What's new

Fen's shaving journal

Experiment: Store bought extra virgin olive oil as a pre-shave

Started shaving earlier this year, and through my journey I have tried different pre-shave routines. First with some proraso pre-shave cream, then on to kyle's prep. Before I settled on just scrubbing warm water on my face. Often after I took a hot shower. Which seemed to work just fine.

However what I have noticed is that my chin is a trouble spot that doesnt seem to respond well to just water. It pulls even when I buff and it has become an annoyance. After moving back to using some more of my proraso pre-shave cream sample I found it to often be effective with enough cream. But the downside is that I cant just walk into my local store and buy it.

Recently I've gotten interested in trying pre-shave oils, but I figured I'd go for a cheap alternative that some people swear by. So I decided to buy some extra virgin olive oil from the store. I settled for an ecological kind in a green bottle (frequently used in food and not for frying, according to the info I have read)

The shave:

I decided originally to go bold and just use the oil for shaving without soap, since I saw a video from another Norwegian shaver about the subject, and it seemed to go well for him. After applying a few drops I got concerned that my current growth absorbed it too much, so I settled to use a little more. Lucky for me, the oil doesn't seem to have any strong scent.

The cheeks was smooth sailing, but from my experience the growth there has always been softer. I noticed with my Merkur Progress that I could take multiple passes with no irritation. When I moved on to my neck I faced some resistance so I settled to go for reduction here.

Once I got to my trouble area, my chin, things started to get bothersome. The growth was as resistant as ever. It pulled and I got some red spots on one side of my chin.

Overall I'd say so far that my neck felt a tiny bit sore, but not in a huge amount that seemed to last. While my chin was much more noticable. I attribute this mainly right now to a rougher shave I had on thursday. So I will overlook any soreness and overall burns. As I do not feel that it is fair for this particular test at the moment.

After taking out my proraso white soap in a tub, I lathered up my chin and upperlip. Almost instantly any resistance that seemed to have been there was gone as I shaved with the soap. I am willing to admitt that I suspect part of this was because I had done a reducation pass without any soap. But I feel it is about a 50/50 thing.

Moving on I did the same to my neck and lathered it up. A tiny cut appeared on my upper neck. But another factor to the current equation is that I'm still learning all the angles with my Progress.

After taking a second round on my face and some touch up the result I was left with was what I usually have. Some areas are nice and close, while others are more noticable, but social acceptable.

The result:

My skin felt very soft and slick, similar to how it would feel after using some aftershave balm. After washing my face with both warm and cold water and applying alum I felt a slight burn around my chin. However my upper lip that also frequently is a trouble area that cant handle too many passes didn't have any burn feeling to it. A spot on my neck also had a slight burn, but this was the particular spot where I had a rough shave earlier.

The shave ended with an application of some aftershave balm.

Thoughts:

I feel that I need to try this after my neck has healed up propperly from its ordeal several days ago. And I should consider going back to my R89 which I am most used to. To give the oil better odds.

My main worry was that the oil would be too thick and that I'd feel all oily on my face after. But that is not the case. There is hardly any smell at all either, which I am very happy about.

I'm also curious about how the combination of the oil + soap would function on my first pass on my chin. So this needs to be explored during my next shave.

Overall, as things stand, I'd say that the oil brings something that I noticed with the proraso pre-shave. On the other hand just using oil and shaving is not something I want to repeat anytime soon. Due to the bigger amount I felt that I had to use, pluss the case with my chin. Next time I'll settle for it as a pre-shave and just use 4-5 drops of it.

My other concern as a long term result is how my face will react to the oil. Will I risk getting outbreaks on my face or will my face for example feel itchy after using it? If it ends up feeling itchy I believe a wash with some soap is required after the shave is over. And not just a combo of warm and cold water.

Olive oil.jpg

Just scribbling down some thoughts to keep tabs regarding some DE blade trials. Some are by memory, so not everything will have the same amount of details.

Razor: Merkur Progress

Gillette Silver Blue:

Was efficient but had a slight "roughness/bite" to it, which I'm not used to. Considering that my Merkur 89R worked very well with it when I last tried those blades.

Gillette 7'o clock SharpEdge:
A very good mix of being efficient and smooth. Most of the time I couldn't feel the blade on my face on the first shave. So far its scoring very high, based on a first round shave basis.

Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India):
Removed the hair very well, but it had a roughness to it that I didn't care for.

Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China):
About the same efficiency as it's Indian brother, but it had better smoothness.

Wilkinson Sword (Germany):
Was a rather odd shave. It wasn't rough, but smooth. And it was very efficient around my upper lip, which is usually one of my challenge areas. Oddly enough on the cheek it left a lot right next to my ear. Which usually gets very close during the first pass.

On the lower part of my throat the blade was a let down. Leaving me with cuts. But I blame myself partly, since I did a fast shave here.

All in all I'm rather confused. It felt like shaving with a complete opposite blade than I'm used to. Where I usually struggle it seemed to work fine. While at other places where its very easy, or only slightly difficult it didn't impress me that much.

A part of me wants to test it more to see if this is really is the case. Or perhaps my angle was a bit off today.

Final notes:
All in all it seems like the Russian gillette blades provides some of the best results. So I'm curious to see how my Gillette Platinum (dark blue and light blue) will hold up against the others I've tried already.

And I wonder if the gillette 7 o'clock permasharp stainless from India will hold its own. Considering that I really enjoy the black ones. Not to forget that I should consider throwing in the 7 o'clock Super Stainless from Russia as well.

Gillette – Platinum New:
An interesting blade. On my throat and upper lip it got very close on the first pass, while I had to do a few repeat passes on other spots of my face. I can't quiet put my finger on where I should put it in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

A part of me thinks that perhaps using a higher setting on my Merkur Progress might have given it more of an edge on the spots where I had to do repeat passes.

Another odd thing however is that it easily gave me some nicks as well. And it felt more "riggid" than other DE blades I have tried before. For some reason.

I think I'd place it in sort of the middle currently, and I think it would be a great candidate if I'd need a "kinder" blade after a bad shave. Though I still noticed some slight soreness on my throat from my previous shave while using it.

Wonder how the dark blue/old platinum will be in comparison.

Gillette – Platinum:
The shave with this blade went a bit better than the previous one, which I suspect is mostly due to the fact that I decided to turn the setting up a notch. This caused the blade to perform the same as other blades when it comes to the areas around my face. Except the upper lip and throat where I felt that perhaps it was a bit more efficient due to the setting.

That being said, I can't really tell that much of a difference between the platinum new and the platinum. They felt the same in terms of being riggid and smooth over the face. So I'm starting to question if there really is any difference between them, to be honest. Unless of course that perhaps one lasts longer than the other. Which some people report regarding the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades made in India and China.

Rapira - Platinum Lux
Another rather odd shave of sorts. The blade felt a bit more efficent than the platinum new on my cheeks. At the right angles it felt very smooth, at the wrong angles it felt a tiny bit rough, but not a deal breaker.

Dialing my progress up to 3 made the blade more efficent on my chin. So I suspect that it might be the best starter setting for the blade itself.

Didn't do all my passes since I had to be quick today, but on my upper face it gave a good result. On my throat it would have needed another pass or two. But I picked up a single edge razor just to do it fast. If I hadn't then I'm confident I would have gotten a similar result on my throat

In general it looks like I get very much along with Russian made blades. That being said the personna red is a favorite of mine, which ain't made in Russia.

Top Bottom