What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am out and I'm proud, as they say. I'm just after ordering this brush. This will be Brad Sears last 26mm fan brush- he's apparently going exclusively to 28 & 30mm. I always wanted a Brad Sears, I love the Eagle shape handle, and 26mm is as big as I'd ever go, so it was now or never. My first ever bespoke custom brush. I can't decide whether it looks more like a glass of Guinness or like an Anglican clergyman. Actually, with the hourglass shape it looks like an Anglican clergywoman. That's it! I'll call this brush "The Vicar of Dibley!"

This isn't really a failure- I am doing these restraints so that I can make purchases like this in a sane, responsible way, and not out of compulsion.
View attachment 1227773
All you need is to pour a shamrock on top and it's definitely a pint of Guinness

I am out and I'm proud, as they say. I'm just after ordering this brush. This will be Brad Sears last 26mm fan brush- he's apparently going exclusively to 28 & 30mm. I always wanted a Brad Sears, I love the Eagle shape handle, and 26mm is as big as I'd ever go, so it was now or never. My first ever bespoke custom brush. I can't decide whether it looks more like a glass of Guinness or like an Anglican clergyman. Actually, with the hourglass shape it looks like an Anglican clergywoman. That's it! I'll call this brush "The Vicar of Dibley!"

This isn't really a failure- I am doing these restraints so that I can make purchases like this in a sane, responsible way, and not out of compulsion.
View attachment 1227773

That’s a good looking brush for sure and totally worth going out for 👍

I totally agree with your last paragraph and why you do these restraints. I used to buy everything that peaked my interest and got lots of good stuff with a few great ones. Being held accountable by you fine gents is teaching me self control and I’m able to hold out for the occasional thing(s) I feel are great instead of good and things I truly want. Thanks gents

View attachment 1227773

As you said, you've shown great restraint over the last year. It seems that you made a considered purchase and in that sense, this could be seen as a win rather than a fail. Please do continue to play along at home and I hope you'll join for March.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (2/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (2/7: PIF entry)
4) Sinnbad11 - out (2/23: PAA soap)
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (2/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) Rhody - out (2/22: Semogue brush)
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455 - out (2/22: Timeless plate)
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (2/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) @Cino
32) Owen Bawn - out (2/24: Brad Sears brush)
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Still in.

Wednesday shave

5B6694BA-37A1-47BA-8398-5F7423BBBA22.jpeg

Prep: Cleansing Story White Clay Deep Cleansing Foam
Cream: Castle Forbes Lavender
Brush: Vie-Long Silvertip
Razor: Mühle R89 Grande, #6 (shimmed)
Blade: Feather, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Stirling Bergamot and Lavender splash

Not too shabby today. DFS on my face and most of my neck with one small patch of SAS in the typical trouble area of my lower left neck. Two passes only with minimal feedback from the alum. A little tugging from the blade, but nothing dramatic. I’ll probably take it shimmed and steep tomorrow. Overall I'm not too wild about the R89 and at this point through my two weeks with it, I doubt it will have a permanent spot in the den.

Still in.
Razor: GEM MMOC (bumps)
Blade: GEM PTFE
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Venture
This was my first time using the MMOC. Very close and smooth shave. Went with the recommended shallow angle and was rewarded with a great shave. Have a great day y’all!
92636B2F-7CA9-468E-BC3C-8649E3AC0AC7.jpeg

Still in.

Same hardware and software as yesterday. I’m enjoying the Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly. Great shave.

My wife went through my soaps, aftershaves, toners and misc splashes while I shaved and gave me a running commentary on what she liked and disliked scent wise. She definitely does not like the smell of sandalwood. That explains her extreme ultimatum in regards to Proraso Red. She even gagged smelling my TOBS sandalwood.

Still in.

Same hardware and software as yesterday. I’m enjoying the Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly. Great shave.

My wife went through my soaps, aftershaves, toners and misc splashes while I shaved and gave me a running commentary on what she liked and disliked scent wise. She definitely does not like the smell of sandalwood. That explains her extreme ultimatum in regards to Proraso Red. She even gagged smelling my TOBS sandalwood.
Wow tough crowd, glad the Jelly is treating you well. Club Guy is really nice for the eventual restock, it's a pinaud copy.

Wow tough crowd, glad the Jelly is treating you well. Club Guy is really nice for the eventual restock, it's a pinaud copy.

She likes my Pinaud and I’ve toyed with the idea getting Club Guy in the past. I’ve got over 10 months to come up with my restock list. It’s going to be a very short list to keep with the spirit of the Sabbatical and GRUME. One soap and one aftershave (or jelly). I’ve already decided I won’t let myself get anything if I don’t 3017 at least two soaps.

Edit: In all fairness to my wife. I only wear scents for her so she has a lot of pull in regards to the scents. I’d be perfectly happy with unscented witch hazel.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
She likes my Pinaud and I’ve toyed with the idea getting Club Guy in the past. I’ve got over 10 months to come up with my restock list. It’s going to be a very short list to keep with the spirit of the Sabbatical and GRUME. One soap and one aftershave (or jelly). I’ve already decided I won’t let myself get anything if I don’t 3017 at least two soaps.
It isn't until you have a closet filled with soaps and creams that you realize that it takes a looong time to finish a soap or a cream... and then it's too late, and you realize you shouldn't really buy any more for 12 or 15 years.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: Speick, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #5
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

I think the OC game changer must work best at a slightly different angle than the safety bar, which is why I'm struggling to get consistent results out of it ATG. Either that, or it is not as efficient as it feels.

That wasn't a bad result, just less good than the previous. Maybe I should stick with MWF, to eliminate that variable.

Still in. Pretty sure I can sail through the next 3-4 days without purchases.

I've been using adjustable razors with vintage Wilkinson Blades, and still going with the SV 70th Soap and various Simpsons brushes. It doesn't get much better than that as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom