What's new

Featherweight kicked this heavyweight's butt.

I thought I was pretty clear but let's try again...the Push Button was released in late 1958, as was the Fatboy. The Feather Weight was no longer being produced by late '58 so they would not have been on the shelves with Fatboys except as old stock/close outs. The PAL Injectomatic (introduced '56) and Star 100 DE (all ASR products) may also have been on display at Rexall and perhaps also at Marshall Fields. My thoughts. Thank you.

Yes you are right, however when the
Fatboy was released and on the shelves in
All the Rexall stores, the latest models
For Gem was the Fether Weight and
The Push Button , Now maybe you can tell
Us what else would Gem have on display
In the retail stores as their latest model
At the time when the Fatboy was on
Display not only in The Rexall stores but
Also in Marshall Fields.
Your Thoughts Please.

Last edited:
I value the appearance of razors. You can tell a lot from the appearance. I actually prefer the appearance of the push button to the featherweight. The razor being comfortable in the hand is another factor that could lead to someone purchasing a razor and, for me, the pushbutton wins by a landslide. I'm left wondering if the previous razors, lather catchers and micromatics, were looked at as heavy so the featherweight was created to satisfy the people wanting a lightweight razor.

I thought I was pretty clear but let's try again...the Push Button was released in 1958, as was the Fatboy,. The Feather Weight was no longer being produced by late '58 so they would not have been on the shelves with Fatboys except as old stock/close outs. My thoughts. Thank you.
Yea but they were on the shelves
Right there with the Push Button and
To make sense of it we can look at the
Number of sealed NOS Feather Weights
Sold on EBay in the last 6 Months alone.

I've made sense of it to my satisfaction. I said if they were on shelves after 58 it was as old stock or close outs. I think we've covered this sufficiently really.
Yea but they were on the shelves
Right there with the Push Button and
To make sense of it we can look at the
Number of sealed NOS Feather Weights
Sold on EBay in the last 6 Months alone.

I said if they were on shelves after 58 it was as old stock or close outs. I think we've covered this sufficiently really.
So you are not open for conversation
Kool , I'm pretty much used to closed
Minds.
But please notice that Gillette still have
Mach 3 cartridges on the shelves

So have you tried it again yet ?
I did try it again with much success. It is a very different feel from my other single edge razors. I think the mistake that I made was going from a DE with some weight to the featherweight that is light and seems to need close attention to angle and pressure. I used a travel GEM for a week before the Featherweight and found this
transition to be much smoother. The light weight is a very different feel but watching angle and pressure resulted in a great shave . It is back on the good list. It is very much the lightest razor that I own but it is a welcome addition.

I did try it again with much success. It is a very different feel from my other single edge razors. I think the mistake that I made was going from a DE with some weight to the featherweight that is light and seems to need close attention to angle and pressure. I used a travel GEM for a week before the Featherweight and found this
transition to be much smoother. The light weight is a very different feel but watching angle and pressure resulted in a great shave . It is back on the good list. It is very much the lightest razor that I own but it is a welcome addition.
I'm always happy to hear success stories
Like yours , and may you enjoy many
Shaves with the Fether Weight.

I have 6 single edge razors that I really enjoy. Once I got the feel of the Featherweight, I found that I get a nice shave with no feedback from the alum block. I have found that when a razor doesn't work for me, the best approach is to put it away and start fresh another time. Most of the time the issue is the gunner and not the gun!

Top Bottom