What's new

Felt hat restoration

Hey fellas,

I have a Stetson whose brim is a mess and which should probably be resized (it never fit quite right but the last time I had it on, it barely fit at all). Have you had hats restored? Was it worth it? Could you recommend a place? I have done some looking online and it seems quite expensive. This was not a top of the line hat and I'm hesitant to spend a lot when it wasn't an expensive hat in the first place. Thoughts?

I have a top quality wide brim from Colorado Mountain Hat Company - I think they do restorations, but I don't know the cost. You might try giving them a call.

Delicate question...but any hat deserves a 2nd life!! Stetson are nice hats, but depending on felts, a beaver one i will recommend it...a rabbit one, depending on the personal importance to you and general condition (need to be papersanded because of permanent stains on it? A hole on crown?) so much things to be considered...Optimo Hats at Chicago for restoration, you can't go wrong with them.

But if the prices are high try to buy a new one.Here in Europe, restoration prices are nice but costs freights...

You can go up about half a size or so with a simple hat stretcher.

If the hat is just dirty, it can be cleaned. You can do it yourself with a white gas soak, but that stuff has to be treated with care.

If it has little holes in it (moth nibbles and bites) then there isn't much to be done about those.

If it just needs to be sized like stated earlier you can go about a half size with a stretcher. If your hat is mildly bent you can spritz it with water and gently shape it back into place. This takes lots of time and patience as you have to go very, very slow. I've restored my own hat before and it was worth it. Depends on how messed up it is reallly though.

Top Bottom