What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

4/2/23 - Still in

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - MWF/Kent
Brush - Shed Eleven Handle/ Boti 27mm N3C
Razor - English Old Type Clone
Blade - Gillette Nacet Stainless (1)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Old Spice

IMG_20230204_174428.jpg

SOTD February 4th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February
Semogue Saturdays!

My friends always ask me what my desert island razor is. I tell them if I was alone in an island I would never shave. However, I would certainly listen to some music and it would probably be from the Johnny Hartman album Songs From The Heart.

Well, since I’m not on a desert island, I had a dawn fine shave, this morning. FOCS, Astra SP, SOC, TOBS and Floïd were phenomenal!

Have a nice weekend and wonderful shaves!
❤️🪒

43F7FB24-34F2-4CFB-9B2A-3BB4F3FAA429.jpeg
29B0FE6C-CCDF-45FA-8916-B2286E5485E6.jpeg

2-4-23 Sat. PM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 35 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (1)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: RR Bruce

3 passes just now ended in damn near BBS. Haven't used the Seville much as I dont care for the scent in the tub, but wow does it lather easily. So slick and my face feels great after, even skipping any post care products.

Be well
Jay

I have one of these sweet little brushes in Best Badger.
View attachment 1600232
Lovely tiny knot (mine is a 19/42), but the handle is great (for me) since I prefer longer handles (read: 45mm is the minumum height I still can enjoy)... I've never considered a Simpsons in Pure since I'm totally averse of scritch.

Besides, I really wonder why they have ceased producing the Special.

That's a smart advice!
I have never considered this easy solution #facepalm.

Cheers!
Guido
This brush has been a joy to use since day one. In a sense, this was my gateway into Simpson’s. I bought the pure and found (like my Mühle) that the quality of the bristle was much softer that other Pures I’ve owned. Very mild scritch, both only bested in pure by a Plisson I own.

The Special I purchased afterward in Best also hits superbly with softness yet plenty of backbone. I have found this to be true with every Best that I’ve purchased, so much so that I don’t feel the desire to elevate.

This brush has been a joy to use since day one. In a sense, this was my gateway into Simpson’s.

The Special I purchased afterward in Best also hits superbly with softness yet plenty of backbone. I have found this to be true with every Best that I’ve purchased, so much so that I don’t feel the desire to elevate.
I absolutely agree.

All of my Simpsons are in the Best quality, all but the Chubby 3. But this brush is so densely packed that she also features a wonderful backbone experience (with unreal soft tips).

Price/performance-wise the Best is tough to beat (at least as Simpsons brushes are concerned).

Cheers!

I absolutely agree.

All of my Simpsons are in the Best quality, all but the Chubby 3. But this brush is so densely packed that she also features a wonderful backbone experience (with unreal soft tips).

Price/performance-wise the Best is tough to beat (at least as Simpsons brushes are concerned).

Cheers!
I got my Captain 2 Best especially for bowl lathering (as advertised) but it feels akward working a bowl so I now use it to face lather. It’s ok but not mind blowing I might have to use it more often…

C2661DF1-F7B8-4FCA-939C-D4788FEFCD2F.jpeg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in?
Hey guys
In an effort to take care of my shaving brush one of our esteemed members recommended a comb to help with removing mats. Does purchasing a comb disqualify me from the February GRUME? :)

I'll let others split hairs as to whether or not this purchase puts you out. I'm more concerned that Jeff "Lex Luthor" Bezos is comfortable allowing a plastic comb to be sold for $14.00+. YMMV

Still safe!
I guess their is a little gray area in that I did buy the comb as a tool to be used post shave. I shave my head daily and haven’t had the need for a comb in like 25 years.

Does it come within the spirit (if maybe not the letter) of Rule 1c (my highlight in red)?

1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

Having read about combing brushes being a good thing , you found you didn't have a comb lying around...

Day 4, 14.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

Continued using SV70 (my soap for the first week of February). Since Friday's shave was a bit rushed, had a thorough, multi-pass near-BBS.

Date05.02.2023
365 days of shaving36/365 (100%)
GRUYERE36/365 (100%)
GRUME February05/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes4
XWTG (2)Cheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTG (2)Cheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyTiger Platinum (5)Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
5/10 (CCS)7/10 (comfortable-ish)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Tiger is clearly over the top in terms of performance as I need more passes to get the job done. I steered clear from going overly ATG (some in the neck) hence the end result of CCS - which in my book is kind of sub standard (although comfortable and without injuries is always a good thing), but the point of today’s shave was to learn more about the angle or sweet spot for this razor and I did. It’s more neutral than I actually thought or at least with this blade.

More details on this shave and others can be found here in my journal.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!

Last edited:
I got my Captain 2 Best especially for bowl lathering (as advertised) but it feels akward working a bowl so I now use it to face lather. It’s ok but not mind blowing I might have to use it more often…

View attachment 1600532
Good morning Hannes,
Why does bowl lathering with the Captain2 feel akward?
I didn't expect it to be better for lathering the face due to the longer and rather slim handle....

Cheers
Guido

Top Bottom