What's new

Female Newbie Needs Advice on Safety Razors!

Hi from a fellow female wet shaver! *waves* I just started a while back and I only use vintage razors, so I can't really speak for the ones currently being manufactured - but I have faith that the men here will be able to direct you to the new ones. The Parker 29L looks almost exactly like a Lady Gillette, but I've never actually held one in my hands so I can't make a fair comparison.

Welcome aboard!

I imagine The ball end tech might work well for a vintage razor. Not sure about new razors.

Welcome to B&B!

Most anything on the new or used market with a long handle should work, all depending on how much you care to spend to get started and how good you need it to look.

I started with a Lord L6 and can confirm that they are decent enough razors for the money, but not the centerpiece of an ostentatious shaving display on the bathroom counter.

Lady Gillette and other long handled vintage Gillette razors can be found on eBay. Condition may vary on these, so you can find anything from a cheap but serviceable junker to a bright shiny display piece. Last year I picked up a long handled European Gillette that I just gave to my sister. It was NOS in the blister pack for $10 plus shipping.

Somewhere around here I believe there is a leg shaving thread for the ladies. I haven't been there, but seem to recall that it has access limitations. I don't qualify.

You could also go with an injector model with a long handle like the Schick Golden 500. They come up on ebay often for reasonable money. Injector blades are available.

My gf uses my Gilette Slim, very mild razor which can be not-mild as well. She still uses canned goo for cream tough... Eventually she'll get to try a lady gillette as I know where one is sitting unused in a box.

Also, I think my merkur 33C would make a great leg shaver as it's very mild if used correctly, they make one with a long handle

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The Lady Gillette will definitely satisfy you. But another good one would be a Super Adjustable Long Handle. You can set it as mild or as aggressive as you like. Customize it for your skin, blade, and preference. A Slim would be okay. The humble Tech is pretty mild but doesn't have a long handle and isn't TTO. It is really cheap though. I have seen many go for $5 or even less. Often these are to be found in lots of several razors.

Thanks, everyone!

I got my wife a Feather popular, and she likes it. It has a long handle, with knurling for good grip when hands are soapy. It's twist-to-open, which she likes, and it's a gentle razor. Also, available under $20.
Twist-to-open? I think we have a winner. :)

I had to switch out too many razor blades in utility knives at 3 am when I was an art student, grumpy and exhausted because a professor decided he wanted changes the day before a project was due. How I hated fumbling with unscrewing and screwing things. Considering that I'm not much of a morning person, twist to open sounds wonderful! :biggrin1:

I highly recommend the merkur 23c that was my first DE and I eventually gave it to my GF and she has been using it ever since. As far as blades I would start with Derby and then work up to something a little sharper. The knurling on the 23c will work best in the shower. The edwin Jaeger although a great razor might become slippery in the shower.

Thanks,
Jason

Top Bottom