What's new

Feb 2021 Acquisitions!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Finally broke down and got a pipe ashtray. Have to admit it looks better than the clay pot saucer now residing in my bedroom.
9D85EE70-18B8-4540-9038-90604A1C2BAC.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If it turns out to be so, hug and kiss him, and shower him with business.

Once they shutter, they rarely come back.

We actually have it not too bad here in the US, but I wish I didn’t have to rely on UPS and USPS to get it home.
I doubt I’ll leave with empty hands. I’ll likely continue mail order though. I don’t enjoy driving like I used to - unless the shop blows my socks off. I’ll report back in any case. There is at least one member close by.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
‘Codger‘ blends are those old American classics that once roamed the drug, grocery, newsstand and tobacco stores and stands like massive herds of buffalo. Also called OTCs and drugstore brands. Once available everywhere, and smoked by most. Primarily burley and burley virginia based, they are lightly cased, and very lightly (if at all) topped. Straight honest basic smoking tobacco.

We are talking about daily tobaccos, ones you can smoke all day long, every day. Prince Albert, Sir Walter, Carter Hall, Half and Half, and a few others. Standards spanning centuries and generations. Inexpensive, but not necessarily cheap. All of which are or were smoked by older pipers, and/or usually remembered as a father’s or retired grandfather’s preferred aroma du jour.

The best analogy probably would be that these are Maxwell House and Folgers and Chock Full O’Nuts to the expensive french press grades of coffee. Every coffee lover relishes a top end french press brew. But no one drinks them all day long. It would be far too much. These easy mild blends you do. And everyone did. I still do.

EGR sits on the outskirts of that reservation, along with others such as Number 79, but not as close to the herd as Sir Walter Aromatic. Fairly available, and well-smoked by the masses back in the day. But EGR is a little unique due to its ingredients. In the case of EGR, as you noted, it has an undernote of red wine (or grape juice, depending on the disposition of the smoker).

Tobacco snobs often look down on the codgers. They don’t come in tins from England, present endless nuances of perceived flavor landscapes to explore and share with other tobaccophiles, or are backed by glowing magazine interviews of their blend creators. They don’t undergo transformative metamorphosis into a tobacconated fantasy fling after storage. The original blend artists are long dead. And so are the majority of people who have smoked them.

You’re not hanging out with Gina Lollobrigida smoking a codger; you’re sitting at the bar with Gino Marchetti.

But those who have piped for a long time, and/or have been round the tobacco block a few times, know better ... and just quietly smile.
Well, I’m still alive after 50 years of piping but I had the misfortune of beginning as a tobacco snob. Only tobacco shop fare for me. Only fifteen years or so ago did I “discover” the joy and pleasure derived from codger blends and now I smoke the few remaining OTC’s and Matches of out of production OTC’s and miscellaneous bulk almost exclusively. Im sure I’ll pick up a tin here and there out of curiosity (and Golden Slices because I love the stuff) but it is codger for the most part. Why? Because they are wonderful. Love those tubs!

Finally broke down and ordered a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh and one of Half & Half. Price figured into it, true; the Edward G. Robinson blend, which I considered and may try eventually, is pretty pricey for the amount you get. But I liked the descriptions of the two classic blends' aromas and smoking experiences, both here and on Smokingpipes. And the idea of smoking the kind of stuff that was readily available at the corner store when men wore suits and fedoras every day and women were still womanly appeals strongly to me.

There's a Savinelli Oscar Tiger bulldog there that is barking out my name too; but I already have plenty of great pipes. (For now, anyway. If a special occasion comes up, well . . .)

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Finally broke down and ordered a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh and one of Half & Half. Price figured into it, true; the Edward G. Robinson blend, which I considered and may try eventually, is pretty pricey for the amount you get. But I liked the descriptions of the two classic blends' aromas and smoking experiences, both here and on Smokingpipes. And the idea of smoking the kind of stuff that was readily available at the corner store when men wore suits and fedoras every day and women were still womanly appeals strongly to me.

There's a Savinelli Oscar Tiger bulldog there that is barking out my name too; but I already have plenty of great pipes. (For now, anyway. If a special occasion comes up, well . . .)

At the risk of preaching, just one suggestion for someone accustomed to aromatics sampling their first American OTCs. The latter are extremely Burley forward, and are best ‘sipped’. The flavor profiles are simple, but delicate and quickly lost if overheated (from overdrawing). They may not bite you, but it is the number one reason they get disparaged as “tasteless”, “hot air” or “ashy” tasting by smokers not used to them.

Aromatic smokers in particular seem to fall into this trap with them. I suspect it is because they are expecting the stronger flavor rush of an aromatic, start hunting for it, and quickly overheat the bowl. And I want you to have a great experience with them. We codgers try and stick together.

If you draw SWR gently, it should politely yield a nutty sweetness. Don’t look or hunt for it, just let it come out when it’s ready to. That’s often about 1/4 of the bowl down. SWR is on the sweeter side of PA, and a great OTC. Its cube cut is practically bulletproof. H&H is a slightly more complicated than SWR, but should similarly reveal its unique flavor if gently sipped.

At the risk of preaching, just one suggestion for someone accustomed to aromatics sampling their first American OTCs. The latter are extremely Burley forward, and are best ‘sipped’. The flavor profiles are simple, but delicate and quickly lost if overheated (from overdrawing). They may not bite you, but it is the number one reason they get disparaged as “tasteless”, “hot air” or “ashy” tasting by smokers not used to them.

Aromatic smokers in particular seem to fall into this trap with them. I suspect it is because they are expecting the stronger flavor rush of an aromatic, start hunting for it, and quickly overheat the bowl. And I want you to have a great experience with them. We codgers try and stick together.

If you draw SWR gently, it should politely yield a nutty sweetness. Don’t look or hunt for it, just let it come out when it’s ready to. That’s often about 1/4 of the bowl down. SWR is on the sweeter side of PA, and a great OTC. Its cube cut is practically bulletproof. H&H is a slightly more complicated than SWR, but should similarly reveal its unique flavor if gently sipped.
I've never been a rush-to-finish sort of pipe smoker; I shouldn't have too much trouble. If I think of it, I may mix a little of the chocolate-maple I've been smoking or the Tinder Box VLB in with the new stuff.

20210213_144550.jpg

The mail man brought me this today. An early American Smoking Pipe Co. Canadian carved by Mark Tinsky's partner Curt Rollar. I'm guessing the stamping means it was carved in 1986, but I could be wrong on that. I've been wanting one of Curt's pipes for years, and I finally got it in one of my favorite shapes and great condition too.

View attachment 1222589

The mail man brought me this today. An early American Smoking Pipe Co. Canadian carved by Mark Tinsky's partner Curt Rollar. I'm guessing the stamping means it was carved in 1986, but I could be wrong on that. I've been wanting one of Curt's pipes for years, and I finally got it in one of my favorite shapes and great condition too.
Too beautiful to actually smoke . . . but that would be a shame too. Even when I wasn't smoking, I'd think back on my small pipe collection and reflect just how good-looking they are, elegant sculptures in wood and vulcanite or acrylic, some with metal like my Peterson or your Canadian.

View attachment 1222589

You are correct on it being 1986. I have a CR half rusticated literally half of it, Bulldog by him. There are pictures in a BST post from a while back 🤣.

Top Bottom