What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

I honestly thought this was about NCAA hoops. If it were, my "fixed final four" would be Duke, Oregon, Kentucky and Gonzaga.

There
I think I'll pass on that one Mike. It does take the Seven Year Itch to new levels though. :letterk1:

It's not too late to combine the Cal Ripken challenges with the four-year Leap Year Restraint. You missed your chance for the 2020s ten-year restraint. The rules for the restraints can be more lenient than the annual Sabbatical depending on which rules the participant desires to follow.

The Cal Ripken challenges are brutally strict. The only way to complete all of them is to shave every day with a fixed setup. No replacements for a broken razor or brush.

Hi,

As usual, I am In

Also as usual, with my mix soap: half modern Carden Farms glycerine and half vintage Oster tallow barbershop soap from the 1950's model 222 LatherService machine. I found out long ago that glycerine is slipperier but dries out too quickly. Tallow keeps moisture a lot longer but isn't as slippery. My solution is half a puck of each in an Old Spice mug.

My razor has changed from my usual Fasan Double Slant to a new Above The Tie S2 slant. So, from a bakelite and Zamak mix to 303 Stainless Steel. That S2 is stout enough to qualify as one of those Axes mentioned in the original post! :p

I got the S2 in January and am still learning it, so I will stick with it for March before deciding to swap back and forth with the Fasan.

So, here is my Fixed Four:

Vie Long horsehair brush, 50/50 mane v tail hair
Carden Farms and Oster mixed soap
ATT S2 Slant DE razor
Personna Med Prep blades

And, once One Blade February is over, I will revert to using two Med Preps for the month. One on the First, and one on the Sixteenth. That is my usual blade useage. They do go 20-some days for me (I am still on the same blade in the S2 here on Day 22), but I prefer to go 15-16 days and then switching the blade out. I hate pushing all the way to a bad shave, then changing. I then either have to do another pass with the new blade or live with a 'meh' shave all day....

Stan

Hi,

Oh. Yes. Pics. Here is one. My mixed soap, my brush, three razors: My Grandfather's Old Type, my Fasan and my ATT S2. Also, the Lubriderm I use by way of an AS. The other bottle is Dawn in a hand soap bottle and not used for shaving. ;)

The toothbrush is used for the obvious, but if you look way Left you'll see the end of an old toothbrush head used for razor cleaning. :)

Stan

Hi,

Oh. Yes. Pics. Here is one. My mixed soap, my brush, three razors: My Grandfather's Old Type, my Fasan and my ATT S2. Also, the Lubriderm I use by way of an AS. The other bottle is Dawn in a hand soap bottle and not used for shaving. ;)

The toothbrush is used for the obvious, but if you look way Left you'll see the end of an old toothbrush head used for razor cleaning. :)

Stan
Are you using the lather machine at all, or just the soap that the machine uses?

Hi,

No, I found the soap on eBay back some time ago. I did look for a model 222 for a while, but eventually gave that up. I just use the soap in the mug with a brush.

I wanted a machine mostly to see just how it worked. The more usual Oster LatherService machines use liquid soap and a heater tank and a pump to mix the hot soap with air to make the lather. The 222 uses this puck soap and so: how does that work? No real information online other than a few old ads which don't delve into how it works.

I posted a thread asking about it at one point, but no one knew about it, either. I don't even know if it was supposed to be a home unit or just for smaller barbershops or what. Something lost in shaving history maybe forever. It just doesn't have the widespread appeal of brushes and razors.

Here is a link to that 222 thread, if anyone cares:

Stan

Hi,

No, I found the soap on eBay back some time ago. I did look for a model 222 for a while, but eventually gave that up. I just use the soap in the mug with a brush.

I wanted a machine mostly to see just how it worked. The more usual Oster LatherService machines use liquid soap and a heater tank and a pump to mix the hot soap with air to make the lather. The 222 uses this puck soap and so: how does that work? No real information online other than a few old ads which don't delve into how it works.

I posted a thread asking about it at one point, but no one knew about it, either. I don't even know if it was supposed to be a home unit or just for smaller barbershops or what. Something lost in shaving history maybe forever. It just doesn't have the widespread appeal of brushes and razors.

Here is a link to that 222 thread, if anyone cares:

Stan

Can't guarantee this is your model as I haven't read it all but patent application US2925202A might help shed some light. (here's the full url for it if you trust links from strangers over the internet US2925202A - Lather making machine - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US2925202 ) It talks about an Oster latherservice machine that makes lather from bar soap.

Edited to add: After reading your posted thread and looking at the drawings, it looks like the same soap. It also looks like it was an improvement over a pre-existing Johnson and Johnson lather machine that used soap.

Last edited:
I'm totally in (again). I don't know what my FF will be, yet, but I'll post it before March starts. Whee! :D

C398EFD0-ADA4-4619-905A-FFFA3145DD1A.jpeg

...unless I change my mind about the soap and/or brush...

Can't guarantee this is your model as I haven't read it all but patent application US2925202A might help shed some light. (here's the full url for it if you trust links from strangers over the internet US2925202A - Lather making machine - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US2925202 ) It talks about an Oster latherservice machine that makes lather from bar soap.

Edited to add: After reading your posted thread and looking at the drawings, it looks like the same soap. It also looks like it was an improvement over a pre-existing Johnson and Johnson lather machine that used soap.
Hi,

Hey! Thanks! yes, that look like it to me as well. Having patents myself, I am pretty good at looking such things over. I see how they managed to get soap off the puck with just water inside that unit. Nice. Clever, really. But, then, most patents are. ;)

Stan

The FFFMM is a wonderful idea and I just might abandon my current process and join in for a bit of fun. I am thinking it might be a good opportunity to focus on a soap or cream that I dont often use. Maybe even make a small dent in that jar of MdC that I have in a shoebox in the closet. Or maybe a tub of TOBS Lavender cream waiting to be used up.

I have to give this careful thought. Big decisions!! I see I still have a few days left to decide what my Fab Four might look like. Great idea.

Reactions: Cal
Count me in I've got to put the breaks on my temptation to buy and try too many razors and blades.

Which razor should I use?

Parker Semislant
Viking emperor Adjustable
Ikon X3
1960 Fatboy excellent Condition

Decisions Decisions

Count me in I've got to put the breaks on my temptation to buy and try too many razors and blades.

Which razor should I use?

Parker Semislant
Viking emperor Adjustable
Ikon X3
1960 Fatboy excellent Condition

Decisions Decisions
Ooh - the X3! A month of consistent use should be just the thing...

Can we use two razors?

One for 1st pass. And a different one for 2nd and/or 3rd pass.

Example icon x3 for 1st Pass and Fatboy at 2 for 2nd and/or 3rd pass

As long as we do it same way?

I'll play! I've got three brand new items inbound, so if they arrive in time I'll be using:

Rex Envoy razor
Dorco Prime Platinum blades
Pre de Provence No. 63 soap
Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic brush

If the shipment is late, I'll use:

Muhle Rocca R96 v4 razor
Personna Med Prep blades
Mr. Fine American Blend soap
Haircut & Shave 24mm synthetic brush

The timing is great for this, as I'm not spending any more money until my wife's birthday in April.

Good luck, everyone!

Ruling please.

I am thinking of jumping in on this. But have 1 question. I just received a Muhle r41 2013 model. I like efficient razors and have read all about these.

I like to tinker and was wondering if adding shims is permitted? If so here is my lineup. I picked my favorite soap, brush and a very familiar blade.
0D66E46E-A108-4067-9825-8432236DB53F.jpeg

Oo La La, Help me decide

For Soap Either
Proraso Shaving Soap In A Bowl
Or
Taylor of London Sandalwood.

For Blades Either
Gillette Nacet
Astra Platinum
Gillette Blue Silvers

I have the following Razors to choose from in order of when bought.
This is the hardest choice.

Viking Emperor Chrome Adjustable
Parker Semi Slant
Excellent Cond. Gillette Fat Boy
Ikon X3 Slant
and finally coming in a
Excellent Cond. Gillette Adjustable Slim

So I have to decide on just 1 for the 30 days. I'm leaning towards the FatBoy or the Slim.
Millions learned how to use these successfully and so can I?
I only Bought the Slim today so it might not arrive in time.

I figure it'd be fun to learn Play with the aggressiveness of the Adjustables. Maybe have an aggressive 1st pass and less aggressive 2nd Pass.

What do you all think.?

P.S I'm glad I'm joining this, it'll rain in my spending spree.

Okay, here's my lineup:

Brush: My Parker. It's my only brush
Razor: Rex Envoy. Got it today.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom