What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

FFFMM March 3rd

Razor: Heljestrand MK 31
Brush: Rein Dachs Badger
Soap: Maggard’s Mango Sage Tea

The before now hidden fourth fixed element - Razor Emporium strop. Currently only using the leather portion.

Today was a 3 pass day, DFS with no irritation, though I did opt for ATG instead of a Fool’s Pass on the upper lip. The razor felt quite comfortable in my hand. I own about 20 straights and in February I am pretty sure that I used every single one of them. So maybe there is a benefit to actually using the same razor multiple days in row.

Yesterday I overloaded the brush for the 1-pass. Today I barely had enough for 3 passes. The lather on the last pass was thin and watery, but it was still slick, which is what matters most!
DD2FAC07-09F3-4BE7-B846-21C2A9E86222.jpeg

FFFMM #2 - March 3rd

Razor: R41
Blade: Astra
Soap: SV Dolomiti

Over the past months, working from home given the situation, I reduced shaving to once a week. This is where I have learned to appreciate an open comb razor such as the R41 as it easily provides a BBS result with only little effort, given the right preparation...

That’s exactly what I have learned today... For my second shave in this FFFMM, as it was only a two-days growth, a rushed skin preparation combined with a too dry lather resulted in a rather uncomfortable shave.

So, lesson learned, no shortcut on preparation when shaving with the R41.

FFFMM 2021 SOTD #3
SOTD-WR2-G_2021-03-03.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "Worlds Finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: Clubman Whiskey Woods

A lovely shave. :biggrin:

A new present arrived in the post today. A whole 50ml of Clubman Whiskey Woods after shave. I gave it my initial sniff test followed by a drop on the wrist sniffed half an hour later. The initial sniff (top note) was pleasant enough, but I couldn't describe it. The later sniff (base note) had me thinking. I was sure I knew that smell, but from a long time ago... blank. :001_rolle

Ten minutes later it hit me. Pledge furniture polish!
I'm pleased to say I quite liked that smell. Sitting here a couple of hours post-shave I'm really enjoying it; it blends with the shaving soap's Japanese Orange scent just great. (The things we do for science! :crazy:)

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Shave #3 - No photo today, just wasn't feeling like it.

Ds Cosmetics T7
Treet DuraSharp Blue (5)
MWF
Oumo/custom handle brush

The DuraSharp Blue is ageing well - shave #5 was, if anything, better than shave #4, still very sharp but felt smoother today... Taking care to thoroughly dry the blade each day and inspect for any signs of rust on the edge but so far so good!

Onwards!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wednesday, March 3
FFFMM

Razor: Executive set on #5
Blade: Feather (3)
Brush: Semogue Mistura #22
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

The more I use this kit, the more I am looking forward to shaving every day again. :letterk1:

The Semogue Finest Butterscotch Mistura is well on its way to being broken in, it is a real lather monster, and feels better on my face with every shave.
With the rain we had today I can't think of a better scent than the Stirling Bay Rum, the lather providing a super cushion today.
The Feather (3), still feels as sharp as out of the tuck and is getting smoother with each shave.

I almost started the FFFMM with the Feather(7) that I used for my first shave in my Executive, but I wanted to see how it felt with a fresh blade. Even on the lower settings when I can barely feel the blade, this razor is no pussycat.
Not that it feels like it will jump up and bite without warning, but it lets you know it is here. It means business. It is here to give you a shave, and it serves up a damn fine shave with all the smoothness and precision you would expect from a razor of this caliber. It is a great razor.

Today's shave was a simple WTG first pass, then a XTG second pass. The shave was blissfully comfortable, the Witch hazel and Pinaud Classic Vanilla on giving me a light burn and the Nivea balm going on smoothly and soft.

I can't think of a better kit for the FFFMM.

20210303_164446[1].jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
doug's ff kit 2021.jpg

Brush: Semogue Mistura #22
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla

Razor: Executive set on #5.This razor is no pussycat. Not that it feels like it will jump up and bite without warning, but it lets you know it is here. It means business. It is here to give you a shave, and it serves up a damn fine shave with all the smoothness and precision you would expect from a razor of this caliber.

It is a great razor.

I agree entirely about the razor. It was a contender for my Fixed, but I decided on a learning curve razor, the Wunderbar, instead.

The Mistura is very hard to beat, isn't it.

12-20.CaribbeanHoliday.HyaluroncAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Sometimes before too long I need to try that vanilla you're using. I've got a vanilla splash, the Italian Barber Caribbean Holiday which is very vanilla with just enough complexity (and that's not much). I wonder if the version you're using is more vanilla or a slightly different scent or what?

Only one way to find out.

If you like bay rum, the Stirling BR splash is a good one. It doesn't, to my nose, compare well with my very favorites, but it's still good, and it's very intense in its brief burn. Very intense! In a good way. I think it a better scent than the BR in the Stirling soap, although the BR soap is also nice.

To me, the Feather blade is a no go, but I totally understand how great they are if they don't cause post shave irritation (which is what happens when I use them).

I like your kit choices.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Day 1
No shave. Spent a bit of time rubbing a blade on a synthetic hone. Got bored. Had steak and eggs.

Day 2
More stubble grown. Hones rubbed on more emery. Blade rubbed on coarsest hone. More boredom.
Blade still not sharp yet, but getting nearer. Boredom induced craving for chocolate takes priority.

Day 3
Inspected edge. Extent of metal removal needed, now becoming apparent. First time honing without tape, and bevel is a LONG way from being set. Coarser abrasive needed, and a lot more time. Sulked. Ate more chocolate.

Day 4
Hit BOTH blades with 250 grit and 600 grit. Close to establishing new apexes, but bevels are as wrinkled as Methuselah's arse.

No. 3
IMG_0306.jpg

Pre:-
Razor: G-FOCS
Blade: Wizamet 4th use
Brush: Semogue Mistura Finest Butterscotch
Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rum
Result: CCS, 2 weepers on my neck/beardline

I achieved a breaktrough today. No not really, but as feared, the bottom of my soap bowl is already visible. The shave was a bit rushed today and I was not really focused. So on the result - no blames for the equipment but only on the operator.

Bic #62

I loaded MWF with a wetter brush today, and things went better. Again I made a point to load heavy.

The SOC seems to want to send most of the lather up to the base of the knot and let it seep out from there. Is that just what this brush is about?

I got a well-hydrated lather that was substantial enough to last three passes and to hold up on the face each time. Still not what I would call thick, but once again I am satisfied with the results.

The picture is after the first round of face lathering.

19586D16-6E44-4AD0-BA43-CBF416692F71.jpeg

Shave #2

Razor: Merkur 39C
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel
Soap: Razorock P160 Special Shaving Soap
Brush: Omega Pro 48 Boar

Good progress made, no weepers and much less post-shave irritation than the first time out. With using Kai blades in other razors, it tends to get smoother and overall better shaves as the number of passes go up. That pattern seems to be applying for this kit as well.

FFMM_2021.jpg

Day 4

Another ridiculously close shave with the Rodgers. I'm so used to touching up the edge on diamond pasted balsa after every shave, I've lost track of how well it actually holds an edge. I'm starting to wonder if I'll get to use any of my touch up stones this month ...

And another great lather from the MdC. Almost missed it, but added a touch more water on a whim and there it was. Liking this soap very much. And my better half loves the scent.

Top Bottom