What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

F3M2_Basketball_Logo 33pct.png

Not the smoothest of sailing, but still quite a nice maiden voyage for the month. I wound up with a BBS shave, a few microdots that were kind enough to dry up on their own, and a subtle touch of heat on the skin.

I wet loaded using a variant of Marco's method in which I used a bowl instead of face lathering. I figured it would be neater and easier to critique. It was both. It seemed like there must be a ton of soap on the brush, but with hindsight, I should have pressed little harder and/or loaded longer.

I will say two things though. First, the lather looked and worked worked beautifully. It was shiny and incredibly slick. Second, the EVO held lots of water. After three passes and touchups, I squeezed a big dollop of lather out of the brush, and it was clearly on the wet side.

SOTD 2020-03-02N.jpeg

PRE Hot water
BRUSH Omega EVO Marble Ovale (E1855)
SOAP: WKaw Rebelle (Siero Tallow)
RAZOR Supply V2, Schick Proline B-20 (1)
SKIN CARE Brickell AS

Shave 2 Day 2
Razor: R-41
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Rubberset 3
Soap: Palmolive Stick

I normally do not shave everyday. So this will be interesting for me. I did my normal 3 pass shave. Same DFS as yesterday. Only slight sting with my Aluminum block. I use it after every shave. As it gives instant feedback. Only under my jaw did it sting.

After 2 shaves I still like this razor. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Still in the game. I’m getting itchy to use other tools, but I am learning about my refurbished brush and the Karve CB. Went slower today with a new Astra SP and got a very nice BBS shave. Also tried using distilled water with the MdC. It’s not simple when face lathering...
View attachment 1069550

I've used distilled water a few times and found some ideas that may help you face lather with it. First, if you have the counter space and don't mind using more distilled water than necessary, then just fill a "large" open top container with distilled water, soak your brush in it, and either dip your brush in the container as you build lather or dip your fingers in and dribble the water off of your fingers.

If a small container seems best, you may well have a right-sized brush soaking container laying around, ready to be used. I prefer a 3 ounce espresso cup, but an empty jar or a small enough bowl works too. The bottom of a Simpson cylindrical travel brush case also works great if you happen to have one, or something shaped like it. Just crimp the knot as needed, slide it in, and fill with distilled water cover the knot with some to spare.

You will see the water level drop as your brush soaks, but there will be distilled water left in the cup (or jar, bowl, etc.) after you remove the brush. If you do not already have a suitable medicine dropper, consider burning a couple of bucks and getting a 5ml plastic dropper. They are easy to fiddle with even with soapy hands, and they don't break in the worst case scenario. Just load the dropper, set it in the cup, use it to dispense a few drops, and set it back in the cup. Lather, rinse, repeat. I find this method quicker and easier than trying to dip the knot just far enough into a narrow container, or trying to load my fingers with the right amount of water.

I hope that helps.

Day 2, Shave 3

Prep: Hot shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Rex Supply Envoy
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-Shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block, Cold Water Rinse
After-Shave: Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice

If I can replicate the shave I got tonight, with the development of muscle memory - if tonight can be made repeatable, then this month's exercise will have been a thousand times worth it. I did a classic mantic59 4-pass shave, just the way he taught me all those years ago. My prep was extensive and pleasurable. The blade was smooth as silk with no tugging. I consistently applied no pressure and focused on the smooth glide of the blade across my face and neck. The glide was smooth thanks to the MWF lather, which was perfect tonight. I rinsed with warm water and then applied the alum Block, which did not burn. I had not a hint of irritation. The cold water Rinse was followed by my first try at Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice, which I like while it lasts, which could be longer.

As nearly perfect a BBS shave as I have ever accomplished.

And thinking about it now, I think that one contributing factor was my relaxed focus. No radio, no fan, just the sound of razor on skin, and water rinsing my blade. No distractions. I want this month to be about increasing the consistency of my good shaves, using proven good tools. Tonight I have set the bar high. Tomorrow I'll have to try and keep my focus on the process and let everything take care of itself. If I try to compete with tonight, I'll get in my own way.

Happy shaving everyone!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Happy shaving everyone!
Great post fhalden. :001_cool: :cornut:

But being the nit-picking, pedantic, detail freak that I am... I do have one criticism. :devil:
I prefer the description "Soap" or "Cream" to "Lather." The reason for this is that we may both have the same soap or cream, but there is NO WAY that our lather is the same. This is due to a host of different things, e.g. our water, our brush, our lathering style/method, our physique, etc, etc. Rant over.

Please forgive me, I can't help it. :blushing: :letterk1:

I will happily defer to your sensitivity and henceforth use the word, "Soap." Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: Cal
Digging my choices for the month so far. I skipped a shave due to an unfortunate incident yesterday (See the newbie section) but back on track with possibly my best ever shave today.

I'd heard good things about Gillette Silver Blue blades and so far they're living up to the hype!

Glad I've revisited the Taylor's of Old Bond Street cream too. I was really disappointed by the coconut scent in the beginning which made me shelve it completely. Its performance definitely makes up for the lousy scent though.

My first March shave was today. My next will be Wednesday. Today I got things pretty smooth without any noticeable irritation. But there are a few spots here and there.
  • Prewar Fat Handle Tech
  • GSB
  • Arko
  • Yaqi 22mm brush
I like Arko. I'm not offended by the smell but I'm not in love with it either. It gave me a nice shave, better than the AOS cream that I've been trying to use up. After FFFMM, I will use up the AOS so that I don't waste it. I do prefer Arko over AOS at the moment. I think I may try a Proraso Red tub after both FFFMM and using up the AOS.

This month, I want to nail down shaving my neck and under the jawline. I'm still mapping things out. I can get my cheeks and under my nose fairly smooth.

This is exactly where I'm at with my shaves. Above the jaw is consistently smooth but anything below is an unknown. I have to shave in from the edge towards my Adam's apple on my lower neck to go ATG but it just doesn't play nice. I've found going XTG in a 45° angle towards my chin really helps there. Not perfectly smooth but really comfortable.

I've used distilled water a few times and found some ideas that may help you face lather with it. First, if you have the counter space and don't mind using more distilled water than necessary, then just fill a "large" open top container with distilled water, soak your brush in it, and either dip your brush in the container as you build lather or dip your fingers in and dribble the water off of your fingers.

If a small container seems best, you may well have a right-sized brush soaking container laying around, ready to be used. I prefer a 3 ounce espresso cup, but an empty jar or a small enough bowl works too. The bottom of a Simpson cylindrical travel brush case also works great if you happen to have one, or something shaped like it. Just crimp the knot as needed, slide it in, and fill with distilled water cover the knot with some to spare.

You will see the water level drop as your brush soaks, but there will be distilled water left in the cup (or jar, bowl, etc.) after you remove the brush. If you do not already have a suitable medicine dropper, consider burning a couple of bucks and getting a 5ml plastic dropper. They are easy to fiddle with even with soapy hands, and they don't break in the worst case scenario. Just load the dropper, set it in the cup, use it to dispense a few drops, and set it back in the cup. Lather, rinse, repeat. I find this method quicker and easier than trying to dip the knot just far enough into a narrow container, or trying to load my fingers with the right amount of water.

I hope that helps.
EXCELLENT! I’m still ”distilling” my procedure. That’s some great pointers! Thank you!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Day 3 is in the books.

Razor: Schone
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Vie Long Cremo Horse
Soap: Grooming Dept Aion

Strictly ATG today. In trouble areas such as the neck it’s one pass and then another lighter pass with less lather to clean up. Like many of you, I’m guessing, ATG is not always ATG. Meaning I have some areas where the hairs grow in more than one direction, so to truly go ATG there I have to shave in two directions. So I really need an additional pass from the bottom of my ears to bottom center of my neck.

All in all a better shave than yesterday. This razor shaves so close that as a daily driver the stubble is so short that a WTG pass for me is only a time waster. I was completely done in six minutes that includes mixing up the batter and doing the dishes.

4F1DFDB8-121A-4F56-BBD0-F83E03A9A6DB.jpeg

Spent longer loading for the third shave and was rewarded with a much improved lather. I’m still not too keen on the Karve with B plate and Wilkinson blade combo. Gave myself some red bumps on my neck due to adding too much pressure. This razor is way too mild in this configuration.

Now the question is do I hang in for the remainder of the fixed four, or say to hell with it and go to a Nacet or Feather blade to test the difference?

Top Bottom