FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

Day 1
9EE09598-CC14-4B98-8723-533E8CF5341B.jpeg

Razor: R-41 2013
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: Rubberset 3 Synthetic Horse Hair
Soap: Palmolive Stick
AS:British Sterling

First shave observations (personal opinions)
The R-41 appears to be a fairly efficient razor. For me after first shave. I prefer to be just off of the cap keeping as shallow angle as possible. At this angle I can feel the blade working. If I brought it at a steeper angle I felt as though it were scraping more than slicing.

The shave itself was very nice. I had a DFS 3 pass shave with a bit of cleanup on my right side neck and a spot under the right jaw. These are normal problem areas. As I plan to tweak my shave this month to see if I can improve on these areas.

I am also going to see how these blades last. I bin blades after 3 shaves normally. I prefer the blades nice and sharp. As I have 1 month with this setup. I might as well learn to shave with a blade longer.

Tom

I prefer to be just off of the cap keeping as shallow angle as possible. At this angle I can feel the blade working. If I brought it at a steeper angle I felt as though it were scraping more than slicing.
I guess you won't be joining us at the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance) any time soon then Tom. :001_tt2:
I am also going to see how these blades last. I bin blades after 3 shaves normally. I prefer the blades nice and sharp. As I have 1 month with this setup. I might as well learn to shave with a blade longer.
If you haven't already, do check out the Excalibur Club. :cornut:

What’s letting you down the most?

Good question, and I honestly think it's because I've jumped in with a new razor, soap and brush at the same time. The lather from the Dragonsbeard has been pretty weak, so I'm still working on dialing it in. Perhaps I've been spoiled with Haslinger, Tabac and Declaration Grooming's products as of late, but honestly, I haven't really had trouble developing a lather in quite some time so this is frustrating. The lather is thin and barely gets me two passes so loading seems to be the issue. I will try loading much heavier next shave on Tuesday. It also seems to be sensitive to water compared to what I typically use.

The other issue is just how hard it is to get a close shave with the Karve. Granted I ordered the B-Plate due to the fact that I typically prefer mild razors, such as the Merkur 34c. But paired with the Wilkinson Sword (India), I'm having a hard time with my neck, absolutely nowhere close to BBS, and honestly I would be hard pressed to say DFS.

So it appears I have some learning to do, I just wanted if I should have gone with a Nacet blade to balance the mildness from the B-plate.

I was very tempted by this, but I had a "new" (old) replacement razor to test.

The original thing that I wanted a "good one of" was a "Made in Canada" Gillette open comb, pre-war, the first I ever used, circa 1974 or 5, an heirloom, inherited from my dad. It had a "Made in Canada" baseplate.

The new one, off ebay, was a "Made in USA" under the baseplate, but otherwise more or less identical-looking, except that my dad's had most of it's nickel (?) plating eroded off, and this one looked like very good condition, with all of it on.

I admit I was scared, because my old one was like a cat with a bad temperament, and would punish any error with a cut for sure, and sometimes "reward" good technique with a random minor cut anyway, "just because"...

...but on reading B&B I realised it had a damaged top cap. Not its fault.

Maybe I was the one that damaged it.

Anyway (after an extremely slow and careful shave), I got an excellent result, no red. and I think that my "new" one is a tame cat with sweet alignment.

I had my first shave of March yesterday with my fixed gear. I am not woried about any part of it except Nacets. They are plenty sharp and it might be hard to stick with them...luckily I shave ever 2-3 days, maybe skin will hold it together

First shave of March yesterday
Razor: Above The Tie S2, using Atlas handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Brush: Vie Long Horsehair
Soap: Vintage Oster tallow and Carden Farms glycerine 50/50 mix
ASL: Lubriderm

The pic shows the Kronos handle. I switched to the Atlas middle of February. I got the S2 in January with both handles and used the Kronos first. Now I am using the Atlas for a while - for the entire month of March.

The other two razors in the pic, my Grandfather's Old Type and my Fasan DoubleSlant will be sitting on the bench for March. The two soaps in the Old Spice mug is my usual way of mixing them using the brush, and I face-lather.

It was nice to finally bin that last blade which made it all 29 shaves of February. Also, I had to switch over to the Fasan toward the end, but I made it. Now back to the New Guy and changing the blade out (for a new Med Prep) on the 16th as I normally do - before it gets down to the end at 20-something days.

Stan

Raven Koenes

My precious!
FFFMM Shave 1

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Vintage 1980's Fatip
Blade: Polsilver (1)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
037_45.jpg

Today was my first shave of FFFMM 2020 Edition. I decided awhile back on using my Vintage 1980's Fatip razor, Polsilver blades, Proraso White soap, and my APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo. I had a very nice three pass shave which I alternate with a one pass wtg shave every other day.

For those that don't know, my Vintage Fatip, from the 1980's, looks a lot like the Grande, but there are striking differences. The handle is considerably shorter than the Grande. The column shaped grooves that make up the handle are thinner and there's more of them. The baseplate has 12 prongs instead of the eleven prongs on the Mk1 and Mk2. The cap is also 19mm like the new Mk2's, but it is 1mm thin whereas the Mk2 cap is 2mm thick.

I look forward to this years FFFMM. I chose some of my favorite old standbys. I've gone into it with soaps like Arko before and regretted it. I like Arko soap, but every day for a month got tiring. Anyways Cheers and Happy Shaves!

Last edited:
My first March shave was today. My next will be Wednesday. Today I got things pretty smooth without any noticeable irritation. But there are a few spots here and there.
  • Prewar Fat Handle Tech
  • GSB
  • Arko
  • Yaqi 22mm brush
I like Arko. I'm not offended by the smell but I'm not in love with it either. It gave me a nice shave, better than the AOS cream that I've been trying to use up. After FFFMM, I will use up the AOS so that I don't waste it. I do prefer Arko over AOS at the moment. I think I may try a Proraso Red tub after both FFFMM and using up the AOS.

This month, I want to nail down shaving my neck and under the jawline. I'm still mapping things out. I can get my cheeks and under my nose fairly smooth.

FFFMM Shave 2

Rex Envoy
Personna Med Prep (2)
Proraso White cream
H&S 24mm synthetic

I took it slower today, but the Envoy is still a little trickier than I'd like it to be. It's fussy about angle and I can't get it to clear nearly as much stubble on the first pass as my R41 or Rocca. I'm wishing it had a bit more blade exposure, too, so I could feel what's going on. My goal is to get back down to two passes, WTG & XTG, and have a DFS shave every time.

First shave for FFFMM done this morning. Too tired last night. Still really like the R89 but I'm not in love with the Astra SP blade. Not quite as smooth as the SS so far for me, but we will see. It could be related to other factors. The WCS soap seems to take a ton of water and I haven't gotten it to fully cooperate. Felt too wet on pass one, and too dry by third pass. Overall still a good shave, but I need more work to dial it all in.

Ruling please.

I am thinking of jumping in on this. But have 1 question. I just received a Muhle r41 2013 model. I like efficient razors and have read all about these.

I like to tinker and was wondering if adding shims is permitted? If so here is my lineup. I picked my favorite soap, brush and a very familiar blade.
View attachment 1066765

Aside from fiddling with shims, I’m sure that set of gear will serve you very very well.

And having used that blade, a more sharper one might be what you need considering you’re using a very aggressive razor. A Gillette Silver Blue or Personna Blue may be more in order. The Personna Red if you prefer Platinum blades, as I do.

FFFMM Shave #2

Fatip Piccolo Mk2
Personna Med Prep (2)
Omega 49 Pro boar brush, face lathering
Cella red tub
Proraso White balm

Still happy with the setup, though it is really easy to over-shave with the Fatip Piccolo, it is milder than its reputation would suggest. Proraso White balm took care of a spot of neck irritation today. I might try going with a two-pass/three pass alternating daily shave routine.

Top Bottom