What's new

Feather stainless and bleach

@ Insomniac LOLZ

On side note BKFST may be try putting in some type of metal harmed by bleach as the Feather was to see if your tumbler does the trick. Sort of recreate the event.

Not my feather!!! LOL

Yes, I'll see if I can pick up a stainless bolt or something tomorrow (something with a little depth, to simulate the knurling) and I'll pick up some bleach if I need to. I'll look around to see if I can find something here at home so I can soak it tonight and try tumbling, not sure on anything stainless at the moment (that I don't want damaged)

I'd try a gentle polish of some sort like Novus 2 or Pine-ola (or even cautious application of a more aggressive polish like Brasso or Flitz) with a toothbrush to scrub it around. A jewelers polishing wheel with a brush installed (rather than a wheel) and tripoli compound would certainly fix it and leave a decent matte finish that would almost pass for new, but you'd need to find a jeweler to go that route.

The tumbler will likely work well too, as long as you have abrasive compound on the media (walnut would be better than corn cob IMO) but only clean one part at a time, having all three going at once could cause more harm than good!!

good luck!

My media is corncob, I have a friend who reloads also, not sure if his is corncob or walnut (guessing corncob also), but I've got a bit of flitz in the corncob media.

I had assumed the Feather Stainless razor was simply etched to give it the matte appearance. IMO this is undesirable, as you lose the ability to polish it to restore the original appearance if it is damaged. If it is plated (with chrome or anything else) that is worse still.

I'd be very interested to see how this example turns out after tumbling/brushing/whatever.

Chlorine molecules will chew threw anything "rustproof" even stainless steel, chrome, and aluminum. Cl molecules exist in salt water, chlorine solution, HCl.... Be careful with anything chlorine. According to a friend knowledgeable in this subject, a 1% solution of bleach will kill off everything anyway

So I did a little reading about Stainless Steel. Turns out that Stainless is a blend of metals with a minimum of 11-26% chromium depending on the application. And you could say that the protective coating forms naturally and will "grow back" after polishing. That razor may just clean up better than you expect....maybe. Here is a description from Wikipedia:

High oxidation-resistance in air at ambient temperature is normally achieved with additions of a minimum of 13% (by weight) chromium, and up to 26% is used for harsh environments.[SUP][12][/SUP] The chromium forms a passivation layer of chromium(III) oxide (Cr[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB]) when exposed to oxygen. The layer is too thin to be visible, and the metal remains lustrous. The layer is impervious to water and air, protecting the metal beneath. Also, this layer quickly reforms when the surface is scratched.

Last edited:
Wow. just saw this thread and the pic. I cried a little. Hopefully people aren't cleaning their stainless steel appliances with bleach either. I wanted to throttle a maid service that I caught doing that. I cringed when I read the title and thought surely it wouldnt be this.

This is why I read these boards. For years, I have been reading about multiple high end expensive razors that everyone assumes are not coated with any type of finish. I have news for you.....I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night. At least Feather is forth right about their coating system. I specifically told everyone on this board as fact the Feather Razor All Stainless is plated to protect the finish with a chrome product. I was questioned to reveal my source, which I did and still people continue to debate and question the facts. I can manufacture anything to the highest quality possible, if the owners of this forum were to poll privately and send me the finalized results in private. I would consider building the winning razor in mass, before the forum released the results to allow me time to earn back the machining investment. Also, has the member who made the unfortunate mistake of damaging his Feather contacted Feather? I would think knowing Feather and how I have seen them operate they would want to replace the razor and would be very interested in seeing the damaged razor in person. Please post if they replace, also if the owners of this board do a survey and send me detailed specs-I would consider selling direct.

This is why I read these boards. For years, I have been reading about multiple high end expensive razors that everyone assumes are not coated with any type of finish. I have news for you.....I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night. At least Feather is forth right about their coating system. I specifically told everyone on this board as fact the Feather Razor All Stainless is plated to protect the finish with a chrome product. I was questioned to reveal my source, which I did and still people continue to debate and question the facts. I can manufacture anything to the highest quality possible, if the owners of this forum were to poll privately and send me the finalized results in private. I would consider building the winning razor in mass, before the forum released the results to allow me time to earn back the machining investment. Also, has the member who made the unfortunate mistake of damaging his Feather contacted Feather? I would think knowing Feather and how I have seen them operate they would want to replace the razor and would be very interested in seeing the damaged razor in person. Please post if they replace, also if the owners of this board do a survey and send me detailed specs-I would consider selling direct.

Don't take it personally but you have no profile picture, just joined this month, and have no location listed. People are skeptics on the internet. Can you blame them? I remember my 7th grade teacher saying, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you read."

You would have been most believable had you just posted your communication with Feather like I did in this post.

Welcome to B&B!

AABCDS and skeptics. Once Kent posts the response from Feather, you will all know I only post correct information. Secondly, attached is a direct contact with someone at Feather. If I were in Bandaids shoes and destroyed my razor by accident not knowing it was chrome plated, I would send him a picture and ask if they can help. Please post if this helps and the results and then I would like some respect on this forum or know one will benefit from my engineering skills on this forum. [email protected]

At least I have not heard someone say they stuck their razor in the microwave for a couple minutes to clean it...

Not yet anyway :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Your saying that Feather told you something is not providing a source. Don't forget there is always a potential for a language/translation problem in your communications with them as well.
You can catch more flies with honey... If you are interested in building a razor, start a post about it rather than trying to trash an existing one.

Barbicide is not sold around here I think
Where is "here"? There's also always mail order.

I remember my 7th grade teacher saying, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you read."
Better yet, always consider the source and corroborate. Randomly accepting and disregarding things doesn't seem like an effective strategy IMO.

Then why did you believe her? :confused1
Maybe he meant to say that she wrote it twice and he only accepted it the second time. :001_tongu

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I sent an email asking for translation of the terminology on the Japanese website, citing the terminology in JAPANESE to avoid language issues.

It is confirmed the razor is CHROME PLATED in a matte finish. If anyone wants the email I will be happy to post it or email it to ya :). Gentlemen be careful with your Feather razors! I will take better care if mine...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My email:

Hello!

I have read on your Japanese website that the Feather AS-D1 is ベロアメッキ. Does this mean the razor is chrome plated-クロムメッキ with つや消し?

Aloha,

Kent

Reply today

Thank you very much for your e-mail dated February 18, 2012 through our
website.

We very much appreciate your interest in our all stainless steel razor, and
we are pleased to inform you that the surface treatment of this razor is
matted chrome-plating just as you mentioned, and that is also what is meant
in Japanese description in the website.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION

It would seem that wetshaveusa has been vindicated. While his manners may not be the best, maybe that is a cultural thing.
Johnnie

So, what I saw at first in those pictures was flaking, after all. Disappointing, to say the least...
Oh well. Back to DE89 and R41. Oh, I took my 33C for a shave recently and I was surprised how well it did. More aggressive than De89 for sure but comfortable. Nice and clean shave. And it liked ASTRA as well.

Whats wrong with a coated Stainless Steel Razor coated with Matted Chrome Plating, Like the Feather AS D-1 ? It doesnt make the worth less? Whats thw problem with it being coated in that manner?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the chrome plating adds a degree of fragility to a razor I thought was bullet proof. Does anyone know how long chrome plating lasts before flaking? Or should it never flake unless soaked on bleach?

Top Bottom