What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

still in!

sotd 5-2

Leaf Shave - Twig
Schick Super Stainless Steel (6)
Omega 10019
Martin de Candre - Vétyver
Balea Sensitive ASB
Davidoff - Adventure edt

proxy.php

I got my Captain 2 Best especially for bowl lathering (as advertised) but it feels akward working a bowl so I now use it to face lather. It’s ok but not mind blowing I might have to use it more often…

View attachment 1600532
Perhaps the M7 fits that bill just the more better. Similar handle, but distinctly different enough. A touch smaller in the knot diameter IIRC

Very quick and deliberate SAS this morning before jumping on the road - enjoy your Sunday !
3CF4676A-13E2-4512-8B18-8280A043D6CC.jpeg

Perhaps the M7 fits that bill just the more better. Similar handle, but distinctly different enough. A touch smaller in the knot diameter IIRC

Very quick and deliberate SAS this morning before jumping on the road - enjoy your Sunday !
View attachment 1600937
It’s not the end of the world and I do have a couple of brushes to play around. For another Best I would go for something smaller like the Berkeley.

One of my goals is to whittle down my samples and creams. As the Karo is coming to an end I did a dive into the stash today and brought up the candidates for the next months.

The five on the left will go on my head, the three on the right on my mug.

View attachment 1600969

High end/expensive soaps/creams do nothing for me but some budget European shaving creams that are difficult to get hold off in the UK - yep, they are the ones I'd want to track down!

We all have our Achilles heels in this hobby!

2-5-23 Sun. PM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 36 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (2)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 50014

The missus mentioned she would like to take a few days off and spend an extra long weekend visiting family up north in March. Decided that I should get back to breaking in my Omega 50014 boar travel brush. I must say I really enjoy these small brushes, it built a very nice lather and isnt too rough on the face.
Was settled into a nice smooth easy-going shave when my Dad dropped in for a visit. Cut the shave short after 2 passes. Probably a good thing...still ended up being DFS++
FANTASTIC.
20230205_150903.jpg

Be well
Jay

High end/expensive soaps/creams do nothing for me but some budget European shaving creams that are difficult to get hold off in the UK - yep, they are the ones I'd want to track down!

We all have our Achilles heels in this hobby!
Is Williams Cream still available in the UK? I would also love to have a selection of readily available Indian creams at hand.

Yet you are right with all the Italian, Spanish and CEE stuff around it makes for for a wide and budget friendly selection :)

Is Williams Cream still available in the UK? I would also love to have a selection of readily available Indian creams at hand.

Yet you are right with all the Italian, Spanish and CEE stuff around it makes for for a wide and budget friendly selection :)

Nope. Post Brexit lots of European shaving products are difficult to get hold off sadly.

Yes you are spot on about the shaving creams from the nations you mention. Eg Italy - Palmolive Menthol and Spain - Lea (all!) are wonderful performers.

One of my favourite shaving creams is the Hungarian made one Barbon, which is supposed to be pennies in it's home nation but quite a bit more expensive on eBay now (£27 for the shaving cream and the splash). The one you pictured above, the Wilkinson Sword cream was one of the ones I'd been searching for a while, but never found!

Heard some great things about some of the Indian made creams like Vi-John. I'd used a few others, Old Spice and Dettol which were pretty good.

3 days worth of growth

Febraury GRUME : 3
2023 GRUYERE : 20

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette Platinum (0)
Pre Shave : Proraso white
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, Clubman Pinaud, NIVEA MEN Sensitive Calm Moisturizer

Alright shave, a nick or two that were taken care of by the alum block, I though that the Clubman Pinaud was going to be enough but some balm was needed as well.

IMG-0798.jpg

Top Bottom