What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
3-30-20.FixedFour.Kit.640.136.Vitos.CopMan.JPG

There are a couple of things I like about this Fixed as compared with the ones I've done in the past.
  • I like that I picked well so I've not grown tired of any portion of my kit.
  • I like that I've not become bored with the Fixed. It's actually been quite the opposite in that I've enjoyed not having to make any decisions concerning what kit to use.
I believe I have better learned - as a result of this Fixed Four - the value of decreasing the number of daily shaving related decisions. That's not to say I don't also look forward to trying out some new kit, new in the sense that it will be new to me and never used before, and also new in the sense of variety.

Happy shaves to you, gentlemen,

Jim

I had my final shave of the month today. I am looking forward to putting a different blade in my game changer and seeing if the blades I used this month are aggressive as they feel or if I just forgot how to use the razor over the course of the month. I am getting a decent size donut-hole in my Sharp Dressed Man which, based on previous rates of consumption for this soap, means I only have about 2 months worth of shaves left. Debating if I want to use Ghost Town Barber, Fine American Blend, Haslinger coconut, or a zingari soap. Fortunately I have a while to decide.

March 29 - Shave 14

Prewar Fat Handle Tech
GSB (2) - Third blade of the month.
Arko
Yaqi 22mm brush

I nicked myself near my nose because I started to knock something over and tried to catch it. There was also a weeper under my chin. Oddly enough, the rest of my face and neck seem fine. No major irritation. I think today I had the best lather. Not the best technique today even though I think I have some areas smoothed out that I didn't have before.

I've used a total of 3 blades during this challenge. I still want to work on extending the life of the blade. I know they are cheap but times have changed very quickly and drastically. My little Excalibur goals will be to reduce the number of blades to hit my one blade a month milestone. Then my next milestone would be to change blades every other month. And so on.

The Arko stick has hardly a dent in it. If times get tough this will be my go-to.

I think using the fixed setup has both made me realize the value of sticking to the four main components. It has also made me realize why some like to rotate things around. From a utilitarian standpoint, the fixed setup offers you a chance to hone your technique within set parameters. Having these limitations make it easier to adjust small variables to improve the shave. You can really evaluate whether or not you want to stick with any of these components long term. With all of the lather available (soaps, creams, etc.) from different makers, it can be hard to settle into one thing and I totally understand why some shavers want to do that.
View attachment 1080554

There are a couple of things I like about this Fixed as compared with the ones I've done in the past.
  • I like that I picked well so I've not grown tired of any portion of my kit.
  • I like that I've not become bored with the Fixed. It's actually been quite the opposite in that I've enjoyed not having to make any decisions concerning what kit to use.
I believe I have better learned - as a result of this Fixed Four - the value of decreasing the number of daily shaving related decisions. That's not to say I don't also look forward to trying out some new kit, new in the sense that it will be new to me and never used before, and also new in the sense of variety.

Happy shaves to you, gentlemen,

Jim

I agree!
When you make good choices, why stray from them?

Shave 29

Prep: Hot shower, ACH Brito Glyce Soap, Cella Pre-shave gel
Razor: Rex Supply Envoy
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Parker Long Loft Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-Shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
Aftershave: Atomic Age Bay Rum

My penultimate shave of the Fixed Four went off without a hitch. Four-pass BBS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cal
Shave 18
I set the bar too high yesterday. Still, this was a good shave and with the exception of one patch I wish I had shaved closer, no real complaints.

Razor: Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Stirling Synthetic 2-band
Soap: Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents

Fatip Piccolo Mk2
Personna Med Prep (2)
Omega 49 Pro boar brush, face lathering
Cella red tub
LEA balsam with alcohol & menthol

Approaching the finish line, I've got a few observations about this FFFMM.

I liked this little exercise much more than I expected to. My technique with these tools has improved, though I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing differently! I'm getting closer shaves with less effort, perhaps through muscle memory training.

Fatip Piccolo Mk 2 - This is a great little razor and quite a bargain at around $20 for all-brass construction and nice design. Fit & finish is not the best, but acceptable for the price. I can't argue with the results; a very smooth and close shaver with no irritation once "the touch" is learned. The only time I cut myself was when I was not paying attention.

Personna Med Prep - Very happy with these blades. A bit expensive but they do give a very smooth shave with good longevity, so it works out all right.

Cella - I would recommend it as a daily soap for anyone that doesn't have a reaction to the ingredients. Excellent, slick, smooth shaving and the skin does not feel dried-out. I could forgo aftershave and just use witch hazel. The almond scent fades down with time so it's pleasant and not overpowering. It's also very inexpensive to use.

Omega 49 - You cannot touch this for the $6.50 I paid -- it is an amazing value. Great boar knot that became progressively softer and more effective as the month went on. The plastic handle is cheap, but functional and comfortable, so I cannot complain.

For the rest of the year, I am going to be using my other gear. However, I'll try to keep the same setup for each two week period. Variety is nice, but I think it's better for me not to change things too often. I'll clear off my countertop, and store the clutter away.

fin-1.jpg

My thirtieth FFFFMM shave 3/30/2020. Two passes north to south and one pass east to west.
Razor: Gillette NLC with custom handle.
Brush: Made Rite #44 24mm Silvertip (restored)
Blade: Astra SP (11)
Cream: Proraso White

IMG_0476.JPG

I have really enjoyed the F2M2. The MdC performed as expected and actually cleared up some red spots I had from blade testing. So much so that some people at work even complimented my "fresh cut". lol.

Having said that, I will be glad when my last shave is done and I can finally 3017 the Williams doughnut that has been mocking me all month.

Congrats to all who made it through.

Lost count of the shaves with the weird changes to my work routine, but had another solid shave last night. Overall I don't have anything to really complain about from my set. Will likely change some things around for next month to see if the things that helped with this gear will translate to some different products.

F3M2_Basketball_Logo 33pct.png

30-MAR-2020 SOTN
FFFMM shave #16

SOTD 2020-03-16D.jpeg

PRE ........ Hot Water
BRUSH ...... Omega EVO Marble Ovale (E1855)
SOAP ....... Wholly Kaw Rebelle (Siero Tallow)
RAZOR ...... Supply V2 with 3 Dot Plate, Schick Proline B-20 (4)
POST CARE .. CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
FRAGRANCE .. Bulgari Man Black Orient EDP

Tonight’s shave was a smooth, comfortable DFS. As this may be my last shave of the month, this seems like a good time to post reflections. First and foremost, thanks once again to Cal, but thanks also to all the shavers who posted pictures and commentary. We get inspired and we learn a lot from looking at and listening to each other. It is a privilege not to be overlooked.

I set out to achieve two principal goals this month – first, giving the three dot Supply razor the cleanest shot to wow me and second, giving my badger infused brain the best possible opportunity to love a synthetic brush at least nearly as much. I’m content on both counts. The Supply is a fine razor, smooth and well constructed, but not top tier for me. OTOH the Evo was a pleasure, and I am anxious to see if the EVO honeymoon lasts after April comes and my favorite badgers once again tempt me. And FWIW both the Proline B-20 and the Wholly Kaw Rebelle get full marks from me.

Barring the unlikely event that I shave again tomorrow, this will be my last FFFMM shave for 2020. Thanks again to all.

March 31 - Shave 15

Prewar Fat Handle Tech
GSB (3)
Arko
Yaqi 22mm brush

Congrats to all that made it to your last FFFMM shave of 2020.

Overall, my face is smooth with some rough spots. I think I'm starting to get those worked out. I do have a little brush burn from trying to get a huge lather on my face. It didn't really work out that well. I still got a decent lather I did get a couple of nicks but no other irritation.

I will probably do this sort of thing on my own in April.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone.

Day #31

FIXED FOUR FOR MARCH MADNESS
Razor:
Viking Captain
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Astra SP (5th and final shave on 6th blade)
Soap:
Van der Hagen (using rain water)
Prep:
Results:
Liquid Antibacterial face and hand soap.
Rating 8.5 CAS An tolerable shave with worn out blade.

Top Bottom