What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

Hi,

Aaannnddd...The Last Day!

Well, not really. Tomorrow I change to a new Med Prep and continue one more fortnight with the ATT S2. I am doing pretty well with it at this point. I began Jan 10th with it and I usually go three months with any new razor before I get out of it all I can. :)

Stan

So, 31 shaves done for March 2020. My last two photos are from last Saturday and today.
Gear reminder:

Brush: Vielong "American style" Horse
Soap: Proraso Blue
Razor: Yaqi
Blade: Voskhod (#31)
ASL: Corine Farme Tabac Spirit

Here's to all who made it and to all who didn't.
Once again my gratitude to @Cal for organizing this.
IMG_20200328_133838276_HDR-01.jpeg
IMG_20200331_110609945-01.jpeg

And to you. Just think of the agony of choice you will have now. Let's see, shall I use Williams, or Williams, or maybe Williams? Astra SP, but perhaps Astra SP, and don't forget Astra SP. Cremo Horsehair brush, but wait, what about the Cremo horsehair brush, or even the Cremo horsehair brush? It's going to be difficult.
:biggrin1:

Thank you. I have so many choices.

I could use Williams Mug soap, Williams or WMS.

There are three choices of blade edges. Only two are available on any given day:

1. Rookie (0-40 shaves)
  2. Experienced (41-80 shaves)
  3. Senior (81-100 shaves)

1. I can wash my face with Dr. Bronner's or use plain water before shaving.
  2. I can use Mennen Skin Bracer or water after shaving
  3. I can use both
Then there is the choice of shaving before or after lifting weights. I could name more choices, but it would take weeks. :)

All done - I made it through FFFMM. Thanks to @Cal for hosting the thread!

FFFMM
  • Rubberset 203, reknotted to 28mm boar
  • Cella
  • 1937 Sheraton
  • Nacet
I made a solid dent in my Cella, shaving for roughly 22 of the days. Of the items in my kit, I learned the most about the brush; namely, it's a lather hog that demands a strong load. I'm looking forward to going back to my Maggard 24mm synthetic. I'll also be trialing a Fatip Piccolo and a Schone in April.

Congratulatons and happy shaves, everyone!

March 31st - Shave 8

Well, my 8th and last shave in this FFFMM. I shave much less at the moment and this FFFMM allowed me to experiment with the shave preparation. The shave itself remained the same during the whole month, Derby blade with R89 and Truefitt Apsley, but shaving only once or twice a week, I could especially check out what provides the best preparation, shaving oil, proraso pre-shave cream, hot towel,... To my surprise, what worked best was the hot towel.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
FFFMM Shave 22

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Vintage 1980's Fatip
Blade: Polsilver (7)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave
046_45.jpg

Today was my last Shave of FFFMM. It was a short and sweet one pass wtg shave. The choice of hardware and software made this FFFMM the easiest one ever. Though, I must say it was the craziest FFFMM ever. :yikes: I'll do a review, totally unbiased of course, of the Fatip Lo Storto tomorrow. Well done to all who crossed the finish line and stuck it out! You know who you are and you :punk:!

Last edited:
My thirty-first FFFFMM shave 3/31/2020. Two passes north to south and one pass east to west.
Razor: Gillette NLC with custom handle.
Brush: Made Rite #44 24mm Silvertip (restored)
Blade: Astra SP (12)
Cream: Proraso White

My final shave for this month was much better than the first shave of the month. I chose a rather "safe" kit but still learned a few improvements as a result of the daily repetition.

I would like to thank Cal and all of the other participants who contributed ideas and helpful advice.
Please let me know if there is an April activity similar to this one.

IMG_0480.JPG

Thank you all y'all who joined in this year's FFFMM, especially those who learned something from it, and more especially those who managed to stay in for the whole month. :biggrin:

ADDITIONALLY
Thank you for all the nice comments and likes, much appreciated. :cornut:

FFFMM Shave 22

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Vintage 1980's Fatip
Blade: Polsilver (7)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave
View attachment 1081094
Today was my last Shave of FFFMM. It was a short and sweet one pass wtg shave. The choice of hardware and software made this FFFMM the easiest one ever. Though, I must say it was the craziest FFFMM ever. :yikes: I'll do a review, totally unbiased of course, of the Fatip Lo Storto tomorrow. Well done to all who crossed the finish line and stuck it out! You know who you are and you :punk:!

Thanks Cal!
I learned a lot and discovered the RPL. Let’s do this again. 👍👍

Final Shave
How fitting that my last shave of the month was one of the best. While the Fixed Four is over with, and I plan to try out my "new" razors and experiment with different blades, I'll keep continuing to hone my technique with my Piccolo. I'll go back to bouncing around from soap to soap, planning not to buy any new soaps until I've exhausted my current supply. My brush will continue to get daily use for the foreseeable future.

Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE
Razor: Astra SP
Brush: Stirling Synthetic 2-band
Soap: Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents

Some final thoughts:
This was a pleasant diversion and I am grateful to have taken part. I think I learned some things and I feel like I got to know other members for the first time in three years (both those I interacted with directly and those I didn't). I also got some exposure to various products I wasn't too familiar with, giving me options for new things to try out in the future. Thanks to everyone who participated, even if you were unable to make it to the end.

Fixed Four.jpg

I made it too!
I got a solid month in with my Grande, made a great dent in a tub of Stirling soap, and learned that a single great blade (February) feels better after 16 shaves than a mediocre one changed out every few days.
Thanks again @Cal for hosting!

I made it! Frankly, it was really a pleasure. I really got used to the Envoy. It's one heck of a great razor. And I'm very comfortable with how to get the best from Mitchell's Wool Fat. So, although I have a backlog of things to try now, I have a set of four tools I've learned to use well. Thanks to Cal for setting this up!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom