What's new

Feathers & Me are good again

My first tryst with Feather ended in a bloody mess a few years ago.
I used to stick them in any razor...EJ89, Muhle 41, Ikon DLC, Fatboys
and Slims cranked up to 9 etc.

After reading that they pair up better with mild razors...and I dont like mild razors...I thought
I'd try Feathers again.

But before I commit I'm going to try the two types that are available and find out
what's what.

Ive seen them in Yellow and Grey/Black packs wondering what the differences are.
A shop that sells them near me told me the yellow ones have 10 blades in each tuck while the Grey/Black ones have 5. But he claimed both are exactly the same blade.

I picked up a yellow tuck and he even had a special grey/black tuck which also had 10 blades.

RIMG0864.JPG
RIMG0865.JPG

I pulled out one from the grey/black pack and stuck in my most infuriatingly mild
razor....a lovely Aristocrat #66. Wow....this thing shaved me cleaner than my Charcoal Goods lvl 2, blackbird and uk red tip superspeed. And no nicks, weepers at all. Now I do not have any urges to fling my #66 against a wall.

So, did the mild razor tame the Feather, or did the Feather elevate what was a pretty humdrum razor for me?

I have to say BOTH!

Im going to be comparing Feathers from both these packs before getting a 100. I'll be using them in all my mild razors from now...NEW, 2-piece RFB #77....hell I might even chuck it in a
Charcoal Goods Level 2 if Im feeling brave enough.

After reading that they pair up better with mild razors...and I dont like mild razors...I thought
I'd try Feathers again.

But before I commit I'm going to try the two types that are available and find out
what's what.

Ive seen them in Yellow and Grey/Black packs wondering what the differences are.
A shop that sells them near me told me the yellow ones have 10 blades in each tuck while the Grey/Black ones have 5. But he claimed both are exactly the same blade.

I picked up a yellow tuck and he even had a special grey/black tuck which also had 10 blades.

View attachment 960148 View attachment 960149

I pulled out one from the grey/black pack and stuck in my most infuriatingly mild
razor....a lovely Aristocrat #66. Wow....this thing shaved me cleaner than my Charcoal Goods lvl 2, blackbird and uk red tip superspeed. And no nicks, weepers at all. Now I do not have any urges to fling my #66 against a wall.

So, did the mild razor tame the Feather, or did the Feather elevate what was a pretty humdrum razor for me?

I have to say BOTH!

Im going to be comparing Feathers from both these packs before getting a 100. I'll be using them in all my mild razors from now...NEW, 2-piece RFB #77....hell I might even chuck it in a

That's really interesting. I bought a 100 Feather blades for my Feather AS-D2 and they were a great fit. I have since sold the AS-D2 and have not reached for a Feather blade since. I have a few razors I will now have to give a run with the Feather blades. Thanks for sharing.

Good man!! Congrats on revisiting hardware that performed poorly in the past.

My experience is similar:
1. I need to find the optimal blade/blades for any razor.
2. Mild/moderate razor plus a sharp blade is often a winner for me also!

:a29::a29:

Now I do not have any urges to fling my #66 against a wall

After reading this I have to get some feathers to put in my #66. The part that troubles me is your urge to fling a #66 against the wall. If that ever reoccurs please stop in time, put down the razor and find a substitute item to trow against that can't wall. Next find a new home for the #66. OK?

I should have discovered this Feather trick earlier....it may've prevented me from parting
with some really minty razors that struck me as mild:

President/Diplomat/Aristocrat USA 1948-50

My experience with Feathers is they will elevate a razor's efficiency up a notch; unfortunately, they also up the aggression a notch. Which matters little to me, since I love Feathers!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have only used a Feather Blade once, I survived and I used it for nearly two weeks. I was too scared to use one for a long time as I had read all the reviews of bloodbaths etc. It is good to re-visit something that you struggled with or have not used for a while. I am glad that all is good with you and Feathers.

My Timeless Bronze SB with a Feather blade ..... shaving nirvana !
Smooth, comfortable, no irritation, BBS perfection. Every shave.

I'd try Feathers again.

what's what.

View attachment 960148 View attachment 960149

I have to say BOTH!

Sorry but I thought it was known that a super sharp blade would be tamed by an mild razor and like wise for a smooth razor in an aggressive razor... Not trying to be mean but emmm you learn something new everyday :em2300: heh heh heh!

I should have discovered this Feather trick earlier....it may've prevented me from parting
with some really minty razors that struck me as mild:

President/Diplomat/Aristocrat USA 1948-50

Ah yah yah those are great razors slaps forehead if you ever want to sell some razors pls pm me first lol!

I love nacets and feathers in my Parat and my English Tech. I would use astras in my karve n gc.

Last edited:
Sorry but I thought it was known that a super sharp blade would be tamed by an mild razor and like wise for a smooth razor in an aggressive razor... Not trying to be mean but emmm you learn something new everyday

Ah yah yah those are great razors slaps forehead if you ever want to sell some razors pls pm me first lol!

Thats not mean at all....I guess Im a late adopter hehe. I think my bad experience with the Feathers initially might have been down to careless technique and too much pressure as well. This time I used a very light touch....and I guess after 3-4 uses, the Feather can even be put in a slightly aggressive razor...lets see.

Have a look at my thread here and if you see something you like, holler.

FS - Simpson M6 Manchurian Badger, Wiborg White Badger, Rare UK Gillette Razor Sets & More

Thats not mean at all....I guess Im a late adopter hehe. I think my bad experience with the Feathers initially might have been down to careless technique and too much pressure as well. This time I used a very light touch....and I guess after 3-4 uses, the Feather can even be put in a slightly aggressive razor...lets see.

Have a look at my thread here and if you see something you like, holler.

FS - Simpson M6 Manchurian Badger, Wiborg White Badger, Rare UK Gillette Razor Sets & More

I love feathers and nacets but they aren't for every razor.

A lot of guys love astras because it's so comfy. Under an electron microscope the edge of a feather looks really jagged.

Thanks Tester28,
I love the stuff you got for sale alas its a bit too rich for me now... Sob.

3rd use of Feather....chucked it in my CG Lvl 2 and got an amazingly efficient and smooth shave....no hair was left behind. I dont think I'll use the same blade again.

Black wrapper was good...now on to yellow wrapper

Good to hear. 30 years of shaving and I still can’t use one. I get great results but the irritation and ingrown hairs just aren’t worth it to me.

Chucked a brand new feather from the yellow pack in a gleaming NOS RFB Aristocrat #77
This is an exceptionally smooth razor that also manages to be super efficient. I was dreading the
Feather might misbehave but the razor tamed it nicely. Got a high level super smooth glass like shave.

So far Im liking the yellow pack a tad more than the black/grey...but it could be the mind playing tricks...
Ive heard both are identical.

Chucked a brand new feather from the yellow pack in a gleaming NOS RFB Aristocrat #77
This is an exceptionally smooth razor that also manages to be super efficient. I was dreading the
Feather might misbehave but the razor tamed it nicely. Got a high level super smooth glass like shave.

So far Im liking the yellow pack a tad more than the black/grey...but it could be the mind playing tricks...

That's great to hear Tester28!

I wouldn't call them the smoothest as under an electron microscope the edges are somewhat jagged but they do shave exceedingly well. I have a feather going on its 20 shaves in a Parat!

Glad to hear you and Feather are getting along so well.
And, yes, the yellow and black wrappers are the same blade. Enjoy !

Top Bottom