What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I’m beginning to wonder if one factor in my recent closer shaves is the addition of steam treatment as part of my prep. 🤔

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Blade: Feather, shave #206
Razor: Gillette early postwar Tech.
Soap: B&M’s Night Music 🤢
Passes: Three and a half.
DFS+

I’m beginning to wonder if one factor in my recent closer shaves is the addition of steam treatment as part of my prep. 🤔

Prep: hot water and moisturizer soap wash alternating with steam treatment.
Blade: Feather, shave #206
Razor: Gillette early postwar Tech.
Soap: B&M’s Night Music 🤢
Passes: Three and a half.
DFS+
Could be the reason, your hair is probably softer. My shaves have been better since I let lather dwell on face longer.

Day 5, 17.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid

Continuing with SV70, I had plenty of time, so had a relaxing near-BBS.

Still in.

I used this setup for a shave while I was away:

Romer7 Regalia razor
Vicco Turmeric Shaving Cream w/Sandalwood oil
Witch hazel and unnamed aftershave by Shavologist
R K Stainless steel blades
Green travel brush

I returned late last night, and the journey was well worth it!

Not only I thoroughly enjoyed the function (Meditation event) but also the 600 miles travel each side by car. It felt like I've finally broken out of my shell, and now am ready to work on myself even better.

On Indian roads with mixed condition of highways and village roads, it is a big deal and honestly my limit of comfortable driving in a day.

It took me 12 hours to complete the journey while taking breaks and enjoying the snacks. Although my whole body is kind of sore, but it's a pain I'd happily endure in exchange for the freedom and experience that comes with such an event.

I'll be Shaving later on in the evening, right now I'm basking in the sun, enjoying a cup of tea at home.

It's good to be back, both here and at home.

Date06.02.2023
365 days of shaving37/365 (100%)
GRUYERE37/365 (100%)
GRUME February06/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3 and touch ups
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41Tiger Platinum (6)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
4.5/10 (CCS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and cruising leisurely past the first week into the second. No urges. I can even look at websites and keep it cool. Best example: went to a trift shop this Saturday and enjoyed the bargain hunt for certain items when I spotted a Gillette travel set in excellent condition (with ball-end Tech) and complete for absolutely petty cash. And left it on display. Already have a fine Tech.

Perhaps against better judgment, but the Tiger got paired today with the R41 for a sixth (and during the shaving apparent) and final run. The R41 tamed the Tiger into performance, but the previous 5 shaves already took the edge off the blade and its performance was sub standard for me. It got the job done, but by the time I did the third pass I had the idea that no matter how much 0strokes and buffing I would do, stubble would remain. So the end result was a mere SAS on the neck and chin, and CCS- on cheeks and upper lip. Still - no weepers, cuts or nicks and it was even more comfortable in the R41 as opposed to the Flatboy. I think I will use OBiF to experiment which razors work best with this razor. I already have a good handle on the vintage Gillettes (who all make the Tiger perform, with the NEW Improved and NEW Flat Bottom delivering BBS shaves) and for February and SWS I have selected a number of razors that have never met the Tiger yet, including my beloved Ti95.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still in 🙏🏽

Twentieth and last shave in this series. I tried eightteen different blades in the wonderful PAA Prismatic. Some blades performed poorly, but must did great in this razor.
One blade surpassed them all, delivering a truly top notch performance. And because the Dorco Prime was the best of them all, I finished the series with another shave with it.
This superb blade was put to the test: four days stubble, one stroke ATG. And the Dorco Prime delivered. Just a few touch ups and both chin and scalp were silky smooth.
Now I have two days to think what gear I will use next, after the many shaves with the Prismatic. I am thoroughly enjoying it already 😁

DEFF4A17-D2E4-47B0-82CD-1D8C1FA92C80.jpeg

Date06.02.2023
365 days of shaving37/365 (100%)
GRUYERE37/365 (100%)
GRUME February06/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3 and touch ups
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41Tiger Platinum (6)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
4.5/10 (CCS-)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and cruising leisurely past the first week into the second. No urges. I can even look at websites and keep it cool. Best example: went to a trift shop this Saturday and enjoyed the bargain hunt for certain items when I spotted a Gillette travel set in excellent condition (with ball-end Tech) and complete for absolutely petty cash. And left it on display. Already have a fine Tech.

Perhaps against better judgment, but the Tiger got paired today with the R41 for a sixth (and during the shaving apparent) and final run. The R41 tamed the Tiger into performance, but the previous 5 shaves already took the edge off the blade and its performance was sub standard for me. It got the job done, but by the time I did the third pass I had the idea that no matter how much 0strokes and buffing I would do, stubble would remain. So the end result was a mere SAS on the neck and chin, and CCS- on cheeks and upper lip. Still - no weepers, cuts or nicks and it was even more comfortable in the R41 as opposed to the Flatboy. I think I will use OBiF to experiment which razors work best with this razor. I already have a good handle on the vintage Gillettes (who all make the Tiger perform, with the NEW Improved and NEW Flat Bottom delivering BBS shaves) and for February and SWS I have selected a number of razors that have never met the Tiger yet, including my beloved Ti95.

Enjoy your shave today!
Kudos for not yielding to the siren call of a nice vintage razor at a great price 👍

Double kudos for sticking a well used blade in the R41 👍👍

Kudos for not yielding to the siren call of a nice vintage razor at a great price 👍

Double kudos for sticking a well used blade in the R41 👍👍
Thanks man. Funny thing was that the LOTH actually wanted me to get the set at first! She said I could always flip it. My jaw was on the floor! But she agreed in the car that it is better without than with.

So this opens doors to infinite possibilities when I complete this year’s GRUYERE - “but honey I haven’t bought anything all year, and you said….remember?!” 😁

On the 6th day of February, I am out!

I sold my Karve Christopher Bradley Brass razor today, and found a Muhle Rocca Stainless for sale on Reddit for $10 more than I sold the Karve for.

Farewell my brothers! I'll be seeing you.
I hear ya brother. I have been eyeing the Christopher Bradley in aluminum pretty regularly. Have promised myself it will be a birthday gift to myself...3 months to go!
Be well
Jay

2-6-23 Mon. AM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 37 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (3)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 50014

After yesterday I stuck to 2 passes. A nice DFS+. Didnt need any post shave but splashed on a bit of Clubman just cause I wanted to. Used the @Marco method of loading with a wet brush, worked well had. Still not a fan of the scent of Seville, cannot argue with the results tho. Are there any other currently available B&M soaps that lean more toward citrusy?

Be well
Jay

SOTD February 6th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February
Mühle Mondays

Hello friends!

Last night I watched the 4th episode of The Last of Us. Thankfully, the world hasn't ended yet and I was able to get a wonderful shave this morning.

This was my first time with the RR Don Marco which has a light citrus scent and protection. Wisely, I used White Proraso Pre Shave Cream to face (no pun intended) R41 and Feather. The Jade is getting softer and completely got rid of the unpleasant smell.

Good week and great shaves!
❤️ 🪒

10704ADC-5B61-4F70-A387-EAA14185E8C8.jpeg
E182F022-BA69-4E00-8ADF-FF30A974239E.jpeg

Top Bottom