusly. A dribble of water on the surface of the soap, poured off, squeezed all excess water from the brush and loaded heavy. Excellent lather. For the second pass it was quite thin, I added a touch more water, thinner yet and more slippery, it shaved very well. The clean-up pass, with ghost lather, took nothing off. DFS+, borderline BBS on the right side of my face.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Day 1
No shave. Spent a bit of time rubbing a blade on a synthetic hone. Got bored. Had steak and eggs.

Day 2
More stubble grown. Hones rubbed on more emery. Blade rubbed on coarsest hone. More boredom.
Blade still not sharp yet, but getting nearer. Boredom induced craving for chocolate takes priority.

Day 3
Inspected edge. Extent of metal removal needed, now becoming apparent. First time honing without tape, and bevel is a LONG way from being set. Coarser abrasive needed, and a lot more time. Sulked. Ate more chocolate.

Day 4
Hit BOTH blades with 250 grit and 600 grit. Close to establishing new apexes, but bevels are as wrinkled as Methuselah's arse.

Day 5
Still in! Haven't actually shaved yet, but the same four items weren't used for all the shaves I haven't had.

Day 6
Further abrasion of blades and brain cells. Still on 1k hone, and full of pasta.
Have you tried dragging the blade across the chocolate, it's not going to make it any sharper, but at least you'll get some use out of it making chocolate curls

FFFMM 2021 SOTD #6
SOTD-WR2-W_2021-03-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "Worlds Finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (6)
ASL: Pinaud Lime Sec

A fine shave. :biggrin:

Everything is going well in ZenShaveLand. Albeit in tiny amounts, the shaves are definitely getting better on all fronts. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

March 6th FFFMM #6

Razor: CV Heljestrand MK 31 5/8 full hollow
Brush: Rein Dachs badger
Soap: Maggard’s Mango Sage Tea

So yesterday I took the MK 31 back to the black Ark (just to be sure) and then went through the Method progression. I’ve done this on a number of razors and the result is always the same - sharp before, smooth afterwards. So i took it thru the full 3 passes (WTG, XTG and ATG). For ATG I did it 100% including the Fool’s Pass. That was perhaps a touch too far, the Fool’s Pass went OK but I ended the final pass with 4 red dots just above my chin. So the streak of bloodless days is over. Clearly my ATG technique needs some work.

View attachment 1232878

You're doing better than I am, I still don't go for the fool's pass. I'm new to honing, but I've used razors honed on Synthetics by friends. I am a fan of my Black Ark edges honestly. I do skip "the method" and opt just to strop on canvas with crox, then clean leather. It probably explains why my edge feels slightly better after 3-4 shaves, whereas "the method" would probably make shave 1 the best. I'll have to try it one day just haven't gotten around to it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It did not arrive in time for me to participate in FFFMM, but my ATT Windsor SSR1 arrived on March 2, and I have to say using it every day for a month with a Crystal, MdC Fougere, a Kent BK4, and 4711 will be both easy and fun. It is a very easy razor to use.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Piccolo
Blade: New Gillette Platinum (4)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Soap: Proraso Green (Tub)
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
045_19.jpg

I went and got my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine today (I work in Education). I drove home and smoked a cigarette. Then I shaved. All in all it's a good day and shave.

You're doing better than I am, I still don't go for the fool's pass. I'm new to honing, but I've used razors honed on Synthetics by friends. I am a fan of my Black Ark edges honestly. I do skip "the method" and opt just to strop on canvas with crox, then clean leather. It probably explains why my edge feels slightly better after 3-4 shaves, whereas "the method" would probably make shave 1 the best. I'll have to try it one day just haven't gotten around to it.

My working theory is that if I get good enough at the black Ark, perhaps I won’t need the Method Edge. But I’m not there yet. From my kitchen knife honing I already had 1 balsa with 0.5u diamond paste, so it seemed not much of a leap to full Method since I was already 1/3 there.

I was happy enough with today’s Fool’s Pass, no blood on the upper lip and almost at BBS. But I still can not do it the way I have seen in some videos. Most days on the 3rd pass I do XTG on the upper lip, it’s not as close, but a lot less risky of irritation.

I also have a hard Ark and I have done at least one razor where I only use the hard Ark and the black Ark to get the job done. Honing definitely improves with practice. I’ve bought about 20 razors on eBay (mostly beaters) and honed them up. Lately I’ve been buying razors with obvious issues, so almost more restorations than simple honing. Nothing helps your technique like practice!

Shave 6

Ds Cosmetics T7
Treet DuraSharp Blue (8)
MWF
Oumo/custom brush

(No photo again today)

Still no hint of any deterioration in the blade... I was thinking a week might be pushing it to begin with but shave 8 continues to be smooth and efficient, no complaints at all!

Nothing helps your technique like practice!
Indeed... with the proviso that "perfect practice makes perfect" whereas "continual practice" (as in doing the same thing over and over again) gets you nowhere (except maybe depressed).

For an analogy, consider the guy who's been behind the wheel for hundreds of thousands of miles (i.e. very experienced), but is still a lousy driver.

Just my two cents. :wink2:

Indeed... with the proviso that "perfect practice makes perfect" whereas "continual practice" (as in doing the same thing over and over again) gets you nowhere (except maybe depressed).

For an analogy, consider the guy who's been behind the wheel for hundreds of thousands of miles (i.e. very experienced), but is still a lousy driver.

Just my two cents. :wink2:

agreed! The point of practice is to perfect technique, identify weaknesses, and then correct them. Simply repeating without focusing on improvements will get you nowhere.

Top Bottom