What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

C966A40C-D4BD-40B0-9AC6-5F92A484E594.jpeg

Still in. This was today’s shave, courtesy of yesterday’s Shave Roulette (today’s called for a straight razor shave for me, no time for that)

The soap is some Old Spice-scented olive oil thing I got from an Etsy seller. The Trafalgar made a very thin disappearing lather with it. Nonetheless the Slim/Spoiler combination did its usual excellent work, never mind the bizarre and unenjoyable face feel. Lucky Tiger felt fine going on. BBS but 3 stars out of 5, I’ve had better shaves.

Still in and still working on Big Bess.

It seems that I have a habit of scarcely (under) loading the brush, it worked till now because I used synthetic and a small boar brush mainly.
I used to have trouble with Omega 10098, and that trouble is happening with Big Bess.
I have to get some quiet afternoon and see how much is adequate for both the brushes.

Just going through the motions, I'm not pleased with my current situation, but hoping to see improvement soon.

Mitchell's Wool Fat in bowl.

IMG_20210209_210949.jpg

It seems that I have a habit of scarcely (under) loading the brush, it worked till now because I used synthetic and a small boar brush mainly.
I used to have trouble with Omega 10098, and that trouble is happening with Big Bess.
I have to get some quiet afternoon and see how much is adequate for both the brushes.
You could deliberately try loading far too much, and see how that works out. Blooming the soap might help.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Astra SP #9, GC.68 SB, Wizamet #5
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a slicker lather with MWF this time. It can use more water than I thought. Trouble-free near-BBS. The new aluminium handle (Windrose RA3, 84mm x 13mm, 24g) makes ATG easier, as I'd hoped.

I'm in. I finished making another straight this month, but no razor making materials were purchased during February.

1) FoolishMortal
2) CzechCzar
3) SharpieB
4) Sinnbad11
5) B_R_A_D
6) Jmp63 - Annual
7) cryhavoc - Annual
8) ‘Bout Time
9) Doti B
10) henrickd - Annual
11) AZBronco
12) Roedeer
13) Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A
15) Abz88
16) hopper_64
17) woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper
19) FL shaver
20) Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) Stuart Ganis
22) Lee93
23) Rhody
24) pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455
26) mattps1 - Annua
27) leverspro
28) wmadoty - Annual - One Blade in February
29) Tomo
30) 4and20blackbirds
31) Cino
32) bluesman 7

Still in and still working on Big Bess.

Just going through the motions, I'm not pleased with my current situation, but hoping to see improvement soon.

Mitchell's Wool Fat in bowl.

View attachment 1220679
It takes a good 10+ shaves to get a Chubby 3 to hit its stride. You have to load it like you are trying to use up a soap you hate. Once you do, it's like shaving in heaven.

Wednesday shave

8548335D-0218-41AA-9C70-F06927107AC9.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Semogue Owners Club badger
Razor: Gem Junior, #1
Blade: Gem PTFE, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver aftershave

For the first shave with the Gem Junior, not too shabby. Initial hot take: overall more comfortable than the MMOC. Two-passes only, no touch-ups led to DFS on my cheeks and the right side of my neck and a CCS on the left. Also CCS just under my nose, which is a first in that I don't usually have a problem getting a blade up there, but I'm going to need to adjust my technique with this head. Some prominent feedback from the alum on my neck, which I attribute to first use of the razor and this particular Gem blade. IIRC, the Gem will smooth out after the next couple of shaves.

With this use of the SV Cubebe I've now officially tried every soap I bought in last year's new-shaver-must-have-all-the-things buying frenzy. Now to start working through them again to see what stays and what goes.

Top Bottom