What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Wednesday Feb 17

Razor: Fatip lo Storto OC
Blade: Schick Super Stainless
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 24mm
Soap: La Toja

Still in

IMG-2001.jpg

Still in

Used the same setup as Sunday only subbed in some Star Jelly for the Nivea Balm. I'm still really on the fence with the Star Jelly. I was totally caught off guard by the fact that it is mentholated but it feels great on my skin. Just not a huge fan of the scent. It definitely does not match the soap and AS.

Razor: WCS Toothsome head on a WCS stainless handle
Blade: Kai (5)
Brush: 26mm Maggard Black and White Synthetic
Soap: A&E Spartacus
AS Balm: PAA Star Jelly (Doppelganger Gray Label)
AS: A&E Spartacus

I'm out...after last months blade buying binge I think I have caught some serious BAD. I got a notification from the bay with a "you might be interested in" subject. I was interested and ended up buying 15 NOS Personna Double Edge Super Stainless and 15 NOS Personna Platinum (old all white packaging with black lettering).

I then, as was the case last month, decided if I'm out, I might as well be out out...

So I also ended up picking up the following blades (all blades I've never tried before so just a single tuck of each apart from the Sharp Stars which with shipping were only worth it if I bought a decent amount, plus they're rare so figured I might as well):

- 50 Sharp Stars (discontinued Rapira blade)
- 10 Asda Personna
- 5 BIC Astor Stainless
- 5 Gillette Minora Platinum
- 5 Gillette Platinum (Dark Blue packaging)
- 5 Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)
- 11 Gillette Winner Platinum
- 5 Kai Stainless Steel
- 5 Personna Lab Blue
- 5 Personna Med Prep
- 10 Personna Viking's Sword
- 5 Tiger Superior Stainless
- 10 Personna Royal
- 5 Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)
- 5 Lord Platinum
- 5 Lord Super Chrome
- 5 Lord Super Stainless
- 10 Personna Eddison Stainless
- 10 Personna Tomy
- 5 Shark Super Chrome
- 5 Shark Platinum
- 5 Sharp Titanium
- 5 Tatra Platinum
- 5 Loi Titanium
- 5 Super-Max Blue Diamond
- 5 Super-Max Super Platinum
- 5 Rapira Swedish Super Steel
- 10 Satinex 2000 Platinum Plus
- 10 Treet Dura Sharp
- 5 Ladas Super Stainless
- 5 Sputnik
- 5 Rapira Stainless Chrome
- 10 Rapira Super Stainless
- 5 Gillette 365

Good luck to everyone finishing out their GRUME. I'll be back next month to try again!

I'm out...after last months blade buying binge I think I have caught some serious BAD. I got a notification from the bay with a "you might be interested in" subject. I was interested and ended up buying 15 NOS Personna Double Edge Super Stainless and 15 NOS Personna Platinum (old all white packaging with black lettering).

I then, as was the case last month, decided if I'm out, I might as well be out out...

So I also ended up picking up the following blades (all blades I've never tried before so just a single tuck of each apart from the Sharp Stars which with shipping were only worth it if I bought a decent amount, plus they're rare so figured I might as well):

- 10 Asda Personna
- 5 BIC Astor Stainless
- 5 Kai Stainless Steel
- 5 Personna Lab Blue
- 5 Personna Med Prep
- 10 Personna Royal
- 5 Lord Platinum
- 5 Lord Super Chrome
- 5 Lord Super Stainless
- 10 Personna Tomy
- 5 Shark Super Chrome
- 5 Shark Platinum
- 5 Sharp Titanium
- 5 Tatra Platinum
- 5 Loi Titanium
- 10 Treet Dura Sharp
- 5 Sputnik
- 5 Gillette 365

Good luck to everyone finishing out their GRUME. I'll be back next month to try again!

Variety is the spice of life - you definitely have it right.

I'm also getting battered by risk of falling out of the wagon by blades.

Certain wet shaver (not on B&B) who provided me with my 1st and 2nd boar brushes have excess of Voskhod blades, and has offered to sell me some.

Now, I definitely definitely don't need any blades, BUT I'm having a really hard time passing up an opportunity to get the blades (foreign) without hassle of customs duty and waiting.

Whenever I try to behave (responsibly), someone always manages to entice me into guilty pleasures.

Here, I thought I had to watch out for trouble from Soaps and Brushes, didn't think I need to be vigilant about blades as well.

Certain wet shaver (not on B&B) who provided me with my 1st and 2nd boar brushes have excess of Voskhod blades, and has offered to sell me some.

Now, I definitely definitely don't need any blades, BUT I'm having a really hard time passing up an opportunity to get the blades (foreign) without hassle of customs duty and waiting.

Whenever I try to behave (responsibly), someone always manages to entice me into guilty pleasures.

Here, I thought I had to watch out for trouble from Soaps and Brushes, didn't think I need to be vigilant about blades as well.

Do you enjoy using Voshkod blades or haven’t tried them yet?

I've worked out that with my current stock of sample packs, I could try a new blade every week for 1 year and 8 months (and that's just trying them in one of my razors) so I am hoping that will keep me occupied and put my binge buying to rest for a while! The only exception will be if I really like an out of production blade and find them for a good price!

I've worked out that with my current stock of sample packs, I could try a new blade every week for 1 year and 8 months (and that's just trying them in one of my razors) so I am hoping that will keep me occupied and put my binge buying to rest for a while! The only exception will be if I really like an out of production blade and find them for a good price!
Yeah...you made me do the math on my blade stash. If I use one blade per day 365 days per year I have over 16 years worth of blades. I'm currently playing a game to see how long each blade brand will give a comfortable shave so have been stretching them out to two or three weeks for the last 9 months. One blade per week would give me over 113 years worth.

The moral of the story is keep a handle on your BAD unless you don't mind a laundry basket filled with blades stored in your closet.

Yeah...you made me do the math on my blade stash. If I use one blade per day 365 days per year I have over 16 years worth of blades. I'm currently playing a game to see how long each blade brand will give a comfortable shave so have been stretching them out to two or three weeks for the last 9 months. One blade per week would give me over 113 years worth.

The moral of the story is keep a handle on your BAD unless you don't mind a laundry basket filled with blades stored in your closet.
Yeah, if I include all the blades in my den, so tucks with blades I've tried already and blades I have in bulk (so far just 100 BIC Chrome and 200 Israeli Reds), I'll be just over 16 years at a blade a week, but that includes blades I didn't enjoy using in my milder razors. Now that I have my FaTip Gentile/Piccolo I'll re-try the duller and rough to me blades in it and If I still don't like them I'll probably PIF a few unopened tucks. I'd rather someone got some blades to try or blades they like than they sat about my cupboard never to be used again!

- 10 Asda Personna
- 5 BIC Astor Stainless
- 5 Kai Stainless Steel
- 5 Personna Lab Blue
- 5 Personna Med Prep
- 10 Personna Royal
- 5 Lord Platinum
- 5 Lord Super Chrome
- 5 Lord Super Stainless
- 10 Personna Tomy
- 5 Shark Super Chrome
- 5 Shark Platinum
- 5 Sharp Titanium
- 5 Tatra Platinum
- 5 Loi Titanium
- 10 Treet Dura Sharp
- 5 Sputnik
- 5 Gillette 365

:blink:

Wow.

For me, that might be a lifetime of blades. As you go through them, take detailed notes about what you like and what you don't...unless you just want the experience of different blades and you're not trying to find "the one" or even just a few favorites.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (1/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (1/7: PIF entry)
4) @Sinnbad11
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) @Sotiris_A
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (1/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) @Rhody
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) @Chef455
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (1/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) @Cino
32) @Owen Bawn
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

I haven't tried Voskhod blades (or any blades outside of India), that's why I'm feeling enticed.
...leads to...
I have a few tucks of Voshkod, if you aren’t in a hurry, I can mail you some to try in an envelope. It may take a few weeks as it would be coming from Canada. If interested PM me your address and I’ll mail them in the next few days.
Cool. I sent you a bunch of different weird blades. Don’t think I included any Voskhods though. Voskhods are pretty good but nothing earth shattering IMO...
Well played, gents!

:blink:

Wow.

For me, that might be a lifetime of blades. As you go through them, take detailed notes about what you like and what you don't...unless you just want the experience of different blades and you're not trying to find "the one" or even just a few favorites.

Thanks, I have a spreadsheet where I take notes on new blades after each shave (different tabs for different razors) and then rank blades in order of preference. I'll probably buy some 100 packs of favourites and PIF some others.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

- 10 Asda Personna
- 5 BIC Astor Stainless
- 5 Kai Stainless Steel
- 5 Personna Lab Blue
- 5 Personna Med Prep
- 10 Personna Royal
- 5 Lord Platinum
- 5 Lord Super Chrome
- 5 Lord Super Stainless
- 10 Personna Tomy
- 5 Shark Super Chrome
- 5 Shark Platinum
- 5 Sharp Titanium
- 5 Tatra Platinum
- 5 Loi Titanium
- 10 Treet Dura Sharp
- 5 Sputnik
- 5 Gillette 365

That should cure your BAD (at least for a while) looks like you managed to pick up a great selection.

Top Bottom