What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2021 Edition

I didn't shave yesterday, so I'm in!
Ranger Tech
RR Alchemy croap and splash
GSB
No name boar brush that was my Fathers
Simple kit, but I'm giving the Christopher Bradley a rest after over a solid shift of over a month.

Fixed Four 2021.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tuesday, March 2

FFFMM

Razor: Executive Fatboy set on #3
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Semogue Mistura
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
ASL: Lucky Tiger Bay Rum

Last night's shave was close enough that I could have skipped shaving tonight, but I couldn't resist and set the Executive on #3, loaded the Mistura light and made two light ATG passes.

Most of the feedback was audible, but I could feel the blade gently cutting the tops off of the stubble. Smooth, slow strokes was the name of the game tonight, and a very nice shave was had.
The Witch hazel and LT Bay Rum did give me a burn, the Nivea balm felt nice and refreshing.

My face is very smooth, but my neck is not as close as yesterday, so I will probably set the razor on #4 for the next shave.
I'm looking forward to more shaves with this kit.

20210302_182210[1].jpg

Yesterday’s post can be found here: What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-straight-did-you-use-today-now-with-pictures.248174/post-11150560

FFFMM #2
razor: CV Heljestrand MK 31 - used by me for the first time ever yesterday
Soap: Maggard’s Mango Sage tea - another new acquisition that was opened yesterday. Will be interesting to see how much is left at the end of the month.
Brush: Rein Dachs Badger which I’ve used for at least 6 years

After spending some of Sunday reading threads on burnishing (or not) of arks, I decided to relap mine at 600grit and then put the razor to it last night. Can’t really see a difference, will try a few more times then go to the Method edge. A goal for this month is to see how far I can take this edge.

Today was a 1-pass with face lathering. Loaded way more soap than I needed.View attachment 1230812 So that is something else to play with in the coming days.

I hone with Ark stones. While I just started honing razors in the past 6 months, I've been freehand honing knives and tools (plane blades, wood chisels, etc) with Arkansas stones. I tend to believe they are much less voodoo magic than they are made out to be. So long as it is flat, a black Ark will hone a decent edge if it isn't clogged with swarf.

I always hone 50 laps on a Canvass strop with CROX, followed by 50 laps on plain leather. My best razor keeps me perfect BBS for 6-8 hours after shave. BTW, that razor is beautiful.

Day 2 shave yesterday with my Frederick Reynolds razor was as butter smooth as I could have ever asked for. It still does not shave as close as my best razor, but I would say it is my smoothest razor.

I'm beginning to learn Cella and bowl lathering. Cella seems to form a lighter lather than what I've been used to. While I will say it doesn't cushion quite as well as AOS, I find it doesn't dry out on my face quite as fast as AOS. I love that, as I frequently had to rush a pass to keep lather from drying out before.

M

member 119848

Shave #2
Razor:
Timeless Ti .68
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: 24mm Solar Flare
Soap & Aftershave: Proraso Red

My soap doesn´t smell so good as it used to. 😬 It reminds me of cheese (in a bad way). Can shaving soap go bad?
From now I am going to scoop soap in my shaving bowl. Allowing the soap in the puck to stay dry for conservation purposes.
And I´m going to order some new Proraso red before I dump this one.

IMG_1930.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5d0.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Day 1
No shave. Spent a bit of time rubbing a blade on a synthetic hone. Got bored. Had steak and eggs.

Day 2
More stubble grown. Hones rubbed on more emery. Blade rubbed on coarsest hone. More boredom.
Blade still not sharp yet, but getting nearer. Boredom induced craving for chocolate takes priority.

Day 3
Inspected edge. Extent of metal removal needed, now becoming apparent. First time honing without tape, and bevel is a LONG way from being set. Coarser abrasive needed, and a lot more time. Sulked. Ate more chocolate.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Ate more chocolate.

Stuffing one’s feelings down with chocolate is excellent and much less labor-intensive than doing so with a United States homage to shepherds’ pie.

What I do wonder is if buckling down on the honing so as to evict the squatters in the previously pristine fields of your goatee tenant might also be satisfying.

Fingers crossed your urge to vorpalize your novel blade choice overcomes you.

My soap doesn´t smell so good as it used to. 😬 It reminds me of cheese (in a bad way). Can shaving soap go bad?
I'm a long time Proraso Red lover and user. I've probably never kept a tub long enough to find out. The only soap ever to do that for me (barring the cheese smell) was (the original) red tub Cella (which is the only soap I know of with a reputation for going "off").
From now I am going to scoop soap in my shaving bowl. Allowing the soap in the puck to stay dry for conservation purposes.
I would NEVER do that. I simply load from the tub then face lather... and then shut the lid as per Proraso's instructions:

1614778443873.png

But then, I'm not you. So please do exactly as you see fit. :thumbsup:
And I'm going to order some new Proraso red before I dump this one.
An excellent idea. :cornut:

Bic #61

Loaded MWF from a mostly dry brush as planned and then added some water as I lathered on my face.

This was not so effective at loading soap for me I think as my lather was thin and weak. Despite going back for more soap I didn’t get anything substantial enough to mark where I had shaved on passes two and three.

Still a pleasant shave with excellent result, and my face feels great after. Cannot fault MWF in that regard.

Back to a wetter brush tomorrow.

D4128984-DE9D-453A-A164-50FC186396D0.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Stuffing one’s feelings down with chocolate is excellent and much less labor-intensive than doing so with a United States homage to shepherds’ pie.

What I do wonder is if buckling down on the honing so as to evict the squatters in the previously pristine fields of your goatee tenant might also be satisfying.

Fingers crossed your urge to vorpalize your novel blade choice overcomes you.

Only three days into a month long quest. I think I'm pretty much on schedule so far. :thumbup1:

SOTD
Razor: Baili 176
Brush: unnamed inexpensive synthetic
Soap: Homemade Lemon Eucalyptus
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge(3)

Got DFS today and my neck paid for it. I was in a rush and did not give this blade the respect it deserves. Even in a very mild razor a sharp blade can bite you if you are careless enough. I enjoyed the shave, but I typically do enjoy the things I pay for. Bet I am more careful tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_075540680~2.jpg
    IMG_20210303_075540680~2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom