What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

It comes to something when it is colder in Texas than it is in London! Enjoyed a positively balmy 11*C in Canary Wharf today :)

Hello from South Carolina, near Augusta GA. Stay warm
Well lets face it , it is just under freezing temp, but for a place not set up for it this is always a fun moment.

Growing up along the english channel myself (some mays say the best side of the english channel after all we call it la manche) I certainly do know what the weather can look like there, and there is plenty of folks here that do not see ground for extended period of time if not the whole winter

Still in 🙏🏽

19th consecutive shave with my plaything Prismatic, loaded with a BIC chrome platinum.
Two more blades to decide which blade works best for me in this razor.
The BIC will not be the winner, although it delivered a close shave. It was by no means the most comfy. A bit cranky, as if it wasn't very keen to do its job. Reminded me of a grease haired, heavy smoking cashier with a hangover, so to speak. I added a picture, you'll get my drift.

This Yaqi badger is HUGE. A completely different experience, made me feel like a novice. Have to work on this big boy to get the hang of it.

The Santa Maria Novella may be a luxurious soap in scent and use, but our @Marco should try to explain to those people a $70 soap should not be sold in a plastic container. That's like serving caviar in a wrap. Can't believe this insensitive... blunder 🤷🏾‍♀️

A7DB4300-C40E-4618-8DB9-CD0EEEE5C517.jpeg
3C27DDDB-55A0-402E-8F78-A84A4D706CA1.jpeg

01/02/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - The Fat
Brush - Omega/GFS 'The Hog' 10019
Razor - Yaqi Old Type
Blade - Statum Platinum Chrome (6)
Post - Effect Cucumber
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum

It's my first time dipping my toe into the world of GRUMEs. Like others I imagine, I'd got a little too obsessed in trying to gather new gear, often splitting hairs for the differences. I'm sure stepping back from the mindset for always looking to purchase and just enjoy the gear I already have will be liberating for a few weeks at least!

Ok, now onto the shave!

Starting with the brush, I think it might be the 10th or so shave with this little boar brush. I've finally worked out what it finally is. It's an Omega made 10019, but branded the Goodfellas Smile 'The Hog'. The difference between it and the Omega 10019, is 'The Hog' seems to have partially bleached bristles, whilst I think the Omega 10019 has unbleached bristles, both have the same handle though.

The brush itself did a fairly good job of building a lather, but seemed to eat a bit of lather considering how much soap I loaded at the start of the shave, decent lather but a little on the thin side of things for my liking. The shave itself was fine, but I'm fairly sure the blade was done for the last shave, pushing it for a 6th shave wasn't ideal but I managed to get the shave done without too much trouble. I'm really impressed with this particular blade, I think I need to use a few more in my closed comb razors to see it fares with those, but it worked beautifully in my OC razors.

My face felt great at the end of the shave, very smooth and great post shave feel from the Fat as ever.

Good luck with the rest of the month gents.

IMG_20230201_182425.jpg

01/02/23

Pre - Palmolive
Soap - The Fat
Brush - Omega/GFS 'The Hog' 10019
Razor - Yaqi Old Type
Blade - Statum Platinum Chrome (6)
Post - Effect Cucumber
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum

It's my first time dipping my toe into the world of GRUMEs. Like others I imagine, I'd got a little too obsessed in trying to gather new gear, often splitting hairs for the differences. I'm sure stepping back from the mindset for always looking to purchase and just enjoy the gear I already have will be liberating for a few weeks at least!

Ok, now onto the shave!

Starting with the brush, I think it might be the 10th or so shave with this little boar brush. I've finally worked out what it finally is. It's an Omega made 10019, but branded the Goodfellas Smile 'The Hog'. The difference between it and the Omega 10019, is 'The Hog' seems to have partially bleached bristles, whilst I think the Omega 10019 has unbleached bristles, both have the same handle though.

The brush itself did a fairly good job of building a lather, but seemed to eat a bit of lather considering how much soap I loaded at the start of the shave, decent lather but a little on the thin side of things for my liking. The shave itself was fine, but I'm fairly sure the blade was done for the last shave, pushing it for a 6th shave wasn't ideal but I managed to get the shave done without too much trouble. I'm really impressed with this particular blade, I think I need to use a few more in my closed comb razors to see it fares with those, but it worked beautifully in my OC razors.

My face felt great at the end of the shave, very smooth and great post shave feel from the Fat as ever.

Good luck with the rest of the month gents.

View attachment 1598421
Good choice to join GRUME, as any of us will testify 👏🏼

Shave #1
- Still In -

• *MdC Fougère - SOTM
  • *T&H Rooney 3/2 - Silvertip
  • *Thiers Issard Sheffield- 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum (1)- OBIF
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • DG Sunrise on LaSalle splash with menthol
* SWS
img_0466-jpg.1598431

Solidly wonderful 3-pass shave this morning; 2 on the straight followed by a final ATG pass using the Minora Platinum.
Great kit today made for it to be super smooth and comfortable. New jar of MdC Fougère made for a luxurious lather though the2nd pass used a touch more water for near perfection.

IMG_0467.JPG

Still in 🙏🏽

19th consecutive shave with my plaything Prismatic, loaded with a BIC chrome platinum.
The BIC will not be the winner, although it delivered a close shave. It was by no means the most comfy. A bit cranky, as if it wasn't very keen to do its job. Reminded me of a grease haired, heavy smoking cashier with a hangover, so to speak. I added a picture, you'll get my drift.

This Yaqi badger is HUGE. A completely different experience, made me feel like a novice. Have to work on this big boy to get the hang of it.

The Santa Maria Novella may be a luxurious soap in scent and use, but our @Marco should try to explain to those people a $70 soap should not be sold in a plastic container. That's like serving caviar in a wrap. Can't believe this insensitive... blunder 🤷🏾‍♀️

View attachment 1598417View attachment 1598418
Jack I’m personally more the function over form guy. So the plastic container of SMN is not not totally off putting for me. Do you load directly from the tub or scoop your portion out?

Once it gets warmer I will bring back my Santa Maria del Fiore which, while having a classy glass jar, is quite a clunker to move around.

A96544C8-E7E2-4A4A-97A0-FF4078EDF44C.jpeg

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Still in 🙏🏽

View attachment 1598417View attachment 1598418
My beloved SV does come in great looking metal tins. :gunsmilie:

Welcome on board!👍
I hope you'll enjoy the ride with us... 😀

99.999 % of the stuff which might tempt you in course of this month (if there'll be temptation at all) will still be readily available in March. Always keep that in mind... you will make it! 👍
Just enjoy your stuff 😀

Cheers
Guido

Still in

I've used a syntethic brush for the first time in over two months 🙂 Now that BADGERary is finished I will use them more often. Also it was my first shave with Los Jabones De Joserra soap, that I've bought around black friday. I still need to dial it in, but first experience was impressive. Overall, a great start of a new month.

2023-02-01 17.27.25.jpg

Welcome on board!👍
I hope you'll enjoy the ride with us... 😀

99.999 % of the stuff which might tempt you in course of this month (if there'll be temptation at all) will still be readily available in March. Always keep that in mind... you will make it! 👍
Just enjoy your stuff 😀

Cheers
Guido

Thanks for the welcome!' I'd like to enjoy the gear I already have, instead of always looking to the next purchase. Yes, you are spot on. If I need to get something, it'll still be there in a month's time!

Shave #1
- Still In -

• *MdC Fougère - SOTM
  • *T&H Rooney 3/2 - Silvertip
  • *Thiers Issard Sheffield- 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum (1)- OBIF
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • DG Sunrise on LaSalle splash with menthol
* SWS
img_0466-jpg.1598431

Solidly wonderful 3-pass shave this morning; 2 on the straight followed by a final ATG pass using the Minora Platinum.
Great kit today made for it to be super smooth and comfortable. New jar of MdC Fougère made for a luxurious lather though the2nd pass used a touch more water for near perfection.

View attachment 1598469
admitedly I know jack about straight razor, but a made in france razor using english steel is an interesting take on the problem ...

2-1-23 Wed. PM

SWS: 5 of 52
365: 32 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Nacet (5)
Soap: Glastonbury
Brush: Semogue 1305

Gotten used to using my synthetic brush, forgot how hungry the boar is in comparison. Had to go back to the puck for a bit more soap.
3 passes for DFS++ the Nacet is still smooth shaving but might not be cutting quite as close. Tiny bit more stubble left at the end.

Be well
Jay

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in.

This, hopefully, will be the image for the entirety of February's G.R.U.M.E. I'm going for a fixed five for the month.

20230201_161617.jpg

Since I'm in the OBiF challenge I've also decided to fix the other culprits in my daily shave. May as well do it in the shortest month of the year.

Gillette Slim Aristocrat on 3
Shark 🦈 Platinum (1)
Arko! on my face
Duke 3 in Best
Lucky Tiger 🐅 Tonic

Threw on some Lucky Tiger Aspen

Only 2 passes W/X

=DFS my neck leaves a bit to be desired, I'll need to be working my stretchy/pulls a lot more this month.

1st the razor. I picked the Slim to allow for some flexibility as I'm trying to complete the month using one blade. This is definitely the what I'm most anxious about. Hence the two pass shave, trying to extend the mileage. I almost exclusively use feather blades and I get 4-5 shaves out if them. We'll see how it goes. I really did like the Shark today.

On to the soap and blade. FebArko!Sharko is all I have to say.

The brush I'll be using is my Simpson's Duke 3 in best. I love this brush but I can be kinda lazy and not bother with a soak resulting in a synthetic.

Lucky Tiger Tonic is always my aftershave.

For me a restraint within the restraint. I do enjoy switching things up with the gear that I have. It will be interesting to see how I feel this month keeping it to the same kit.

Anyhow, happy shaves!!!

Top Bottom