What's new

Feather Stainless Versus Feather popular

Hi Guys
I received a Feather Stainless for Christmas,and I am pretty impressed with it overall.
I have a few travel events coming up and I would like to replicate the shave I get at home as closely as possible while on the road.
I don't feel comfortable toting along my $180.00 Feather;which leads to my question

How close is a popular to a stainless?
One is three piece the other a TTO,one is $170.00 and the other under $20.00

the main areas I would be concerned with are overall performance and the "angle of attack" required.

Any feedback from those who have used the popular would as always be greatly appreciated

thanks
Phil

I have both and the only thing I find that they share is the maker's name.

A modern Merkur slant (37c) gives me a smooth comfortable shave and is the closest I've found to the AS-D1.

I have both and the only thing I find that they share is the maker's name.

A modern Merkur slant (37c) gives me a smooth comfortable shave and is the closest I've found to the AS-D1.

thanks
The Slant is the last razor left on my "Must have" list

Feather AS and Pop. Chalk and cheese.

Merkur make a nice little travel razor if you want to travel light.

I have both: the stainless is fantastic, the Popular is atrocious: requires a huge amount of effort just to receive fair results cutting stubble, and the effort also results in large amounts of face irritation. I would not recommend the Popular at all.

I have only used the Feather Stainless and so cannot directly speak to the question. I will say when I don't travel with my Feather that I have enjoyed DFS with my travel tweezerman brush, proraso preshave, and shave cream (usually Nancy boy) with a schick "tsa friendly" disposable razor. Not as good as home shaving but still very very good. The brush, preshave and good cream make a world of difference

The feather popular is a very servicable razor, I don't know where all the "huge amount of effort" and the "atrocity" came from. Is it a $40 HD, no, or an EJ89, no of course not, it's a cheap $20 razor that gets the job done in the normal 2 passes for me at least. Get one, for $20 you can't lose on it IMO. Plus, I found one recently for like $14.99 shipped, if I can remember the website I will post u a link.

Having owned both, The Feather All Stainless is nothing like the Feather Popular.

They shave nothing alike. I found the Feather Popular is much to lightweight, and way too mild. I sold it after a half dozen shaves.

The Feather All Stainless on the other hand is one of the smoothest shaving, best made razors on the market.

Pick yourself up a vintage Superspeed, you will be much further ahead.

The feather popular is a very servicable razor, I don't know where all the "huge amount of effort" and the "atrocity" came from. Is it a $40 HD, no, or an EJ89, no of course not, it's a cheap $20 razor that gets the job done in the normal 2 passes for me at least. Get one, for $20 you can't lose on it IMO. Plus, I found one recently for like $14.99 shipped, if I can remember the website I will post u a link.

YMMV, obviously - for me, it was horrible -

IMHO there is very little that would compare to the AS-D1 as far as all around performance and durability. I however own the feather popular and use it for air travel exclusively. It does get the job done, and I wouldn't be too upset if I lost it. The feather popular has nowhere near the feel of AS-D1, but it is fairly smooth and the handle is a nice length for me. Angle of attack for the razor is more similar to standard safety razors, where as the AS-D1 seems to be more acute. For a travel razor, the popular is decent.

I have found the popular to be quite good. However, my only experience is with a pole and a Parker long handle. I have long fingers, which is likely the main reason I prefer a long slim handle, as the FP is. I threw out my Parker, and I doubt I'll buy another one, as they can easily come apart

Top Bottom