What's new

Feather str8's

I still have yet to use a str8 but have decided on the above mentioned so there wont be any honing involved. I just cant decid on wich one to purchase, classic shaving offers a couple all which are nice. Any suggestions :confused:

gage0921 said:
I still have yet to use a str8 but have decided on the above mentioned so there wont be any honing involved. I just cant decid on wich one to purchase, classic shaving offers a couple all which are nice. Any suggestions :confused:

I'd suggest, if you haven't already, some experience with a normal str8 as I hear Feathers are EXTREMELY sharp and not for beginners...that's the sole reason I haven't bought one yet. I'm waiting till I become proficient with a normal str8

I'd recommend that you buy the cheapest model from Ray at Classicshaving. From the beginning, I've had no problem when shaving with my Feather str8. Just start on flat areas (cheeks) and apply absolutely no pressure while attempting to achieve a 15 to 30 degree shaving angle. Go slowly!

another Joel

i bought a cheap str8 on ebay, a stainless steel guy that takes injector blades. it was around $15. i'd say go for that or something like a dovo shavette, then you can experiment with different blades, blade lengths, and sharpness.

i am still cutting my face with the str8 , but i imagine one of these days i'll figure it out!

I think you should go for the Artist Club. Not only is it a lot cheaper than the Pleana, but It's used in a normal str8 way. The Pleana is layed down flat on the face. So, if you learn with the AC you'll be in a perfect position to start using regular str8s. You may not find it as easy after the Pleana.

The Prebeau uses its own blade module, and only caged blades are available, so you wouldn't be able to switch to another type of blade,a as you would with the AC.

BTW, I got the AC after I was already using str8s, but I took to it immediately because of my long DE experience. Unlike, a regular str8 the AC shaves very light pressure, more like a DE.

gage0921 said:

I'd recommend checking out Carr Barber supply... the owner is just about the nicest guy you'll ever do business with - and he ships orders for FREE when they are over $75
Carr has the Artist Club for $99, and for just $8.95 more you can buy a Filarmonica razor that takes DE blades (snapped in 1/2) just like a shavette! You can try both styles of replacable bladed straights for a reasonable price!
Link to Carr's

Thank you joel and everyone for you replies. Ill let you all know what I decide and how it turns out.

Don't let people scare you about going for the Feather. I did it after I started with str8s, but I took to it like a fish to water, because of my DE experience. It was a lot easier than learning to use pressure with a regular str8.

Just remember to use your best DE technique with the Feather and you should be fine. Forget the 30 degree angle and use the smallest you can. Uae about as much pressure as you would with a DE (just the weight of the razor) add a touch if you must for it to cut.

The most difficult cut with a str8 is the first one. It's a little less intimidating with a Feather because you don't have that gleaming blade at your throat.

gage0921 said:

Don't let people scare you about going for the Feather.

Absolutely right! I had never used a str8 before, but decided to try the Feather. As long as you maintain a low angle and light touch it is very much like using a DE.

If your DE technique is good you should have no problem with the Feather. That being said you still need to be cautious and practice good technique. My approach was the same as i used when learning the DE - start off slow and build up as your confidence and skills improve.

I've been using the Feather in combination with a DE for about 2 weeks with the Method Shaving - I can do multiple N/S passes with ease and will incorporate a E/W next week - building up - just like with a DE.

So, what is it you do? Reduction with the Feather and finishing with the DE?

blueasajewel said:
Absolutely right! I had never used a str8 before, but decided to try the Feather. As long as you maintain a low angle and light touch it is very much like using a DE.

If your DE technique is good you should have no problem with the Feather. That being said you still need to be cautious and practice good technique. My approach was the same as i used when learning the DE - start off slow and build up as your confidence and skills improve.

I've been using the Feather in combination with a DE for about 2 weeks with the Method Shaving - I can do multiple N/S passes with ease and will incorporate a E/W next week - building up - just like with a DE.

Joe Lerch said:
Don't let people scare you about going for the Feather.

Im not the least bit hesitant as to using a str8 or a feather for that matter, just want to make a well informed decesion on one of the two.

I've done it, and it works. You'll probably get closer if you learn to finish with the Feather. That takes time.

Interestingly, my best shave does not come from a str8, and I have plenty of them, including the Feather AC. My best shave is with a Merkur slant using a Feather platinum blade. That's not a combination for the unskilled, but the result is incomparable. I can't get closer with anything else.

blueasajewel said:
That's it. The resulting smoothness of the shave is simply staggering. Try it and tell me if you don't agree.

You'll probably get closer if you learn to finish with the Feather.

I'm building to that!

My best shave is with a Merkur slant using a Feather platinum blade. That's not a combination for the unskilled, but the result is incomparable.

I use the Slant/Feather combo and yes you get an awsome result - but the slant is still a tad aggressive for my skin to use everyday - face feels a touch on the "raw" side if I can put it that way. Although I am sure this is due to my technique.

I am finding though that as I get better with the Feather str8, my DE technique also sees subtle improvements coincidently. I use the Slant combo at least once a week and my skin response has been improving.

This all certainly keeps things interesting to say the least.

It has to be a technique issue, becaus I find the Feather blade totally converts the slant. It produces the smoothest razor. Gueron had a similar result.

For starters, you have to think of extremely light touch with this combination, especially if you're working on skin. I mean really don't apply pressue and just let the razor sit there.

blueasajewel said:
I'm building to that!

I use the Slant/Feather combo and yes you get an awsome result - but the slant is still a tad aggressive for my skin to use everyday - face feels a touch on the "raw" side if I can put it that way. Although I am sure this is due to my technique.
QUOTE]

Top Bottom