What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

This confirms my 2020 FFFMM shave rig...

fffmm2020.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 20/48 silvertip 2-Band.
Cream: Nancy Boy replenishing cream.
Razor: Timeless .68 titanium base w/ Timeless stainless cap & handle.
Blade: Personna comfort coated blue.

:thumbsup:

Okay. I don't have a photo of my setup yet but everything arrived in the mail:

Brush: Yaqi 22mm Synth
Lather: AOS Unscented Cream
Razor: Gillette US Prewar Fat Handle Tech
Blade: GSB

I shave every other day so my tuck of GSB should last. I think the AOS cream will last. This will be fun.

I'm playing around with Bay Rum aftershaves. While there are some I enjoy over others, I haven't met a bad scent yet. :)

Okay. I don't have a photo of my setup yet but everything arrived in the mail:

Brush: Yaqi 22mm Synth
Lather: AOS Unscented Cream
Razor: Gillette US Prewar Fat Handle Tech
Blade: GSB

I shave every other day so my tuck of GSB should last. I think the AOS cream will last. This will be fun.

I'm playing around with Bay Rum aftershaves. While there are some I enjoy over others, I haven't met a bad scent yet. :)
Happy to hear your plan came together. While there are already a number of threads about Bay rum, I look forward to hearing your findings.

Omega 10049 brush
Tabac shaving soap
Muhle R41 razor (yes i dare)
BIC Chrome Platinum blades

Great idea.
I wont even go ATG with the R41, but I'm gona perfect my stretching tehnique in the second XTG and third cleanup pass. The results are better than going ATG with my Merkur 34C.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_133218.jpg
    IMG_20200228_133218.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
I don't have cool kit or awesome photography skills but I love the idea. I'm in...
Looks perfectly cool to me Got_Fever. :001_cool:

PS
As a favor to those (including me) who can't name every piece of shaving kit on sight... please also list your brush, soap/cream, razor, and blade in writing. Cheers. :biggrin:

I'm in for this year's Fixed Four just to give it a whirl. Over the next two weeks, I'll try to narrow down and try out my choices so the setup is a good one.

Tentative Setup
Razor: Gillette Tech pre-war + WCS 84s handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Vie-Long White Horsehair Fan brush
Soap: Cella red tub

I've also been thinking about an Italian All-Stars lineup with Fatip Grande, Omega Pro 49, Cella red tub, etc. We'll see.
I've been experimenting a bit, so I think I'll change my FFFMM setup to this Italian-American Team:

Setup
Razor: Fatip Piccolo Mk2
Brush: Omega 49 Pro boar

This will give me a chance to really get to know the Fatip Piccolo Mk2, a razor I've been coming to like a lot recently. If it proves to be a bit too much for daily use, I should be able to skip a day now and then.

Since there aren't any truly Italian-made blades that I know of, I have to substitute something else, so the American Personna Med Prep should fit right in.

Reactions: Cal
I've been experimenting a bit, so I think I'll change my FFFMM setup to this Italian-American Team:

Setup
Razor: Fatip Piccolo Mk2
Brush: Omega 49 Pro boar

This will give me a chance to really get to know the Fatip Piccolo Mk2, a razor I've been coming to like a lot recently. If it proves to be a bit too much for daily use, I should be able to skip a day now and then.

Since there aren't any truly Italian-made blades that I know of, I have to substitute something else, so the American Personna Med Prep should fit right in.

Forgive me if I am telling you what you already know, but ... The MK2 Fatips are much tamer then their predecessors. Brad Maggard has a video discussing the Fatips, including the differences between the MK1 and MK2 versions. IMO it is a well done, instructive video, and you may want to watch it if you have not seen it already.

Either way, good luck with F3M2, and happy shaves!

Forgive me if I am telling you what you already know, but ... The MK2 Fatips are much tamer then their predecessors. Brad Maggard has a video discussing the Fatips, including the differences between the MK1 and MK2 versions. IMO it is a well done, instructive video, and you may want to watch it if you have not seen it already.
Thanks, I've got the Mk1 Piccolo and the Mk2 Grande, which also provides the parts to make a Mk1 Grande and Mk2 Piccolo as well! Thanks to @shave/brush (Ron) for the nice PIF he sponsored for the Mk1 Piccolo, BTW. In fact, Ron asked me to write a comparison between the Mk1 and Mk2 so the FFFMM should help with that. I didn't want to attempt the whole month with the Mk1, so the Mk2 seemed the best choice.

I've seen Brad's video and it's good, but IMHO he exaggerates the cosmetic and alignment flaws, perhaps as a reaction to customer complaints. Maybe I'm lucky but I'm very satisfied with the Fatip, IMHO a great deal for an all-brass razor with great performance for around $22 or even less.

Final setup. I used the r-41 twice just to make sure I will want to commit to 1 month. I DO!

Razor: R41 2013
Handle: IKon Bulldog II satin finish
Base: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Rubberset #3 re-knotted with synthetic Horse hair
Soap: Palmolive Stick

F9366467-0934-40C1-908C-7BE72FD42E7C.jpeg

Last edited:
That synthetic horsehair knot looks really good, nice job on the restoration. How do you like it? And where can you get them?
It is my favorite brush. I just used beeswax on the finish after I sanded it smooth. I will have to check and see where that knot came from. I received it from a member on another forum. If I can locate the info I will let you know.

Tom

Top Bottom