What's new

Feeling less motivated?!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I live on one side of a rather small valley. The way the surrounding ranges are, this time of year the sun comes "up" at 9:00 a.m. or later, and goes "down" at 2:30 p.m or earlier. On December 21, if it's clear, we'll have direct sunlight for four hours between 10:00 and 2:00. We have really long dawns and twilights because of that -- in summer the dawn arrives about 3:30 a.m. and twilight ends about 10:00 p.m.

Coupled with all the frustrations and anxieties of the moment, it can feel like the darkening days are a black steel fist slowly crushing the soul. I've said that there have been some days when I just didn't feel steady enough to shave. When that happens I usually get a shave the next day and things are back to "normal." I have razors that would shave me easily even if I were having struggles, but my choice has been to give it a day and return to it later. It's not one of the parts of my life where I just have to put my head down and power through it regardless.

Partially that's because the process and art of shaving is one of my main supports. It's an act of agency -- exercising one's skills and abilities to affect a situation. My time in the Shave Cave is mine and aside from all the infrastructure needed to actually get all the hardware and software into my hands the outcome of the experience depends completely on the choices I make and on my ability to raise up my skills and be present for the event.

Along with other cultural observances, I also make formal note of four days each year: Winter Solstice, Vernal Equinox, Summer Solstice and Autumnal Equinox -- even though where we live "equinox" isn't the same day as the accepted calendar day. We "put the big pot in the little one" as my father used to say, and prepare a celebratory meal with a seasonal vibe. We tip a couple jars, have some good food, reflect on the last three months and on the next three. It seems to help.

O.H.

thanks for the feedback; i'll have to try some the suggestions. in addition maybe i need to read up on the straight razor posts now too...give me something new to try.

I find as the day's get shorter it always negatively affects my mood to an extent; but this years seems worse when adding the Covid nonsense and having to work from home for the last 8 months to the mix. I've made myself shave and get dressed for work each day as if I was going to the office but I do feel less motivated.

Earlier I suspected a migraine was coming on and I was not wrong. My migraines are complex migraines that result in dizziness, disorientation and sometimes headache pain, but not always. Many times they are painless. Right now I have a headache, dizziness and a real don’t care attitude. I don’t feel disorientated unless I get up and walk around. This is the third one in the last seven days. I totally believe the weather and less daylight are a factor. Today was a cool dreary day, limiting the daylight even more.

Many people are negatively affected by the loss of light associated with the changing of the seasons. It often leads to a loss of motivation and moodiness. I have several relatives that suffer from a form of this known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD) that they treat with light therapy.
I grew up in the American Southwest. I'm not only used to bright sunny days and sunshine but I love it (even if I tend to avoid tanning as an adult due to my fair skin burning easily). My sister used to joke that we're solar powered.

When I lived in Chicago fir three years, the city depressed me. Not only was it only sunny during summer, but the city was covered in drab grey stone. There was barely any color or brightness in the city. I loathed it. I moved back to the Southwest as soon as I could after that.

Many people are negatively affected by the loss of light associated with the changing of the seasons. It often leads to a loss of motivation and moodiness. I have several relatives that suffer from a form of this known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD) that they treat with light therapy.
I have that in reverse. The shorter days and early winter darkness encourage me. When you live in a place where 8-9 months of the year are hot with sticky yellow sunlight, any change is welcome. (Well, aside from floods and hurricanes.)

I find myself feeling less motivated to shave as the colder weather approaches in addition to taking more Working From Home (WFH) days. I go outside with the family and wind kicks in and I am wondering, why did I shave today (ha ha). Or maybe its just me getting more lazier because there is barely any sunlight out during the upcoming winter days.

Anyone else finding themselves in this situation?
I keep one of my old electric razors around for days like that! I can clean up a bit without going through the whole routine. Usually, it cheers me up even if the results are not as good.
:laugh:

Reactions: tcl
I'm quite the opposite. I like shaving when it's colder because my face has a tendency to go oily. So when it's warm and humid out, it just makes things worse. The cool dry air keeps my face just right. :D

I'm definitely feeling the lack of motivation.

Getting off work and it being dark already just plain sucks. We need to abolish this setting clocks forward, setting clocks back nonsense.

It does NOT save energy. It means we all turn on our lights and big screen tv sets sooner. And what good does it do me to have it broad daylight at 7 AM? What am I going to do at 7 AM? Play 9 holes of golf? Let it be freakin' DARK at 7 AM.

And what good does it do me to have it broad daylight at 7 AM? What am I going to do at 7 AM? Play 9 holes of golf? Let it be freakin' DARK at 7 AM.
This is exactly what we need. If you ran for public office I would vote for you.🤪

Since I am working from home due to COVID, I tend to sleep until about 8:00am. I wanna trade that hour of light when I am asleep for an hour of light when I am awake. Walking the dog at 5:30pm in the dark is unnatural!

I'm definitely feeling the lack of motivation.

Getting off work and it being dark already just plain sucks. We need to abolish this setting clocks forward, setting clocks back nonsense.

It does NOT save energy. It means we all turn on our lights and big screen tv sets sooner. And what good does it do me to have it broad daylight at 7 AM? What am I going to do at 7 AM? Play 9 holes of golf? Let it be freakin' DARK at 7 AM.
The pro standard time people come up with new excuses all the time. I remember when they said it was so the kids didn’t have to walk to school in the dark. School starts at 8:30 here, well after mommy and daddy have to be at work. Why not just start school at 9:00 a then we could leave the clocks on Daylight Savings all year?

@Atlantic59 ha ha. I might have to pull the old electric razor out to. might be fun to fix it up after so many years of neglect. i like that suggestion.

The Pacific Northwest would be too cloudy, and it would bring my mood way down, but... the clouds bring the rain and snow that have enabled me to pursue two of my great joys in life, kayaking and skiing.

Even dispersed and muted sunlight is a powerful tonic for me. I don't have @EclipseRedRing 's daily discipline, but I am adding in more walking and outdoor work in these times of isolation. (Ahhh... not much isolation lately. Lots of face-to-face elder care.)

SAD is very real. Light therapy helps, and even hidden behind clouds and terrain, the sun is our best light source. Get outside if you can.

As for motivation to shave, I just missed my first shave since late July. The B&B community helps, the elimination of some morning time pressures has helped, and the need for some demanding moments of focus and attention is imperative!

I am really looking forward to getting back to regular straight shaving when I'm allowed to be home more.

And @TexOkie Shaver , your health related posts have helped me focus on some things that I should not ignore. Thank you for that!

I find it very helpful to start the day off right with a shower and a shave. Coming from someone who has worked out of their home office for 10+ years. I just feel like it is a good transition to start the day, keep a routine, and stay motivated. I always get dressed (no PJ‘s) Home with the wife everyday is great.
It’s good to have a pattern to your day.

I still shave every day because that's what I need to do (along with a shower) to feel human. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and I definitely understand the effect of the lack of light in the winter; now that I live in Ohio, I'm not in a hurry to move back to a higher latitude. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

It's that weird time of year and we are capping off 2020, which hasn't been a good year at all.

It's perfectly fine to feel less motivated. I'm glad you decided to speak about it and start a conversation, because that really helps.

If you don't feel like shaving every day, take a break. Or switch it up. It might be time for a new purchase. :D

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Any day the Permacloud (TM) will descend on us here in SW Ohio, and it will stay till mid-late March. I'm in the Miami River valley, and the combination of low land and the huge open waters of Lakes Erie and Michigan to the north and northwest means that moisture gets picked up off the warmer lake water and settles here in a permanent grey cloud. It literally never breaks. Fortunately we don't get 300 inches of lake effect snow, but the Permacloud (TM) is just awful. I've spent winters in New Hampshire where it snowed all the time and the temp hovered around 0 for weeks, but there'd be days when the sky was so bright and blue it was almost purple. I've also spent winters in Ireland where it is perpetually 38 degrees F and wet for 4 solid months (not to mention 16 hours of darkness each day) but despite the wet and the dark the skies move quickly and there's at least a little sun most days. Honestly I'd take either of those over the Permacloud (TM).

Top Bottom