What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in. Shark SS, Gillette Tech, DR Harris stick, Rooney Pure, and Gabels Bay Rum. Nice face lather shave.

Pure rooney (2).jpeg

Still in

and going well this month. I feel like this is the first month that I was really ready from the Grume. I wanted to be done with acquisitions but my den wasn’t complete yet. Last month I made the final touches and now I’m good. Everything is lined up just how I like it. From here on in it’s strictly buy to replace. Maybe one or the other spare vintage razor if something really special comes up.

44F5A3E5-991E-43CF-8B4D-E65493948DC5.jpeg

Still in.

Fantastic shave today, one of the best I’ve had.

Rating: 9.5+/10
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium SB / Smooth Top Cap
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (1)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” 26mm Silk Smoke
Lather: Murphy and McNeil Barbershop De Los Muertos 2 (Kodiak Base)
Aftershave: Murphy and McNeil Barbershop De Los Muertos 2 Aftershave Splash (Alcohol Free)
Murphy and McNeil Barbershop De Los Muertos 2 Aftershave Balm
Bowl: Timeless Lather Bowl

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG), no touch ups

+ BBS!
+ No cuts, weepers, irritation, redness or bumps / ingrowns
~ Minor feedback with alum on chin, none anywhere else
- On ATG pass, tugged on chin and goatee area

My first time using a Kai blade, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had heard it was slightly wider then others and allegedly the second sharpest blade behind Feather. I took my time and found it cut through my 4 days growth fairly easy on the first 2 passes. It did good on the ATG pass except for my goatee area, it tugged quite a bit. My goatee area is really coarse hairs and get tugging on blades that aren’t overly sharp. I don’t get any tugging with my favourite blades (Perma-Sharp, GSB and Rubie), so I’ll be interested if it feels slightly sharper after the first shave like most other blades and the tugging goes away. If it didn’t tug, this could be a top blade for me. Was expecting some irritation and there was none!

My first time using my Grizzly Bay brush with Silk Smoke knot and it was fantastic. I enjoy this knot way more then my other synthetic, a Yaqi Tuxedo. The Silk Smoke has more backbone, the backbone and shape (fan / flat top) worked fantastic for bowl lathering, whipped up a thick lather in way less time then the tuxedo. On my face, it wasn’t able to splay very easy, probably due to the backbone and 48mm loft (around 50mm was suggested by AP Shave Co) but I wasn’t looking to do circular motions or scrubbing with this brush. This knot feels incredibly soft on my face, softest tips I have I think and works great for painting on the lather. Very happy with it.

Timeless Razor worked great. This is my fourth shave with it, I think I’m starting to figure it out. My first shave with the OC was amazing then the last two (OC and SC) were good but had irritation on my neck and lots of feedback with alum, so think I was putting too much pressure on it. This was the first time using the safety bar as well as smooth cap. The SB had almost no blade feel, unlike the OC which had very noticeable blade feel. I used a steeper angle today and it worked really good. I also made a conscious effort to not to put any added pressure on the razor. Had one of my best shaves ever and no irritation at all!

Feb 19, Still in

IMG-2021.jpg

Razor: Matador Bakelit
Blade: Schick Super Stainless (18)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: Lea Stick
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Had low expectations of todays shave since I usually don't get close shaves with this razor.
Well maybe it just needed an older blade:001_smile.
First pass started out a bit tuggy but got smoother during the shave.
Final result was very good. Close shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

Well gentlemen, my haul from last year's purchase came to me by piggyback in the friend's luggage.

I just ordered the soaps which fancied my interest going by Alphabetical order.

I personally don't mind a softer, floral scent in my shaving products, so let's hope that my skin don't have any affliction to the soaps.

I might have wandered to the extremes of what is perceived as manly scent and what is not :tongue_sm

IMG_20210219_142012.jpg

Still in

RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (2)
Williams mug soap
RazoRock Beehive 28 mm
Anherb ASC

Great shave and to think that I almost missed it.
I was feeling lazy in heating the water for brush and razor rinsing, so instead I went ahead and brought up my synthetic brush and had a complete cold water shave.

It was a very crisp shave.

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_224309.jpg
    IMG_20210219_224309.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 1
Still in. SOTD - 19 FEB 2021

SOTD 02192021.jpg

Solid shave today. Soap was slick and the brush felt soft/plushy. R41 w/ Bic Chrome (3) shaved well until ATG, where it started to tug a bit. Chased the BBS so got a little irritation on the chin. I still enjoyed the shave so it was worth it, haha.

Still trying to get in my shave-per-day, and it's still not working. Had a nice shave today, though, and it looks like the MoG is nearly done.

SOTD
  • Slim (4)
  • Nacet (20)
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
After the first face-lather:
SOTD_021921_1.jpg

The end is nigh (and you can see some of the layers):
SOTD_021921_2.jpg

Last edited:
Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: Speick, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R3, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

A low-effort Friday shave. R3 hardly feels like it is doing anything at all, but the stubble still disappears. Got an irritation-free DFS.

Who cares? Buy what you like, use what you like, and F the people who want to put their version of "masculine" on you.
Thank you for your reassurance, my thoughts exactly, when I purchased them.

Afterall, shaving soaps are the only time I get to enjoy soft scents, and I'm glad I went ahead with the purchase.

Added bonus, I don't see many SOTD with these soaps, so atleast they'll be a new addition :biggrin1: to the vast variety of B&B.

Still in
Pre shave: T&H pre shave oil
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4)
Blade: Wizamet SI (2)
Brush: Omega Pure Badger
Soap: Speick shave stick
Post shave: Alum block
DRH Windsor AS splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

First time using Speick and must admit impressed. Nice lather and good slickness provided a good BBS shave. Did get a couple of tiny weepers but hay BBS made up for that. Speick & La Toja perfect for my travel set up 😎😎😎😎

Top Bottom