What's new

Feeling less motivated?!

I find myself feeling less motivated to shave as the colder weather approaches in addition to taking more Working From Home (WFH) days. I go outside with the family and wind kicks in and I am wondering, why did I shave today (ha ha). Or maybe its just me getting more lazier because there is barely any sunlight out during the upcoming winter days.

Anyone else finding themselves in this situation?

Many people are negatively affected by the loss of light associated with the changing of the seasons. It often leads to a loss of motivation and moodiness. I have several relatives that suffer from a form of this known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD) that they treat with light therapy.

I understand. I’ve been feeling it lately myself. Today is he third day since my last shave and I’m not feeling it. I had a migraine earlier this week and think I may have another one coming on today. I hate winter. It makes everything hurt and makes me moody and cranky.

Shaving always makes me feel better.

Yesterday afternoon I was tired and went to go for a nap. Decided to shave instead. The eucalyptus in the Proraso preshave, the hot then cold water and then the burn from the aftershave refreshed me and I ended up doing some work in the backyard I was putting off.

I almost always look forward to shaving unless I am in a rush.

I've been feeling somewhat that way for the last few months even though the weather here hasn't been that bad ( not a lot of cold weather still ) its almost like dreading shaving.. I know I need to but its been probably a couple of weeks since I last shaved....

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have been home working for about 8 months after going to the office every day for my whole working life. I decided to maintain some sort of discipline and standards so I get up and get dressed every day as if I were going to the office. I take exercise every day, go out in the fresh air, eat proper home cooked meals, keep my hair trimmed, and shave every day. In video meetings I can see that some of my colleagues have let things slide and I don't want that to happen to me. I read that the way you think about someone is the way you treat them, and the way you treat them is the way they become. That is as much true for the way you think of yourself as for others I believe. I suspect that were I to let my physical standards slip then my mental health would soon begin to suffer.

I did not think I was sensitive to the seasons and light until we moved to Seattle. Turns out that I have a mild seasonal ’disorder’ with my mood becoming markedly more optimistic as the days become longer! :a29: :a29:
I’ve never been diagnosed with SAD, but I wonder. Every November it’s the same, and every March I feel the cloud lift.

We’re you diagnosed, or do you just feel that you have it?

Not ‘diagnosed’ because this was not really worth bringing up with my MD. But I fit the profile.
I’ve never brought it up because I don’t want to have any diagnosis of depression on my record. You never know when they might start removing guns from those with any hint of a mental disorder, and I’m sure they would view any depression as a mental disorder.

I’ve never brought it up because I don’t want to have any diagnosis of depression on my record. You never know when they might start removing guns from those with any hint of a mental disorder, and I’m sure they would view any depression as a mental disorder.

Good point!

Here is the Pacific NW, this is very common during short, wet winter days (dark at 4 PM)!

The good news is that during the Summer Solstice you can read the newspaper outside at 10 PM! :a29:

The worse the weather the more likely I am to dawdle. A shower and leisurely shave is (for me) a quiet contemplative break and a way to ready and steady myself for the day.

Reactions: Avi

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Weather is never an issue in Austin and neither is wont of daylight. I rise far too early, drink coffee, eventually make breakfast, and then easy into shaving. It is always a pleasant break in the long morning.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have been home working for about 8 months after going to the office every day for my whole working life. I decided to maintain some sort of discipline and standards so I get up and get dressed every day as if I were going to the office. I take exercise every day, go out in the fresh air, eat proper home cooked meals, keep my hair trimmed, and shave every day. In video meetings I can see that some of my colleagues have let things slide and I don't want that to happen to me. I read that the way you think about someone is the way you treat them, and the way you treat them is the way they become. That is as much true for the way you think of yourself as for others I believe. I suspect that were I to let my physical standards slip then my mental health would soon begin to suffer.

^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^

It is important, to me, that I take the time and make the effort to present myself well to the world. My Bride. Our kids. My coworkers and community contacts.

And, ultimately, to myself.

I look forward to shaving every day and enjoy that 'me' time immensely. It absolutely brightens my day. :)

Just my personal opinion. :)

Top Bottom