What's new

Feather v. Personna Med/Lab

Used the Lab again today in my Slant. Blade on it's 4th shave. The last time I went 5 shaves with the Lab but this time I'm going to pull it after the 4th.

I got a BBS shave but one minor weeper and I had to work noticably harded to get the results I look for. I also had slightly more afterhave sting than I did yesterday on the 3rd shave.

I'm going back to the Feather tomorrow and I'll try to go through the weekend with 3 shaves on the blade.

These shaves with the Lab have been GREAT but I still think my BEST shave was one I got with a fresh Feather.

Funny how blades vary depending upon the user. If I get more than 2 shaves from a Feather I consider myself lucky. If I get fewer than 4 shaves with a Personna Med or Lab blade I think that blade was defective!

I went with a Fresh Feather in my 37c Slant today after (4) shaves with the Personna Lab in the same razor.

I gotta say the Feather is a superior blade to the Lab on it's first shave. Sharper AND less irritation. I got a bloodless, BBS shave, with VERY minimal sting/burn when my Clubman AS was applied.

I'm going to keep the Feather in for (2) more shaves over the weekend. Historically I have dumped the blade after it's second shave but my last cycle with the Feather I rode it to 3 shaves.

I like both of these blades to be honest in any of my razors, but if i had to choose just one out of the two, I would choose the feather not because it is better but just because.

I'm starting to lose enthusiasm for the Lab. I was intending to ride a Feather in my Slant for 3 shaves but after the 2nd shave I noticed the loss of sharpness/smoothness and decided to pull it and go back to the Lab. The Lab requires me to reshave areas of my face too much to get the same results I get from the Feather. This morning this resulted in the first nick I've had for serveral days (maybe weeks). The burn/sting from my Clubman AS was also more intense than on the 1st or 2nd shave from the Feather blade.

I don't think the Lab is a BAD blade, I just don't think it can give me the stubble removal OR smoothness as a fresh Feather or a Feather on it's 2nd shave. I got a excellent BBS shave with the Lab this morning so I'm kind of splitting hairs so to speak. Maybe like comparing a Ferrari to a Maserati.

I think that my initial excitement on the Lab was because it was a lot more forgiving in my Slant with which I still had pretty poor technique.

The other B&B thread currently running on Lab vs. Med prep has me interested to see if the Med IS the same or superior to the Lab. A few posters have popped up that are convinced that the Med is a far smoother blade. I'll proable buy a small quantity to check them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, the Meds start as the same as the Labs. However, they go trough additional cleaning and sterilizing steps, which have the side effect of removing any burrs, if any present, making the average Meds smoother than the average Labs.

The Feather's edges, because of their final manufacturing process, are exempt of any burrs and sharper than any other DE blade on the market, therefore less forgiving of poor technique.

From what I understand, the Meds start as the same as the Labs. However, they go trough additional cleaning and sterilizing steps, which have the side effect of removing any burrs, if any present, making the average Meds smoother than the average Labs.

The Feather's edges, because of their final manufacturing process, are exempt of any burrs and sharper than any other DE blade on the market, therefore less forgiving of poor technique.

I found some microscopic pictures of several blades including the Feather on another forum. The poster of the photos pointed out that the way the Feather is ground/honed is truly unique and produces an edge that is the sharpest available BUT like many/most posters here point out, that edge is short lived. This is EXACTLY my experience. Nothing I've tried mows down stubble like a fresh Feather and - now that my technique is stable - nothing matches a fresh Feather for an irritation free shave. But even the 2nd shave on the Feather is less satisfying. I've gone 3 shaves once but normally dispose of it after the 2nd shave.

Before I figured out how to shave with the Feather in my Slant, I bought some Personna Labs which I initially thought would knock the Feather out of my rotation but now that my technique is better, the Lab is in 2nd place.

I am trading some Feathers for Meds to see if I can tell any difference in how the Lab and the Med - that many insist are indistinguishable - compare.

Great thread and discussion. I have gotten some really good shaves with a Feather, but find it overall too harsh to use on a daily basis with good technique. The Med Preps, on the other hand, work incredibly well as a daily blade.

In a perfect world I'll take the 2nd shave of a Feather and toss it after the 3rd. Since I try to balance performance with frugality I find the Meds a great sharp/smooth blade. Great out of the wrapper and good for at least 4 shaves and a 5th is not out of the question.

Went with a fresh Lab today in my Slant following (2) Feather shaves the previous 2 days. Conclusion: the 2nd day Feather shave is superior to the fresh Lab. In attempting to get the same quality shave that I get with the Feather, I just have to go over my face too much with the Lab and although I do get NEARLY the same quality of BBS results with the Lab, it comes with more irritation. Not a lobster red face or anything but my Clubman splash stings quite a bit after the Lab shave.

I'm waiting for some Personna Meds to arrive to see if I can tell any difference between the Meds and Labs. Some say no. Some say DEFINITELY.

I really wanted the Labs to be better since they are less costly than the Feathers and the "Lab" branding made it sound like I was using a product designed for super precision and more part of the cliquey shaving mystique.

Med Preps/Labs and Feathers are my two top blades, although Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellows) are not far behind. The Med Preps/Labs are hard to beat, IMO. If you find something better, I'd be curious to know what it is.
Hi,
I was reading your post about person a med . I orders some blade to test .
I like Kai blades . Is personna similar ?
Thank you

Went with a fresh Lab today in my Slant following (2) Feather shaves the previous 2 days. Conclusion: the 2nd day Feather shave is superior to the fresh Lab. In attempting to get the same quality shave that I get with the Feather, I just have to go over my face too much with the Lab and although I do get NEARLY the same quality of BBS results with the Lab, it comes with more irritation. Not a lobster red face or anything but my Clubman splash stings quite a bit after the Lab shave.

I'm waiting for some Personna Meds to arrive to see if I can tell any difference between the Meds and Labs. Some say no. Some say DEFINITELY.

I really wanted the Labs to be better since they are less costly than the Feathers and the "Lab" branding made it sound like I was using a product designed for super precision and more part of the cliquey shaving mystique.

For me, the Labs require a shave or two to settle in. This is related to the thick coating that has to wear away. They really improve then go for a long time! (I find little/no difference between Labs and Med Preps.)

In contrast, Feathers deteriorate rapidly after the first two shaves.

So, a ’fair’ comparison would be to rate a week or 10 days of shaves with each blade! :thumbup: :thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
While both plenty sharp for me, I find the Feather's sharper. I also agree with BigJ that the Feather's have maybe half the longevity of the Med Prep/Labs.

Years ago I only used Med Preps and Labs. I found the quality control a little better with the Med preps, but at twice the price.

After using both recently and a Rubie today I'd say the Rubie beats both hands down. As sharp and smoother by far.

For me, the Labs require a shave or two to settle in. This is related to the thick coating that has to wear away. They really improve then go for a long time! (I find little/no difference between Labs and Med Preps.)

In contrast, Feathers deteriorate rapidly after the first two shaves.

So, a ’fair’ comparison would be to rate a week or 10 days of shaves with each blade! :thumbup: :thumbup:
BigJ are you a Rubie fan?

BigJ are you a Rubie fan?

Not really sure! It has been a long time since I tried one.

Many of my favorites are St. Petersburg blades (Nacet, GSB and Astra SP). This month I am working on a comparison of vintage vs. modern Wilkinson sword blades. Then on to Czech blades!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just received a 5 pack of the Feathers with my new razor. Glad to hear they are good blades.

I used med prep today after years of pretty much using a feather. I was pleasantly surprised that it performed smoothly. Definitely not as sharp as the feather but it was smooth and completely free of irritation. I still prefer Feather as my go to blade but I am glad I gave it another shot. I am still convinced they are the same as the labs though. However, I ordered a lab from try a blade that I will use next just to make sure. Trying new blades is fun. As much as I love Feather, it does get a little boring using the same equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom