What's new

Feather!

This morning I shoved a feather blade into my Muhle R89 Twist, I've had them for ages but was never quite brave enough to put one in my Dark Stag folding Kamisori. I could barely feel the blade as it scythed through 2/12 days coarse growth! Three passes and bbs finish, even my problem under jawline area was no bother. Barely a sign of irritation anywhere! Very impressive. I've decided that I really do need a sharp blade with my whiskers! This is staying in the razor until it's blunt! 😂

Being aware of their reputation, it took a few months for me to have the courage to work my way to the feather in my sample pack. I had a similar experience. Treat is with respect, like all blades, and it will give a great shave. My college age son, on the other hand, went straight to the feather in his Merkur 34C and will not use any other blade.

The first blade I ever tried was a Derby. I did one pass with it, tossed it, and loaded up a feather. That was when I feel in love with wet shaving.

The first blade I ever tried was a Derby. I did one pass with it, tossed it, and loaded up a feather. That was when I feel in love with wet shaving.
Those Derby blades are essentially unusable for anyone with stiff bristles. I did similar after the first use. They get used for craft work now.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I like Feather blades in my Tech’s or in my Merkur 34C/G’s. They give me really good shaves but I still have to respect the blade.

I'm thinking of giving Feathers another shot. I haven't really used them since early in my wetshaving career, some 10-ish years ago, when I loved the sharpness but thought they were too rough, and since I've been shaving with Super Iridiums (aka Polsilvers) and loving them. But now that the SIs are out of production and I've only got about five years worth of blades left, I'm starting to think about the future and other sharp, high-quality blades there are out there. I'm curious if my better technique at this point can compensate for the roughness that turned me off Feathers 10 years ago.​

I'm thinking of giving Feathers another shot. I haven't really used them since early in my wetshaving career, some 10-ish years ago, when I loved the sharpness but thought they were too rough, and since I've been shaving with Super Iridiums (aka Polsilvers) and loving them. But now that the SIs are out of production and I've only got about five years worth of blades left, I'm starting to think about the future and other sharp, high-quality blades there are out there. I'm curious if my better technique at this point can compensate for the roughness that turned me off Feathers 10 years ago.​
Or maybe just order some Wizamet SIs. I’m not sure if they are exactly the same as Polsilvers, but they seem to be very close.

feather is the only blade I use, been this way for some years now. I would rather change the razor than the blade when I need to modify to compensate for something (lack of sleep for example).

I always read it here but dismissed it, I’ll repeat it again:

Mild razor / sharp blade

That’s about it!
I usually keep to this, with a Feather in my Techs and in the '53 Super Speed. However, I loaded one into my Fatip Open Comb Slant on March 1, and am continuing to use it with very good results.

Personna Reds and the Lab Blues also work as well for me as the Feathers. Once my 2 packs of Derby Premiums are gone, I plan to re-order and use only those 3.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I must try Personna Reds in my ASD2. I have used a number of blades but I have ended up going back to Feather blades.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
There are good blades that work pretty well for most people and there are bad blades that really only exist to serve the most economically deprived (hence they won’t be going away just because we don’t like them). Then there are great blades, Feather is a great blade.

As others have pointed out, there are other top shelf blades that might stand next to Feather, but I choose Feather as my go to blade. I buy them in lots of 100 and use them exclusively.

When you find your “go to” blade, you’ll wonder why everyone doesn’t just agree that these are number one and all the others should go away. Fortunately for us, that competition keeps our beloved Feathers (or your favorite) out front, giving us wonderful shaves.

I'm excited to revisit a Feather in my new vintage 65 Super Speed. I am finding I like the sharper of my favorite blades with this razor, maybe a Feather will be pure magic, we'll see!

Top Bottom