What's new

Feather tto razor

HI,
i have a very inexpensive Feather tto razor,i quite like it! but i do find it strange that it was around $20 but the only ones you ever see are the 3 piece ones that are around $140! i might be mistaken but does anyone know of any other models of Feather safety razors that are more reasonably priced? thanks regards.

As far as I know, the Feather DE line consists of the mostly plastic TTO that you own, and the 3 piece Feather All Stainless.

There are some vintage models (which typically sell for high dollar on Ebay), but the above two are the only current production models.

Up until about two years ago, there was also a 3 piece model called the Feather Portable that was about the same size as a Gillette Tech (but quite a bit more aggressive). At the time they could be purchased for around $10 shipped, but they appear to now be discontinued, and the supply of them has dried up.

As far as I know, the Feather DE line consists of the mostly plastic TTO that you own, and the 3 piece Feather All Stainless.

There are some vintage models (which typically sell for high dollar on Ebay), but the above two are the only current production models.

Up until about two years ago, there was also a 3 piece model called the Feather Portable that was about the same size as a Gillette Tech (but quite a bit more aggressive). At the time they could be purchased for around $10 shipped, but they appear to now be discontinued, and the supply of them has dried up.

+1

There's a Feather Popular with a metal handle for $16 @ whippeddog.com:

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/double-edge-razor

That is not a Feather Popular. It's not made by Feather, nor even made in Japan. If I recall previous discussion correctly, it's made in Pakistan.

I don't know why Leisure Guy thought it was a Feather, but I am fairly certain the Feather name is nowhere to be found on the razor.

It might have the same design as the Feather TTO (with the tto knob being at the top of the handle) but that design doesn't belong to Feather; it first appeared in the 1960's with the Gillette Knack!!

That is not a Feather Popular. It's not made by Feather, nor even made in Japan. If I recall previous discussion correctly, it's made in Pakistan.

I don't know why Leisure Guy thought it was a Feather, but I am fairly certain the Feather name is nowhere to be found on the razor.

It might have the same design as the Feather TTO (with the tto knob being at the top of the handle) but that design doesn't belong to Feather; it first appeared in the 1960's with the Gillette Knack!!

michiganlover is correct.
I was the OP on a Thread from earlier this year dealing with this topic.
The TTO was reviewed by michiganlover about 3 years ago as the "SABIGEN1".
When I bought mine, I originally thought it was a hobbyist modification (A Feather TTO Head with a new handle attached). This is not the case.

Guys, thanks for the correction. I'm a bit peeved that Larry Andreassen, owner of Whippeddog.com, links to that review that inaccurately describes the product he sells without correcting that inaccuracy - in my book that's misrepresentation. Hopefully I'll like the razor, regardless of who makes it (should arrive tomorrow), but Larry will certainly be hearing from me about his less-than-accurate product listing. He was very prompt with responding to correspondence and shipping, though.

Just for the sake of curiousity, could one attache a metal handle to the Popular head or are they integrated?

Look I don't like to run Larry's name through the mud, as he is considered to be a great guy, and vendor. He did at one point himself list the razor as a Feather on his site. That is probably how LeisureGuy arrived at calling it a Feather in his review.

I have no idea how Larry arrived at calling it a Feather though. It doesn't hold the Feather name at all, and I should think he knows the origin of his products. If he knows the product came out of Pakistan, then unfortunately, his original product listing was a flat out lie.

I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he didn't know the products origins at first (which can happen when buying through a distributor), and corrected the listing when he found out the misconception. Like you though, I would still like a disclaimer on the site indicating the review (which isn't even all that positive), is inaccurate. On the other hand, if you are not 100% sure of your products origins, why would you associate it with the Feather name; a highly respected name in the wet shaving realm.

"The “Good” razor is not especially comfortable to use, and one has to exercise conscious care." is not exactly a glaring positive review. At best it says the razor is passable. Usable, but basically a piece of junk is how I read the statement. Having owned this razor in the past, I wouldn't call it usable at all, it's basically 100% total junk; as nearly everything wet shaving related coming out of Pakistan has proven to be.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of curiousity, could one attache a metal handle to the Popular head or are they integrated?

Having briefly owned a Feather TTO (I found it much too mild to be an effective razor), I am under the impression that the handle is simply screwed onto the head. So yes, you should be able to unscrew the plastic handle, and place a metal handle on it. The late Cooncatbob did this quite often with vintage Gillette Knacks, and Slim Twists.

Last edited:
I posted a comment to LeisureGuy's review correcting his error about the manufacturer of this razor and requesting that he change his review to call it just a "Double edge safety razor from Whippeddog.com." So hopefully anyone following Larry's link will not be duped, as I was.

I sure hope that I have a better opinion of this razor than you had. I specifically chose this one because I have never shaved with a DE razor before, have read a lot of reviews of the cheaper ones on Amazon, have read a lot of comments about various Uxcells, Lords, and others having some issues with the blades seating unevenly, and I very much do not want to be drawing a defectively manufactured slice-and-gash device across my face and neck. I cut myself only a few times a year with a cartridge shaver and find it a discomforting experience. I was trusting the Feather name to obtain a precisely-manufactured, made-in-Japan razor that does not have a reputation for blade seating problems.

Nice guy or not, Larry deliberately kept the link to LeisureGuy's review on his product listing. So while he himself did not misrepresent the manufacturer of the razor, his link to someone else who mistated the manufacturer either demonstrates an actual intent to mislead a potential customer or represents a pretty callous disregard for the truth. Either way, intentional or inadvertent, including the link to the inaccurate LeisureGuy review amounts to misrepresentation and I would not have ordered from Larry had I not been deceived as to the actual manufacturer of this razor. If I am not happy with this razor, I'll be contacting Larry about a full refund. I'll give the new razor a reasonable and fair trial before I make up my mind, but I'm waiting for my package to arrive a lot less eagerly than I was two days ago; I don't like being duped by inaccurate and untruthful product descriptions. I'll post an update with my opinions in a week or so.
If you do a search for Whippeddog on any of the shaving forums, you'll find a tremendous number of people saying what a stand-up guy he is and how he goes the extra mile to make things right for his customers. Duping is not what Larry is about. If you're not happy with something, I'm sure he'll make it right. I'm waiting for delivery now of a straight and the poor man's strop. It's my first time ordering from Larry but I'm confident I'm getting good value for my money.

I posted a comment to LeisureGuy's review correcting his error about the manufacturer of this razor and requesting that he change his review to call it just a "Double edge safety razor from Whippeddog.com." So hopefully anyone following Larry's link will not be duped, as I was.

I sure hope that I have a better opinion of this razor than you had. I specifically chose this one because I have never shaved with a DE razor before, have read a lot of reviews of the cheaper ones on Amazon, have read a lot of comments about various Uxcells, Lords, and others having some issues with the blades seating unevenly, and I very much do not want to be drawing a defectively manufactured slice-and-gash device across my face and neck. I cut myself only a few times a year with a cartridge shaver and find it a discomforting experience. I was trusting the Feather name to obtain a precisely-manufactured, made-in-Japan razor that does not have a reputation for blade seating problems.

Nice guy or not, Larry deliberately kept the link to LeisureGuy's review on his product listing. So while he himself did not misrepresent the manufacturer of the razor, his link to someone else who mistated the manufacturer either demonstrates an actual intent to mislead a potential customer or represents a pretty callous disregard for the truth. Either way, intentional or inadvertent, including the link to the inaccurate LeisureGuy review amounts to misrepresentation and I would not have ordered from Larry had I not been deceived as to the actual manufacturer of this razor. If I am not happy with this razor, I'll be contacting Larry about a full refund. I'll give the new razor a reasonable and fair trial before I make up my mind, but I'm waiting for my package to arrive a lot less eagerly than I was two days ago; I don't like being duped by inaccurate and untruthful product descriptions. I'll post an update with my opinions in a week or so.

Now that I have read through the referenced review, I think it's very difficult to fault Larry. The review says this about Larry's product: "The “Good” razor is not especially comfortable to use, and one has to exercise conscious care. The EJ is much more comfortable, and the ARC Weber more comfortable still." It does not seem to be the kind of review I would link to if I was was trying to dupe or mislead a potential customer. You should probably not use and just return the razor to Larry and order either a Feather Popular from somewhere if you want a Feather or an Edwin Jagger. At this point I think it's doubtful you'll be happy with this razor, you're probably better off starting fresh. After all, it's about making shaving enjoyable.

You should probably not use and just return the razor to Larry and order either a Feather Popular from somewhere if you want a Feather or an Edwin Jagger. At this point I think it's doubtful you'll be happy with this razor, you're probably better off starting fresh. After all, it's about making shaving enjoyable.

A kind member is blessing him with some nice Christmas presents: a Cadet Razor TTO-11 (twist to open razor), and a Cadet Razor TP-26 (three piece razor). So he should be all set to rock the DE world!! :001_cool:

I replied earlier tonight, but my response isn't here now. I did it from another computer, and must not have properly posted the message. So, I will reply here again, but more briefly than before.

I am fairly versant with straight razors, but not in the least educated about double edge razors. Some time ago, guys kept asking me why I wasn't selling DEs, and so I found a manufacturer in Pakistan. It was the same manufacturer that I was already using as a source of strop buckles. (I tried to find an affordable source of DEs and before that buckles from the US, but was not able to find one.)

When the DEs were listed on my site, it was with just a few sentences that I don't recall. LeisureGuy bought a razor, and emailed me that he was going to recommend my razor as a Feather. For you who are knowledgeable about DEs, you might find it hard to believe, but I thought at first, or wondered whether Feather was a style. In retrospect, I believe he meant it was like a Feather, but truthfully even now I have never done more than view 5 or 10 Feather razors in Google Image Search.

I take full blame for misleading verbiage, and in fact misleading enough verbiage as to embarrass me not a little. There was no intent or attempt to mislead!

Everyone needs to know how conscientious Mike Ham, the LeisureGuy is also. When he told me that he was going to recommend to others "my" DE, I was appreciative and offered to send him some shave soap, or something of modest value as a gesture of my appreciation. He replied that that would be a conflict of interest. Of course, he was right. I just responded from the heart, to thank him without considering the bigger picture. Mike demonstrated great principle. That is not someone who tries to mislead.

My apology to everyone for handling this DE situation so poorly.

... My apology to everyone for handling this DE situation so poorly.

The above snippet comes from my midnight post last night. Midnight... not the best clear headed time for posting! PLEASE allow me to rephrase...

My apology to everyone for handling this DE situation so GRACIOUSLY.

In Larry's defense I had a similar experience with someone who was going to make me a custom handle for my Merkur 33. The vendor in question specializes in custom made writing implements and recently started making custom handles to fit a bunch of DE heads that he bought from a third party. This vendor didn't specialize in DE razors and only bought the heads and made the handles at the suggestion of another customer. The vendor had to go online and research Merkur in order to know what I was asking him to do.

Top Bottom