What's new

Feather v. Personna Med/Lab

So, I've been having a bit of a shave-off amongst all the blades in my stash, and it's come down to these two, at least for the time being. Using each blade, I shaved with the same razor (Merkur 25C open-comb), same products (Proraso and ToBS Avacado, at least a shave each), same prep (shave after shower, wet face).

The Feather - very close, marginally sharper, but the Personna MP performed very similarly and was ever so slightly smoother in this particular razor (substantial blade exposure). The Feather gave the closest single WTG pass I've ever had, but the med/lab blade catches up quickly on the 2nd pass. The O-Rub splash is the final arbiter - no burn whatsoever after the Personna shave, and a consistent slight alcohol tingle after the Feather.

The bake-off will continue with my other razors, dialing in the "best" blade for each - what's good for the Merkur OC may not be perfect for say, a Gillette Slim. However, given their similar performance, the MP's slightly higher comfort level, and the MP's price of nearly a 1/3 of the Feather in bulk, the MP emerges as champion from this round.

I'm interested in your further results. I've only compared these two blades in the Merkur 34c, and I much prefer the Personna Med. I'm using it as a test blade for all my DE handles, and the only time I didn't get a great shave was in the Blue Tip. I think I'll try a Feather in that one eventually.

My experience matches yours. I plan to buy both blades in bulk, that is unless another blade can outperform them, but at this point it's not likely :lol:

Med Preps/Labs and Feathers are my two top blades, although Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellows) are not far behind. The Med Preps/Labs are hard to beat, IMO. If you find something better, I'd be curious to know what it is.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have totally different results between Feather and MedPrep in my Futur on 3. Feather feels sharper, but tend to be way rougher on at least the 1st shave. Med/Prep feels way, way smoother on all shaves and give me closer 1st pass every time. Just did my 7th shave on 1 Med/Prep, this time doing my head in addition to my face; as smooth and comfortable on the head and face as on the first shave with it (believe it or don't); head was real close but left a little bit of stubble, barely visible. Face was DFS on 1 pass.

I think I'll put in an order for 250 lab blades soon.

I've only tried Feathers, Personna Labs, Merkur, & Derby blades.

I was doing fine with a Feather loaded 23c but when I tried a 37c Slant with the Feather it was to wild.

Thats when I took advice on this forum an got some Labs. I've achieved (3) bloodless, BBS shaves witht the 37c and a single Lab blade but I discarded the blade after the 3rd shave. It was getting a little rough.

Today, I'd say that the Lab is my preferred blade but I'd qualify that by saying that I haven't tried the Lab in my 23c. Since my technique with the 37c is less mature I must consider that my analysis is not entirely scientific.

At a minimum I can state that for me the Lab is certainly in the same league as the Feather relative to "sharpness" , lasts as long or longer, and is less costly. As far as being "smoother", I'm not sure. The smoother shaves I got with the 37c may be largely due to improving technique.

I went back to the Feather this morning in the 37c after using the Personna Lab for several days.

My technique is far better with the Slant than when I first started.

This morning a got a great, bloodless, BBS shave even better than any I got with the Labs.

I now believe the Lab and Feather to be very close in sharpness. I got 5 shaves with the Lab the last time I used it. I'll see how far I can get with the Feather. I had previously changed after 2 shaves.

These are the only two blades I've ordered in bulk (Labs haven't arrived yet) and I think it will be back and forth between them for a long time in my Merkur 34C.

Surely these two are only king of the hill for certain types of skin and beard though.

2nd successful shave with the Feather in my 37c Slant.

Clearly my initial failure with the Feather in that razor was entirely my poor technique.

I'll switch back to the Lab after my 3rd shave with the Feather.

My current opinion is that either of these blades are good choices for me but the Lab is far less costly.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
If the Labs truly the equivalent of the Med Preps, they rule on performance and price. Got 9 superb shaves and 1 fine shave from a Med in Futur on 3.5. Beats the crap out of Feather all day long; I can get only 5-6 shaves at most from a Feather. Ordered the 250 Lab bulk pack for 44 bucks plus shipping. Hope my last Med lasts until they arrive.

Feather, Shark and Merkur will be going to my Active Duty PIF.

If the Labs truly the equivalent of the Med Preps, they rule on performance and price. Got 9 superb shaves and 1 fine shave from a Med in Futur on 3.5. Beats the crap out of Feather all day long; I can get only 5-6 shaves at most from a Feather. Ordered the 250 Lab bulk pack for 44 bucks plus shipping. Hope my last Med lasts until they arrive.

Feather, Shark and Merkur will be going to my Active Duty PIF.
Where'd you order your 250 pack? I'm a newbie, but I'm tempted just to order a pack of these and be done with it. I've heard only positive about this blade. that's not much more expensive per blade than some of the ghetto blades.

So, I've been having a bit of a shave-off amongst all the blades in my stash, and it's come down to these two, at least for the time being. Using each blade, I shaved with the same razor (Merkur 25C open-comb), same products (Proraso and ToBS Avacado, at least a shave each), same prep (shave after shower, wet face).

The Feather - very close, marginally sharper, but the Personna MP performed very similarly and was ever so slightly smoother in this particular razor (substantial blade exposure). The Feather gave the closest single WTG pass I've ever had, but the med/lab blade catches up quickly on the 2nd pass. The O-Rub splash is the final arbiter - no burn whatsoever after the Personna shave, and a consistent slight alcohol tingle after the Feather.

The bake-off will continue with my other razors, dialing in the "best" blade for each - what's good for the Merkur OC may not be perfect for say, a Gillette Slim. However, given their similar performance, the MP's slightly higher comfort level, and the MP's price of nearly a 1/3 of the Feather in bulk, the MP emerges as champion from this round.

Generally speaking, the Medical Personnas are my favorite DE blade, and the 39C is my favorite DE razor. I tend to use Feathers with milder razors. I am also very impressed with Astras and use those with "in between" razors.

I really don't know if this makes any difference but it's what I enjoy doing, and at least psychologically feel like I maximize the output of various razors with the blades I use.

Where'd you order your 250 pack? I'm a newbie, but I'm tempted just to order a pack of these and be done with it. I've heard only positive about this blade. that's not much more expensive per blade than some of the ghetto blades.

Razor Blades & More sells them as well...

As stated on my previous posts, I'm flip flopping between the Feather & Lab in my 37c Slant.

Now that I have my technique stabilized with the Slant, my observations are slightly more scientific on these blades.

First, I measure "smoothness" by how much burn/sting I get when I apply Clubman Aftershave and the level of irritation/tenderness that remains throughout the day after I have achieved a bloodless, BBS shave.

The last time I used a Feather 5 or 6 days ago, I achieved the smoothest shave I ever experienced with ANY blade. The blade was fresh and I was ULTRA ULTRA delicate in pressure, blade angle, and the pace at which I shaved. I shaved (2) more times with the same blade and achieved good BBS shaves but a little less smooth each time.

I then switched back to the Lab and this morning was my 3rd shave with the Lab. The first (2) were not as smooth as the exceptional shave I had with the Feather, but my shave this morning was just about as smooth as that great Feather shave. The lesser quality shaves on the first (2) were probably a result of relaxing the technique that I used with the Feather.

Here are my conclussions SO FAR:

A Feather CAN provide a super smooth shave as good or better than the Lab if care and delicacy is used.

The Feather does seem to lose it's edge quicker and therefore challenge the me to achieve a smooth shave on subsequent outings.

The Lab can deliver a smooth shave and deliver it deeper into it's shave count and deliver it WITHOUT the same level of control used with a Feather.

Today, I'm leaning towards making the Lab my daily driver and the Feather being my special Sunday drive in the country.

with the exception of my beloved Iridiums, the med personnas are becoming my favorite blade and will likely replace the Iridiums when I run out of them. I used to favor the feathers but that's when I only had milder razors (HD, blue-tip SS, black handle SS). With the MP's I can get very comfortable shaves with whatever razor I use and the comfort is the same with subsequent shaves on the same blade. I can't say the same thing for feather. It might beat out the MPs on milder razors, but overall, the MP's can be paired up with every razor I own and I end up with satisfying results. That's why I own 200 of them vs 100 feathers and hate to say this as this number is decreasing (160 Iridiums).

Last edited:
Top Bottom