What's new

Female centric films

"9 to 5" - nobody's mentioned that one. It was great.
"A League of Their Own"
"Fried Green Tomatoes"

also ran: "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death", "Invasion of the Bee Girls".

A Winter Tan
Winter Bones
Jackie Brown
Camille Claudel
Three Colours Trilogy;
- Three Colours : Blue
- Three Colours : White
- Three Colours : Red

Have only watched two non-documentary movies since 2011 so haven't seen any of and these are off the top of my head;

The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series in either language
Hunger Games series
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Hidden Figures

Have to be others, nobody?
dave

I wouldn't call these movies woman-centric like they were made for women and they aren't necessarily "buddy films" but they feature strong women/girls as the central characters that carry the story. I really enjoyed and recommend them all.

Hayao Miyazaki's animated films came to mind immediately. Some of my favorites:
- Spirited Away
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Howl's Moving Castle
- Princess Mononoke
- My Neighbor Totoro

Others:
- Bridesmaids
- The Heat (McCarthy/Bullock)
- Spy (McCarthy)
- The Turning Point (MacLaine/Bancroft)

Daughter turned me onto Miyazaki . . . love EVERYTHING he ever produced.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The Charlies Angels movies
Mean Girls
Heathers
Girl Interrupted
Oceans Eight
Bandidas
Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
With all the favorite movie lists being discussed here, thought I would turn this on its head and see if there are any gal pal films you made it through.

A League of Their Own
Thelma & Louise
Steel Magnolias
just to clarify, when you say "made it through" i assume you mean deep rem sleep start to credits?
;)

I went with the female centric basis of the thread title.

Gal pal movie such as originally mentioned, Thelma & Louise, A League of Our Own, i'd probably choose over most male bonding, buddy, bro, 'male' centric, testosterone driven movies.
dave

Amelie is a very charming movie and I really like its quirky style. I think the TV series "Pushing Daisies" style was heavily influenced by Amelie.

Yes, I would also call Amelie charming and quirky, and I think that is a commendable description. Refreshing and original too. I am not familiar with "Pushing Daisies", but I will keep your comment in mind if I run across it.

Yes, I would also call Amelie charming and quirky, and I think that is a commendable description. Refreshing and original too. I am not familiar with "Pushing Daisies", but I will keep your comment in mind if I run across it.

Re: Pushing Daisies, you'd probably have to intentionally look for that show, I doubt you'd run across it by chance. It lasted for only 2 seasons from 2007-2009 and is described as a fantasy, mystery, comedy, drama. It won several Emmys during its short run and like Amelie was quirky, charming, refreshing and original.

Top Bottom