What's new

Fermentation

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I received a fermentation kit for my birthday, so, I made up a batch of sauerkraut for starters. Tell us what you like to ferment or pickle etc.
image.jpeg

Definitely want to try making Kraut. The other 'pickle' I want to make is English style picalilly. You actually need to pickle the veg in it before processing.

I hope to make some plain old pickles, not sure I'll get to try it this season, or if it'll wait a bit more. New house and such, still getting way more important things done and settled. Definitely watching this thread for ideas and such though.

I've never had too much success making pickles. They usually have a soft texture among other things. Not too much into pickles so I never tried very hard. I've done Kim Chi as I have had that since my kid days so I love to eat it. Some in my fridge right now in fact. I don't have Sauer Kraut right now but it is real easy. All you need is a crock, salt and a small plate and weight. I have a 1 gallon crock and a 2 gallon crock. I also make pickled onions the same way my dad used to make. He called it Portuguese pickled onions. Super easy. Problem is, you eat too much of it. It is so good. Sigh. No cooking necessary.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm enjoying the kimchi I made. I want to try some carrots as Bob (Moderator Beginish) mentioned that his kids disappear them at a alarming rate. Todd mentioned Picalilli above and I Googled it. Sounds fantastic.

I've had great success with Kim Chi and sauerkraut, not much success with carrots. I've also done Korean style cucumbers, not at all like pickles. I want to expand my fermentation experimentation over the summer.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My next batch of hot sauce will be fermented, no vinegar. I want to use chili tepins and chili pequins from my garden. Problem is though they are small, 'bout the size of peas. Chris @cleanshaved suggested freezing them until enough are accumulated. I need about 2 cups worth. 1/4 cup is in the freezer along with a few Filius blue peppers which taste similar. The key to Fermentation is patients, right?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
image.jpeg
I've had great success with Kim Chi and sauerkraut, not much success with carrots. I've also done Korean style cucumbers, not at all like pickles. I want to expand my fermentation experimentation over the summer.

This helped a lot.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My next batch of hot sauce will be fermented, no vinegar. I want to use chili tepins and chili pequins from my garden. Problem is though they are small, 'bout the size of peas. Chris @cleanshaved suggested freezing them until enough are accumulated. I need about 2 cups worth. 1/4 cup is in the freezer along with a few Filius blue peppers which taste similar. The key to Fermentation is patients, right?
Sriracha is fermented. I made some that was good, but a little too sweet.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

With a bit of luck the plant will increase its yield for you. That or you need o stop grazing off it. :)

I'm still new to sauerkraut but with about ten gallons so far I can say, there is no comparison to what you get in the supermarket and is the only way to go.

My better half made these ceramic weights for my 8-qt bucket.

IMG_2544.JPG

Marianski's book on Sauerkraut is a great resource.

Tom

I do three kinds of fermentation.
1. Cabbage (green and red), carrots, and cucumbers in salt brine. Just a few days at room temp, then into the fridge for use in salads.
2. Kefir. Instead of grains, I just re-culture by saving a cup or so for the next gallon. I like paying the price of milk, since they charge big bucks for a single quart of kefir--more than I pay for a whole gallon.
3. Rye sourdough culture. I have made my own with rye flour and ambient yeasts, but last year I visited the Bread Institute in Moscow and they gave me a supply of dried culture used by the bakeries, so I'm using that now, but I'm not sure I taste much of a difference from my own after a few months of use and feeding.

I got inspired and and made a few things today.
One small batch of sauerkraut.
Carolina style fermented coleslaw.
Two types of brussel sprouts, one with pickling spices, and one with a little red pepper and shallots.
Preserved lemons.

If all goes according to plan, I'll take some of the liquid from the sauerkraut and use it as a little insurance to make sure I get some carrots and green beans fermentation in a few weeks.

proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I got inspired and and made a few things today.
One small batch of sauerkraut.
Carolina style fermented coleslaw.
Two types of brussel sprouts, one with pickling spices, and one with a little red pepper and shallots.
Preserved lemons.

If all goes according to plan, I'll take some of the liquid from the sauerkraut and use it as a little insurance to make sure I get some carrots and green beans fermentation in a few weeks.

proxy.php

Nice. Preserved lemons has my attention. Tell us what you did.

My mini batch of kraut is about 3-4 weeks old now. I gave it a taste today, and it is developing a very nice tang. It's not there yet, though.

Top Bottom