What's new

Female newbie looking for first DE razor

I debated a variety of razors as my daughter is almost old enough to start shaving herself.

I went with a Baili BD178 - it's mild, efficient, has covered blade tabs on the ends for no accidental nicking, and is cheap enough that if she doesn't like it then it isn't a big deal. I did spend $10ish to get her a Maggard's handle that is longer/heavier/grippier.

Other options: Gillette Techs are mild and effective (always a favorite) with the post-war being a touch milder/friendlier but they are all excellent; the Razorock Mamba 70 would be a very mild option that feels really smooth, and a Lady Gillette (or Parker equivalent) would be more classic as an option. Lastly, Gillette's vintage Black Beauty long handle is a long handled adjustable that would also work very well.

Welcome!

Pink Edwin Jagger?

proxy.php

Rockwell 6c or 6s.. Fool proof. I recommended this razor already successful to women.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

+1! If you want something ‘new.’ But, my first thought was a Lady Gillette!

So many great options!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I debated a variety of razors as my daughter is almost old enough to start shaving herself.

I went with a Baili BD178 - it's mild, efficient, has covered blade tabs on the ends for no accidental nicking, and is cheap enough that if she doesn't like it then it isn't a big deal. I did spend $10ish to get her a Maggard's handle that is longer/heavier/grippier.

Other options: Gillette Techs are mild and effective (always a favorite) with the post-war being a touch milder/friendlier but they are all excellent; the Razorock Mamba 70 would be a very mild option that feels really smooth, and a Lady Gillette (or Parker equivalent) would be more classic as an option. Lastly, Gillette's vintage Black Beauty long handle is a long handled adjustable that would also work very well.

Welcome!
This is an important consideration. Go spend big later, once you've decided you like wet shaving.

Welcome to the club 😊
I bought a Pink Parker 29L for my wife and a Lavender Parker 29L for my daughter.
Very mild yet effective according to both the wife and daughter.
And it's a very well made copy of the classic Lady Gillete 👍

Rockwell 6C over the 2C, if you get down to choosing between those two. I shave my face, not legs, but the plate included with the 2C would be useless for me, rendering the entire purchase a big waste. The 6C is idiot proof and a great beginner’s razor. Your technique could be crap, which mine probably is, but the range of plates will ensure one matches your technique perfectly.

A lot of male razors are designed to shave stubble. For body shaving, I think an open comb is by far the better choice because they don't clog up on long hair like a safety bar design, or at least not nearly as much.

The Muhle open comb is very mild, eg the 15C. There are a few different models all with the same head and a different handle.

I've got the 985C travel version with short, 63mm handle. Personally I think a short handle is more nimble but YMMV. I use mine for face, head and body shaving. When I first bought it I did nick myself from time to time but it is a very mild razor. One of the mildest you can buy despite the open comb. Now that I've got used to it, I couldn't cut myself if I tried.

Blades can make a difference to the shave experience. I'd suggest starting with some Derby Extra (mild), Astra SP (sort of medium) and Nacet (sharp). As a rule, use the mildest blade which you can get away with. Milder blades can struggle with thick hair and can sometimes irritate the skin more because you end up pressing too hard or making multiple passes.

Another vote for the Rockwell 6C or 6S. Both are well made with the ability to select the aggressiveness by swapping plates. I have the 6S which is Stainless Steel. It is a good heavy razor and holds the blade tight. No vibration from the blades on my razor. After using it fir 6 months, I’m getting awesome results with Feather blades.

Top Bottom