What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm a huge Grizzly Bay fan! I have 5 or 6. I also really like the fanchurian knot, I have several iterations of it. Which timeless did you pick?

This is my first and I’m very impressed with Grizzly Bay so far! I recently got a Chisel and Hound brush and got the Fanchurian and love it. I decided to try a synthetic in this one as my only other brush is a Yaqi with a Tuxedo, it’s knot is lopsided and I’d like a little more backbone so want to try a different synthetic.

I went with the .95 Titanium masters kit for the Timeless. I spoke with Matt and we decided .95 was likely best for me. Also most people seem to go back to get the other base plate eventually so my wife said get the masters kit. Best wife, I know

SOTD
  • Slim (4)
  • Nacet (12) - OBiF
  • The Mug of Gross
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Lathering with the Yaqi synth feels like cheating. The MoG lather hasn't felt great lately as I get down to the end, so I figured I would use the most foolproof brush I have, and I wasn't disappointed. Lots of "soap" and lots of water gave me a thick-yet-slick lather that worked a treat (not a Treet - that's different).

Onward!

Last edited:
SOTD - 04 FEB 2021

SOTD 02042021.jpg

Great shave today. Fatip Slant is shaving nicely and I'm enjoying the extra efficiency. Haslinger left me wanting a bit more in that post-shave department but it got the job done regardless. Comfortable BBS result.

Still in. I was a little shakey today with a good looking brush but closed up that thought. Onward indeed.

Thursday shave

78CC13CC-140D-4119-B8CE-A538BACBADA0.jpeg

Prep: The Body Shop sugar scrub
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush: Ever-Ready F-40 boar
Razor: iKon X3 slant on bulldog handle, #9
Blade: Gillette Nacet, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

New to me blade and the result: back to a two-pass DFS, no irritation. Was glad to move on from the Wizamet. First use of the Spitfire and it was fantastic--an amazing scent, excellent cushion, and, after I addded a bit more water before the second pass, plenty slick.

I will have finally run through the last of my untried soaps within a week. Plenty of razors yet to try.

Still in
Really interesting shave tonight, I cut myself. The first time I've done so in recent memory, and with a razor I wasn't sure it was possible to do so with. Still, after a bit of Alum I continued to very very fine outcome. Sans the one mishap very comfortable and very, very, close dfs+ tonight.
0204211950b~2.jpg

Thursday shave

View attachment 1218264

New to me blade and the result: back to a two-pass DFS, no irritation. Was glad to move on from the Wizamet. First use of the Spitfire and it was fantastic--an amazing scent, excellent cushion, and, after I addded a bit more water before the second pass, plenty slick.

I will have finally run through the last of my untried soaps within a week. Plenty of razors yet to try.
That Spitfire sounds like a scent that's right up my alley, but I'll have to dream about it - I have plenty of soaps to get through yet!

Nacet is my go-to blade. I don't have any reason to use anything else, though 7OC Green is an acceptable stand-in. Let us know how you get on with it!

Still in. Had a hard time choosing a razor in my early morning fog, but the beauty of copper made the choice.

I do admire copper razors (and copper stuff in general), but so far, I have resisted the impulse to look CG up.

Still In.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Palmolive, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 SB, Astra SP #6, GC.68 SB, Wizamet #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Easy DFS, but maybe the open comb .84 was better after all. On the other hand, the audio feedback wasn't so good...

Thursday shave

View attachment 1218264

Spitfire looks interesting 🤔 to me.
I may have to try this.
I’m about to 3017 Cella.

Still in, third shave with this blade, a close enough shave but I still find it lacking in sharpness for this razor compared to my go to BIC Chrome Platinum's.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refinish Facial Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-Shave Oil
- Cella Bio (tub)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Cooling Post-Shave Water Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Still here for day five.
Really enjoying trading! It's a great sport. Today I received a Timeless Slim Ti baseplate in the mail that I traded for. Tomorrow I'm starting some CC Nor'Easter soap that I also traded for. Normally I would not think twice about ordering them. But someone with a copper ATT baseplate needs to trade me for it (BST) or I might be two for three when it comes to trades saving a purchase.
Today's shave was from rummaging through a travel bag.
Imagepipe_8.jpg

Still here for day five.
Really enjoying trading! It's a great sport. Today I received a Timeless Slim Ti baseplate in the mail that I traded for. Tomorrow I'm starting some CC Nor'Easter soap that I also traded for. Normally I would not think twice about ordering them. But someone with a copper ATT baseplate needs to trade me for it (BST) or I might be two for three when it comes to trades saving a purchase.
Today's shave was from rummaging through a travel bag.
View attachment 1218755

I’m glad you are having good luck with trades! I’m impatiently waiting for my 45 days to be up so I can post a for trade thread

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4, German Wilkinson #5
Post-shave: Blue Stratos AS, Nivea Balm.

An easy DFS, using the Rockwell on autopilot. The Wilkinson is not a top tier blade for me, though. Currently, Astra SP and Wizamet SI are tied for first place.

Still in. SOTD - 05 FEB 2021

SOTD 02052021.jpg

Good shave. Brush and soap lathered easily but the razor felt a bit rough even with a fresh blade of Astra SP. I think the geometry of the head and blade gap makes it for a slightly uncomfortable shave. The result was fine but the shaving process is a bit off. Wrapped up with the mild witch hazel. Result was a BBS with no irritations.

Top Bottom