What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - DFS

Merkur 45, dark blue Platinum (2), Palmolive Stick, Shavemac D01-2Band, Today Extreme Splash

74D8E0DB-B885-4D8B-ADB7-BBCE318E8453.jpeg

Synthetic Sundays!!!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230225_150453174.MP.jpg

RR Hawk, Feather AC blade (26) Castle Forbes Lime and A & P Cashmere brush

I live inland and seldom see the ocean so here is a sunrise scene on my monitor as a backdrop.
I am a hills kinda guy but right now, the ocean waves, hypnotic sound and a steady breeze would be nice.

I seldom use this brush but what the heck, it's Synthetic Sunday for me.
The lime scent stayed throughout the shave. This blade is still giving a DFS finish.

Please take care of yourself... and each other.

Still in and final shave of the month

2 day of growth

February GRUME : 15
2023 GRUYERE : 32

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (0)
Pre Shave : Shave Secret oil got it gotta use it
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, , Proraso white AS balm

Defaulting back to the usual Merkur 34 HD and GSB blade, good result as expected, after some rough couple of weeks trying blade / razor combo in the first 2 month, I am looking forward to march

Week 9 feb.jpg

Now lets hope that France will do better against Scotland than Ireland , watching the game a few hours late

And with that, I am out...

A bit of a strange way to get out of the month of restraint, with more regret than progress.

Ok, I noticed DE blades had left UK eBay so I sent a message to a seller, and he said that pretty much overnight UK eBay took down all listings for blades. They even went to the extent for removing previous records of past sales as well.

One of the last listings left were for some Treet Platinums for a good price (200 for just under £8), and I purchased them, but the strangest thing happened. They took away the sale. I've bought countless from eBay over the years, this is the first time it has happened.

So even though I bought something and ended the GRUME, the listing for the item was taken down.

shot-2023-02-26_20-52-54.jpg

There were some other blades I was planning to buy but no longer can. It's still possible to buy blades from abroad but they are a lot more expensive with a lot less choice than what there was before.

I'll use one example. A few days ago you could get 200 Treet Classics for £8, today the best deal is over £20 for the same number of blades from RBC. It's not great but what can you do.

I'm anticipating foreign sales of blades will be closed soon as well, so I am going to expand my stocks whilst I still can.

A lengthy explanation for my departure, but I had to get it off my chest.

Thanks for having me, I won't be around for next month's GRUME but I might throw my name in for April.

Good luck to the rest of you fine gentlemen for the last few days.

still in, no worries.. took around a week to shave but got two in back to back with the BB

Saturdays SOTD
BlackBird SS
Gillette Minora
TroyCraft 'Gold Top' 26mm 2-Band Badger
MWF Soap
Tasmanian Huon Pine Splash

IMG-7458a.jpg

Sundays SOTD
BlackBird SS
Gillette Minora
TroyCarft 'Apollo' 26mm G5C
A&E Peaches and Cognac Soap & Splash

IMG-7447a.jpg

Free Bird!!!! what a song.. If you love guitar you got to check this out, one of the best guitar solos going around.. for anyone that hasnt heard it you gotta check it out, starts mellow and kicks right in around 4:30 😎

A bit of a strange way to get out of the month of restraint, with more regret than progress.

Ok, I noticed DE blades had left UK eBay so I sent a message to a seller, and he said that pretty much overnight UK eBay took down all listings for blades. They even went to the extent for removing previous records of past sales as well.

One of the last listings left were for some Treet Platinums for a good price (200 for just under £8), and I purchased them, but the strangest thing happened. They took away the sale. I've bought countless from eBay over the years, this is the first time it has happened.

So even though I bought something and ended the GRUME, the listing for the item was taken down.

View attachment 1612521

There were some other blades I was planning to buy but no longer can. It's still possible to buy blades from abroad but they are a lot more expensive with a lot less choice than what there was before.

I'll use one example. A few days ago you could get 200 Treet Classics for £8, today the best deal is over £20 for the same number of blades from RBC. It's not great but what can you do.

I'm anticipating foreign sales of blades will be closed soon as well, so I am going to expand my stocks whilst I still can.

Thanks for having me, I won't be around for next month's GRUME but I might throw my name in for April.

You are right just performed a search from my usual uk sellers and none of them are advertising blades for sale anymore. Not sure why though

View attachment 1612521

Argh, that is painful!!!

I think this online store is local to you BigDealsMart. I purchased some Wizamets from them and they shipped to Canada!

Argh, that is painful!!!

I think this online store is local to you BigDealsMart. I purchased some Wizamets from them and they shipped to Canada!

He is the seller I exchanged messages with who told me they deleted all of his blade listings over night without any warning or explanation.

You are right just performed a search from my usual uk sellers and none of them are advertising blades for sale anymore. Not sure why though

I think it is down to new restrictions that sharp objects be it knives or blades can only be sold to over 18's unless they certify their age upon their receipt.

Which is fair enough but a little infuriating there was no prior warning or period of easing things in. One day it was business as normal then the next day they went entirely.

- Still In -

No shave today.
Playing Maintenance Man today:
  • Unclogged a drain upstairs
  • Replaced a pull-out faucet head and hose. Hose came missing an o-ring (that was a fun bit)
  • Replaced heating/cooling vents
  • Recaulked a sink
  • Replaced a few recessed light bulbs
I’m ready for a beer 🍻

I miss the sun…
Palm Desert is beautiful this time of year. This from last week. One of my daughters has a field trip here in two weeks, so I will be back as a chaperone.

141B07F3-ADFD-4F33-9F0A-3CDC16D44A46.jpeg

@StratMan
One of the best solos ever

Last edited:
- Still In -

No shave today.
Playing Maintenance Man today:
  • Unclogged a drain upstairs
  • Replaced a pull-out faucet head and hose. Hose came missing an o-ring (that was a fun bit)
  • Replaced heating/cooling vents
  • Recaulked a sink
  • Replaced a few recessed light bulbs
I’m ready for a beer 🍻

Palm Desert is beautiful this time of year. This from last week. One of my daughters has a field trip here in two weeks, so I will be back as a chaperone.

View attachment 1612608

@StratMan
One of the best solos ever

Don't you like it when the honey do list come ringing ?

My Sunday proved that I still suc.s at painting, those 2 doors will need more work, I was so hopping to be done

Top Bottom