What's new

February 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD #058/2022
27-Feb-2022
20220227_164450-01.jpeg

Still in.

My GRUYERE exception arrived yesterday, so I could give it a spin today in my Sunday shave. In a nutshell, the Henson Ti22 ++ met my expectation of being a great shaver. The additional weight of the Ti22 is a plus over the AL13 imo. The Ti topcap perfectly glided over my face. 2 passes, BBS. Not a faint hint of skin irritation.

It's great to finally have a Henson in the den again, what a lovely shave.

Have a sunny Sunday, y'all!

Last edited:
Still in. Had a busy week traveling to visit dad so I haven’t been as active with my SOTD.

A nice homecoming shave this morning with the usual suspects.

FOCS
Nacet
Semogue SOC boar
Cella
Stephan’s bay rum
Proraso red balm.

See y’all in a month for April GRUME. I’m taking a month off from challenges so I can hunt down a few pucks of tallow Tabac before it’s gone, and I hope to snag a SS Vector when they restock (which Blackland said should be soon 🤞). I had fun dialing in Cella this month for my inaugural SOTMC but I’m ready for a little variety. I’ll probably chime in on the March thread for moral support 😘.

SOTyesterD
  • Thin-cap Old Type head/Ball-end Tech handle
  • Nacet (23) - OBiF
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
  • Scottish Deer-horn Mystery Badger
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
A very nice two-pass shave, with one exception.

I think I've finally learned how to make optimal lather with Mike's - at least this tin, even with a few different brushes, though I find that floppy-ish brushes work better than really scrubby brushes. I put a little water in the tin before my shower, then leave that water in place while loading a wet brush. The result is consistently dense, creamy lather that slops around easily, yet doesn't slide off my face. Lather like this just a joy to use.

I said this about the Single Ring that I used on Friday:
This razor is light, which may lure the unwary into using too much pressure. A very light touch and slick lather, paired with a sharp blade, will reward a careful user with a wonderful shave and little fuss.

The TCOT is pretty much the same. I find the Single-Ring to be slightly more aggressive and efficient, while the TCOT is less forgiving (which is a pretty high bar).

Unfortunately, I had a moment of inattention while working sideways under my nose. The razor noticed my inattention, took it as a sign of disrespect, and immediately passed judgement:
One weeper due, and one weeper I shall have!

Sorry, that was on me.

Onward!

SOTD #059/2022
28-Feb-2022
20220228_111200-01-01.jpeg

Another great shave with the Henson Ti22 ++.
I paired the razor with the vintage Polsilver Stainless. 2 passes, uber smooth- and an effortless BBS.

Congrats to all participants! We did it! 😀
See you on the other side (aka March GRUME).

Have a great start into the new week, y'all!

Last edited:
Still in!
Feb 28 - 26th shave of the month.

Saturday I shaved after a hard workout - not a great idea as the reduced motor skill coordination led to a few cuts. So took Sunday off.

This morning’s kit:
Ralf Aust 6/8
MdC Agrumes
Tiffany badger.

I got the MdC as a gift in December, today was the first use. The container was actually packed with soap flush with the rim which made wetting it a bit tricky. But in the end what initially looked like an under loading proved sufficient for 3 passes. Great smell, great lather.

It’s been a pleasure gents doing the Feb GRUME with you. I will take off the month of March to see how well I can do when not officially in a GRUME.
2BBAB9B8-1D7F-44A3-BE1D-B1BDA530B5E6.jpeg

Regarding my Beagle and the "hole" it's developing:

I used it yesterday and put it on the windowsill to dry, then didn't shave today, so it's still on the windowsill. When I looked this morning...no hole. Yeah, it's weird behavior, all right. I'm going to give it (and several other brushes) a day-spa treatment of borax, followed by white vinegar, followed by dish soap, followed by a good rinse. We'll see how my little wet dog behaves after that.

I did a thorough cleansing of that brush and three others, following the process outlined above. All the brushes came out nicely - a fair bit cleaner, maybe a little softer - and I set them on the windowsill to dry. Checking the Beagle 24 hours later...a little hole. WTH?

I'm putting it (and the others) away for FFFMM. We'll see how things go once it's had some time in the kennel, but if it doesn't shape up, I'll need to contact its former owner to get some training tips.

Made it! Final shave of February's GRUME

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Aloeclear African Black Soap
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave oil
- D.R. Harris Arlington Shave Stick

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Stirling Unscented with Menthol - Witch Hazel & Aloe
- Hylamide Skin Serums
- Scottish Fine Soaps Thistle & Black Pepper Aftershave balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- FaTip Piccolo OC/Gentile
- Israeli Red (5)
- Semogue 2021 Spanish Shavers Boar Limited Edition

Fragrance for the day
- Floris 89 EDT

Nearing the end of the line and I cannot believe how fast it has flown by.
I love this restraint support system. I can confess that many times I have caught myself looking and added to cart, only to shut the window and realize "tomorrow" how much of an impulse buy that would have been, rather than necessity.

Though I have been wet-shaving for many decades, I am still a new-comer to this world of artisan soaps, creams, brushes; DE shaving in general. I admit that I have used that excuse in justification to build inventory of blades and various software. I have really only found the beauty of using what I own to truly appreciate the brush, soap, cream, etc.

Thank you for showing me the way...

With that, my final two shaves of 02-2022

Stirling for Sundays
  • Pinaud Clubman Pre-Shave
  • Stirling Sharp Dressed Man (Sample Puck)
  • Adam Grooming Atelier Badger (Mühle Rytmo)
  • Mühle R89
  • Permasharp (3)
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • Captain's Choice Menthol A/S
Interesting shave experience. I had the wonderful idea to consolidate by smashing an unused sample into my open container of Stirling SDM. While I've had no problems with getting this soap to a wonderful density in the past, I could not get the load to grow in the bowl. It appeared that I had a hefty load on the brush, but it would simply not get thick (I am conservative with water), no matter how much liquid I added. More than likely I will decouple the puck and see if I can generate dense lather from each source independently.

Great shave with the Permasharp, but the feedback from the Astringent and A/S definitely reminded me the importance of patience and proceeding only with appropriate software application - ZING

6FB97446-80CA-43EF-99FE-C8B78DE2C589.jpeg

Today - MdC Monday
  • Truefitt & Hill Pre-Shave
  • MdC Agrumes
  • Kent BLK4 Silvertip
  • Mühle R89
  • Permasharp (4) - Binned
  • Thayer's Lavender Toner
  • Captain's Choice Non-Menthol A/S
After yesterday's shave experience followed by an afternoon on the sunny beach. I went with a surefire soap to end the month. I don't think I scooped more than normal, but given my recent thinness, I was not about to take chances. Brilliant shave - foam was rich and dense (easily enough for 6 or 7 passes). So wonderfully aromatic - MdC is easily in my top 3

DBF1B85F-B5E7-482D-A954-B78A6BDA283D.jpeg

Top Bottom