What's new

Fermarud musica information.

Greetings all,
This is my first post here, also coincidentally first post on a forum, so please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place. ( Or if it has already been discussed elsewhere). I looked around before posting and couldn't find anything. A few months ago my Grandmother passed away, and while helping sort through her items, I found this razor that belonged to my grandfather. It has Fermarud Musica on the scales, and the blade. I have attempted to find any information online about Fermarud in general, but was unable to find anything besides eBay listings for $30-$60. I have been unable to find even less about the Musica part. I am wanting to send it off to get cleaned and reinvigorated, but would like to know some more about it first. Thank you kindly for any help and information.

Attachments

• 20220714_114346.jpg
    20220714_114346.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220714_114203.jpg
    20220714_114203.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220714_114301.jpg
    20220714_114301.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220714_114309.jpg
    20220714_114309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220714_114332.jpg
    20220714_114332.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Hello and welcome aboard! Let me be the first to greet you.

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandmother. I hope she is resting peacefully. As for your razor - that looks rather fancy. I think the etching is very nice and that mild oxidation should clean up very easily. I'd guess that metal polish would be the best thing for it - unless someone else here has a better idea?

We have another forum here dedicated to restoring straight razors, so be sure to go and check it out.

Reactions: Asa
Welcome to the forum. Monetary valuation of items on the forums is something that is not done here however, your razor would be considered an heirloom and therefore in my opinion "priceless".

It might help to know where you are located so that someone in your part of the world could recommend a good restoration source.

Welcome!

Hello 👋. Can't help you with the razor sorry, there are so many different razor manufacturers that sometimes you get no information about them. But if anyone would know you came to that place, hope someone gets some info for you

Reactions: Asa

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The stamping on the shank would indicate that the razor was made by Gebrüder (brothers) Lang, Solingen who were in business from the late 1800s to the early/mid 1920, although some claim that they were still making SRs up to about 1950.

Legion

Staff member
It’s not a common brand. From the style and stamping, German from the 30’s, early 40’s

During the depression, German razor factories would make the same blade stamped with several different names, and they would be scaled and sold by the company that commissioned it.

It could be the same blade as a well known, expensive brand. I’ve bought several bargain razors like that.

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your Grandmother. I hope she is resting peacefully. As for your razor - that looks rather fancy. I think the etching is very nice and that mild oxidation should clean up very easily. I'd guess that metal polish would be the best thing for it - unless someone else here has a better idea?

We have another forum here dedicated to restoring straight razors, so be sure to go and check it out

We have another forum here dedicated to restoring straight razors, so be sure to go and check it out.
Thank you for your reply and your condolences. I thought the etching and blade was very nice too. I'm thinking about sending it off to have a professional clean it up. I'd hate myself if I messed it up.

Welcome to the forum. Monetary valuation of items on the forums is something that is not done here however, your razor would be considered an heirloom and therefore in my opinion "priceless".

It might help to know where you are located so that someone in your part of the world could recommend a good restoration source.

Welcome!
Thank you for your reply. I guess I'm more interested in the history of it. I have no plans on selling it. I live in Northern KY. I found a place online that will refurbish and clean straight razors for $75. Thought about doing that.

It’s not a common brand. From the style and stamping, German from the 30’s, early 40’s

During the depression, German razor factories would make the same blade stamped with several different names, and they would be scaled and sold by the company that commissioned it.

It could be the same blade as a well known, expensive brand. I’ve bought several bargain razors like that.
That's such cool information! Thanks a heap for that. So it's likely to be around the 30s or 40s for the decade. I had never heard of Fermarud before, and I couldn't find anything with that brand AND the Musica on it.

The stamping on the shank would indicate that the razor was made by Gebrüder (brothers) Lang, Solingen who were in business from the late 1800s to the early/mid 1920, although some claim that they were still making SRs up to about 1950.
That's awesome! That's the type of information I was hoping to get. Can't find hardly anything online with that Fermarud brand AND the Musica stamp.

Hello 👋. Can't help you with the razor sorry, there are so many different razor manufacturers that sometimes you get no information about them. But if anyone would know you came to that place, hope someone gets some info for you
Thanks a heap for the encouragement!

Can't find hardly anything online with that Fermarud brand

I can contribute with some details.

The company "Gebr. Lang, Solingen" was founded on January 1st, 1909 by the three brothers Ferdinand Lang, Max Lang and Rudolf Lang. If you take the first letters of their names and combine them, the name Fermarud is formed.
Here are some of their trademarks:

Gebr Lang Trademarks.jpg

I saw a catalogue in the internet, in which Gebr. Lang advertised under their name straight razors of several brand names, which are attributed to Voos & Essers KG (Bengal, Huveso, Nip-Nip). These razors from Gebr. Lang can be identified by a triangle symbol. As an example: Here is my 3/8" Huveso razor, which I assume came from Gebr. Lang:
Gebr Lang - Huveso.jpg

I have not yet found out the relationsship between Gebr. Lang and Voos & Essers, but there was likely a connection as I found an information that Rudolf Lang had a cooperation with someone named Paul Voos. They started in Solingen under "Paul Voos & Co." in November 1933, but already in May 1934 Rudolf Voos became the sole owner of "Paul Voos & Co." In the Solingen directory of 1938 both companies, "Gebr. Lang" and "Paul Voos & Co." belonged to Rudolf Lang and the address was Augustastr. 37.
The last official information I could find in terms of Gebr. Lang dates back to 1940, but I could not find out, how long both companies, Gebr. Lang and Paul Voos & Co. existed. Maybe some day I will go the Archive of the City of Solingen and will look for it.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'm more interested in the history of it. I have no plans on selling it. I live in Northern KY. I found a place online that will refurbish and clean straight razors for $75. Thought about doing that.
Just make sure this is restorer with some good feedback on the forums. Plenty of people out there who don't know what they are doing, we all see the posts after the fact when razors have been butchered.

Fermarud.jpg

Fermarud Musica was one of my first razors. I have also seen Gebr. Lang use the triangle symbol on razors labelled "triangle razor" The triangle is frequently labelled on the scales and, although I've seen the scales re-used on other blades, I don't know if "Fermarud" or "Triangle" was used by any other cutler.

On Razor makers - https://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers&toolmakers/razormakers.htm I found the following "Gebrüder Lang, Femarud-Stahlwarenfabrik. Solingen: Eintrachtstrasse 14 in 1922. Brand name: 'Fermarud' (1912)". That site usually lists all of the model names used by a cutler.

Overall, I have seen Fermarud razors of a lot of different styles. One I missed out on bidding had a hammered texture. Of these two that I have, they are both excellent razors.

Top Bottom