What's new

Feather SS Vs Kai Captain.

The shape is very similar to DX, but the material of stainless steel and the detail design seem to be different.
DX is 55g and this is 51g. The head part is a little lighter and the balance during use is different from DX.
There is no superiority or inferiority in in the balance of each model. I think it's a matter of taste.
The black discoloration is just a stain due to the fact that it was used in the salon.

Excelia is not currently sold in Japan. Other KAI straight holders are not sold to ordinary individuals.
I don't know how popular salon blade razors are in countries other than Japan, but they are widely used in Japanese barbers. There are few people who love shave, and Excelia is very popular only with barbers. It is extremely difficult to obtain. I also looked for more than half a year.

Titanium coat is a technology "PINK" used only for some blades. A blade without titanium coating is also available. The holder is irrelevant.
Do you know the brand/manufacturer of the razor on top, the one with the stain? Could it be an older generation Feather? The blade profile and scales do look similar to a DX. Perhaps it is made from a grade of stainless steel that is less corrosion resistant. Or it is simply older and has been subjected to a lot more things.....maybe that is just hair dye sitting on top of the razor in the small surface grooves and not really corrosion?

Do you know the brand/manufacturer of the razor on top, the one with the stain? Could it be an older generation Feather? The blade profile and scales do look similar to a DX. Perhaps it is made from a grade of stainless steel that is less corrosion resistant. Or it is simply older and has been subjected to a lot more things.....maybe that is just hair dye sitting on top of the razor in the small surface grooves and not really corrosion?
I believe that's a Feather RG, which is plated brass, but @amaneibuki can confirm. I don't see anything that looks like a stain or corrosion - perhaps just a reflection since that particular razor has more of a mirror finish than the others.

I believe that's a Feather RG, which is plated brass, but @amaneibuki can confirm. I don't see anything that looks like a stain or corrosion - perhaps just a reflection since that particular razor has more of a mirror finish than the others.

If you look on the other Feather thread lower down on this page or the next, I posted a pic of my Feather AC RG. You'll see that after many years of use, the razor looks like new with no corrosion or issues at all. It is brass. I could have bought the DX which was released at the same time I bought the RG, but it was A LOT more expensive. The RG has served me very well.

I agree that the Feather AC RG is a good razor. I bought a used one years ago (back when it was still in production) and it still looks great except for the faucet dings I inflicted on it while learning to shave and not knowing better.

But I do not believe that is a RG in post #38, since there is no stamp/decoration on the shank and it does not have a matte finish appearance in the photo. But the secondary bevel and overall face shape does look a lot like an RG. So perhaps it was a RG kamisori converted into a folding razor and possibly replated?.....but that is too complicated to be likely.

I am very surprised that everyone has a lot of interest in the black razor.
It is a used item bought for about 10 USD for occasional use.
The intention in the photo was to match the numbers.
I knew that it was an old item that was not a DX, so I thought it would be a spare that won't hurt my heart even if I lost it at a travel destination.
(Currently this role belongs to Kai Young-T. A great 0.25mm single blade disposable razor)

I don't know the details about this black model.
I confirmed that the details are different from DX in several ways.
Later, I will take a photo and compare.

IMG_0063-1.jpg
IMG_0064-2.jpg
IMG_0066-3.jpg
IMG_0067-4.jpg

IMG_E0068-5.jpg
IMG_E0069-6.jpg
IMG_E0071-7.jpg

I don't know if the black model is made of brass. The blackened part looks slightly yellow, but it does not smell like brass.
The black model has a steep angle at the edge of the blade. DX does not include changes in angle.
DX is a model that particularly appeals concave. I believe that DX is the result of improving this point.

@amaneibuki, thanks for the additional photos. I find your old black scaled razor to be interesting as I have never seen one like it before. The details point in the direction of it being an older generation Feather RG that is made from stainless steel or a different material than the last production RG which was available 10 years ago. Maybe it was made from a lower grade of stainless steel and was mistreated over a decade ago to add all the tarnish....it is really hard to guess from photos but that razor does not appear to be plated like the most recent RG model.

Top Bottom