What's new

Fendrihan Bay, anyone tried one?

I am considering a Fendrihan Bay. Their site says they are all brass. The head looks like a 23c or 89 clone but in solid brass. Any one tried one? If so, what did you think about build quality and the shave?

Never tried the Bay but love the Mark II. Bought some more for my boys for when they start shaving and another for my father in-law.

Only a select few of my razors will give me true BBS in 2 passes without cleanup and this is one of them. Not overly aggressive in any way, gives the allusion of being mild but a lot of blade feel. A real diamond in the rough that is often overlooked. Also blade easy in that anything I throw in will give a smooth shave.

I haven't tried the Bay, but I'm also curious. Fendrihan offers several razors that are billed as solid brass, but I have to wonder. One head looks very much like the Maggard V3A/Razorock Mentor (Bloor; Dundas), while the other is the ubiquitous DE89 clone (Bay, Dixon, Steeles, etc.) seen on many razors. According to the Q/A on the site, they are made in China. This all seems to point to the likelihood of a zamac head with a brass handle, but I'd like to be wrong about that. If they are indeed all (including the head) plated brass, they are coming in at a great price. Curiously, there seems to be very little feedback out there on these razors. Perhaps some of our members can provide some.

I haven't tried the Bay, but I'm also curious. Fendrihan offers several razors that are billed as solid brass, but I have to wonder. One head looks very much like the Maggard V3A/Razorock Mentor (Bloor; Dundas), while the other is the ubiquitous DE89 clone (Bay, Dixon, Steeles, etc.) seen on many razors. According to the Q/A on the site, they are made in China. This all seems to point to the likelihood of a zamac head with a brass handle, but I'd like to be wrong about that. If they are indeed all (including the head) plated brass, they are coming in at a great price. Curiously, there seems to be very little feedback out there on these razors. Perhaps some of our members can provide some.

That was my question as well. They say brass head but they look like so many other clones. If I was not so cheap I would buy one just to cut it in half and see for myself.

Never tried the Bay but love the Mark II. Bought some more for my boys for when they start shaving and another for my father in-law.

Only a select few of my razors will give me true BBS in 2 passes without cleanup and this is one of them. Not overly aggressive in any way, gives the allusion of being mild but a lot of blade feel. A real diamond in the rough that is often overlooked. Also blade easy in that anything I throw in will give a smooth shave.

Thanks for the input. The Mark II is stainless steel correct?

With the lack of responses I guess we will have to buy and try ourselves. They are cheap so that makes it easier.

Thanks for the input. The Mark II is stainless steel correct?

Yes, injected molded stainless. They polish the top cap, the baseplate has a pebbled appearance. I like the look, others don’t. Personal taste kind of thing.

With the lack of responses I guess we will have to buy and try ourselves. They are cheap so that makes it easier.
That seems like the case. The good news is that even if the head turns out to be a dog, you still come out of it with a nice looking handle. Let us know if you take the plunge.

That seems like the case. The good news is that even if the head turns out to be a dog, you still come out of it with a nice looking handle. Let us know if you take the plunge.

Thanks! You have helped me out. It comes with a long handle. I prefer 3 to 3.25 inch handles. So if I don't like the head, its a loss for me. I will probably pass unless I read some good reviews. I really don't need another razor I just liked the thought of a brass 89 clone.

Fendrihan’s description of its Bay razor says it has a chrome plated brass head and brass handle. They also have an all brass black anodized razor that is billed as all brass and costs $5 US more. I have been curious about it, but had not found the Bay. One B & B member said he had tried the black anodized model and personally thought it too heavy for his tastes.

I don't have the Bay, but I have the stainless Mk. I & Mk. II, ant the Weston rose gold head, which appears to be the same shape as the V3A and IB Mentor, so a bit more aggressive.

I'm not about to cut miine in half to see firsthand what metal is under the plating, but I've good enough luck with Fendrihan to trust their word on this.

Fendrihan’s description of its Bay razor says it has a chrome plated brass head and brass handle. They also have an all brass black anodized razor that is billed as all brass and costs $5 US more. I have been curious about it, but had not found the Bay. One B & B member said he had tried the black anodized model and personally thought it too heavy for his tastes.

Yes I have noticed the weight in the descriptions. The Bay is 113g. That is more than my SS Game Changer Jaws with the SS UFO handle. The anodized one is even heavier.

The Fendrihan site claims they are made in Taiwan.
I believe the Bay that the OP asked about is made in China. The Fendrihan stainless MKI and MKII are made in Taiwan. From the Fendrihan site:

Our Fendrihan Stainless Steel MKI and MKII safety razors are made in Taiwan. Most of our other Fendrihan branded safety razors are made in China. If you have a question about a specific razor, please don't hesitate to ask.

There are several posted question on the Fendrihan site asking specifically about the material used for the Weston and York heads (which are on the razors billed as all brass), and Fendrihan has been consistent in insisting that they are indeed plated brass.

OK guys, I have decided to take one for the team. The "Bloor" version of Fendrihan's allegedly all-brass razor is on sale for $16 bucks so, what the hay, I've got one on the way. It has the Weston, aka V3A/Mentor style head. I'm no expert in metallurgy, but there may be some telltale signs, including weight, that will provide some clues. If anyone has some sugestions on what to look for, short of cutting the thing in half, let me know. I'll keep you posted.

OK guys, I have decided to take one for the team. The "Bloor" version of Fendrihan's allegedly all-brass razor is on sale for $16 bucks so, what the hay, I've got one on the way. It has the Weston, aka V3A/Mentor style head. I'm no expert in metallurgy, but there may be some telltale signs, including weight, that will provide some clues. If anyone has some sugestions on what to look for, short of cutting the thing in half, let me know. I'll keep you posted.

I am looking forward to your review.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Looking forward to your observations.

If a brass head seems a bit heavy for some, the Standard Razors aluminum razor is very light and is very close but a more aggressive version of the R89/DE89/Heritage.

Comes in both black and raw.

I decided to take the plunge with you and ordered the Bay. Between the 2 of us we should be able to make some useful evaluations.

Top Bottom