What's new

Fermentation

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like to add a few crushed juniper berries, a touch of carraway seeds, celery seeds and a clove of garlic.

Adding a little bit of dill seed to that one batch I added it to read not a mistake Not something I want in every batch, but something I will do again.

Here are three refrigerated jarred kraut products with zero preservatives, full of probiotics, produced at low enough temperatures so as to not kill the probiotics.

4C238BF8-FE0D-4986-86F6-373AE2C72FDD.jpeg 54610996-043C-4144-B23E-A761B1119CFE.jpeg 85D27522-2D19-42A3-8335-2EDE070A170C.jpeg 150D6941-D465-4C7F-8F49-70612ED5EEFB.jpeg 4FFB0710-E0E4-4093-8DA9-995388609885.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Here are three refrigerated jarred kraut products with zero preservatives, full of probiotics, produced at low enough temperatures so as to not kill the probiotics.

That's good to know. I'm glad to e someone doing that. It's so dadgum easy to make it at home, though, that I doubt I'll buy sauerkraut anytime soon (especially the Bubbies--pricey!)

I enjoy a few red pepper flakes in my homemade kraut.

I'll have to give that a whirl with my next batch!

That's good to know. I'm glad to e someone doing that. It's so dadgum easy to make it at home, though, that I doubt I'll buy sauerkraut anytime soon (especially the Bubbies--pricey!)

I'll have to give that a whirl with my next batch!

...and bubbies is popular here so it is hard to find it in stock pretty often.

I would rather make my own too, but I just haven’t given it a good enough effort. I discovered kale chips, colcannon with kale, and quit trying to grow cabbage. My one try was bug infested but then it was a bad year for the garden altogether that year. The one or two batches I tried had a lot of nasty stuff on top and while I probably could have used what was below, I wanted to wait to try again when we got an air lock, or a better vessel. You’re inspiring me to try again.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The latest batch of sauerkraut, fermented approximately seven weeks. I added that pinch of red pepper, along with a pinch of fennel seed, top the standard caraway.

20190625_082716.jpg

I like it! I might add another pinch of red pepper.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Looks great @TexLaw!

I made my first ever batch as a trial a few weeks ago, just 1 head/1qt. It came out really well and tasted great. I only fermented mine for 2 weeks though. It's already gone, lol, making a another (bigger) batch this week...

On a side note, sauerkraut in the store is $4-$6 for 24oz. A head of cabbage is about 79 cents right now. Save a bunch of money and tastes better to boot, win-win.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
On a side note, sauerkraut in the store is $4-$6 for 24oz. A head of cabbage is about 79 cents right now. Save a bunch of money and tastes better to boot, win-win.

That's very true. You can find cheaper, even much cheaper, but it does not compare in any manner but volume. Comparing apples to apples, I roughly figure that I save about $5 every time I start into a quart jar from a batch.

I spent some decent money on a proper crock, shredder, and pounder (none of which are required, but all of which make life a lot easier), and I've more than made my money back.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
That's very true. You can find cheaper, even much cheaper, but it does not compare in any manner but volume. Comparing apples to apples, I roughly figure that I save about $5 every time I start into a quart jar from a batch.

I spent some decent money on a proper crock, shredder, and pounder (none of which are required, but all of which make life a lot easier), and I've more than made my money back.

Yep, I spent about $30 on my fermentation kit (pounder, silicone air lids, weights) I figure I'll have that money back after my next batch.

I can't believe it took me this long to mention the fermented item we eat more of than any other in our house.
That's natto, the Japanese soybean product.
It can be made at home, but we have never done so.
(I do cringe when I see the amount of packaging that the store-bought stuff uses.)

I got inspired and and made a few things today.
One small batch of sauerkraut.
Carolina style fermented coleslaw.
Two types of brussel sprouts, one with pickling spices, and one with a little red pepper and shallots.
Preserved lemons.

If all goes according to plan, I'll take some of the liquid from the sauerkraut and use it as a little insurance to make sure I get some carrots and green beans fermentation in a few weeks.

proxy.php
Do preserved lemons ferment or just cure in salt brine. I have had preserved lemons in Morocco and would like try making my own.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Saw this in the market this morning...

$8 for 25oz!
IMG_2116 copy.jpg

So there must be some expensive ingredients, surely. Let's take a look...
IMG_2117 copy.jpg

Cabbage, water, salt. Sounds familiar...

IMG_2120 copy.jpg

^This batch is still "cooking", total cost to me? About $1.70 for roughly 76oz (or $0.56 for 25oz)

Top Bottom