What's new

Feather SS Vs Kai Captain.

Gentleman ,
Even though I'm currently using all formats of shaving (DE,SE,Injectors,Straights, Shavettes ) . My SRAD is again pushing me towards an A/C type razor. Last time when I was thinking of buying my 1st shavette many here advised not to buy a cheap one, but to go for a feather SS. At that moment I thought as usually" No I just want to give it a try that's all" . So I bought a some cheap stainless steel 1/2 DE razor. The Shave was pretty good. So the next stop was a Universal and it is superb.
Now after few months I'm wanting an A/C type shavette. I have seen some Feather SS and Kai captain kamisori type razors in the bay for 80/- 90/- . Did my research and found about the bump on Feather etc. But there are no real comparisons between the two available on the net. Details such as build quality and materials used , shaving differences etc etc would very helpful for future references as well.
So my request is for the gents who own one or both to chime in and lay down your experiences and knowledge of those two brands

Thank you in advance

I don't have those exact two razors, but ones very much like them. They shave a little differently but have a lot in common. However based on what you said about SRAD I recommend that you consider buying both, but not at the same time. If you asked me I would recommend that you:

1) First get the Kai Captain or similarly styled razor. And some Feather Pro and Super Pro blades. You might also want to try blades from Schick or Kai instead of the Feather Pro or in addition to them.. Use this setup for a few months or until you get bored and then afterwards....

2) Get the Feather SS and try the various blades.

Again that is just one approach, you could certainly start with the SS. I recommended that order as a way for you to first gain experience with the AC blades before using the lipped razor.

Yes. what about the build quality (durability) ?
I know both are of excellent make. I heard that SS is made from stainless steel while the Kai is made from brass. Is that true ?

I love the SS to death, but have never tried the Kai Captain.
On Amazon, the SS is less expensive. Yes, it's stainless steel. The quality is amazing.

Much has been made of the little lip near the blade edge on the Feather. In my opinion, whoever thought of that is a freaking genius. It just makes the razor so smooth and so non-threatening to use. Yes, the angle is slightly steeper than what you use with a regular straight razor, but it's not a big deal. You get used to it within a couple of strokes. It's a non-issue.

I haven't used any other razor since the third week of August. It's that good.

Six in one, half dozen in the other. They have slight difference but its going to be more personal preference. Both are great razors.
Youd probably be able to get the Feather for less $$$ because theyre more common though.
If youre new to AC style razors, you could also consider the CJB. Its not built to the same quality standards as the Feather/Kai buts its waaaaay cheaper and will let you dip a toe in without breaking the bank.
You may also want to consider a Feather SS. It kind of has a beveled edge that is supposed to make it more forgiving and easier to use. It costs about half as much as the Feather DX or Kai Captain too.

Yes. what about the build quality (durability) ?
I know both are of excellent make. I heard that SS is made from stainless steel while the Kai is made from brass. Is that true ?
Yes, the Feather SS is made from a sintered stainless steel, so maybe it should be called the Feather SSS. :)

I know less about the Kai Captain but it is very likely brass. The Kai Excelia is made from stainless steel and is similar to the Feather DX, but will cost at least twice as much as the Captain if you can even find it.

I own the Feather SS & DX. Both are awesome razors, and the SS can be bought for ~$55 on Amazon, which is a fantastic deal.

I imagine the Kai is also an excellent razor.

It might be. Prices have been coming down.

The SS is still cheaper, at $59. It's a great razor and a steal at that price.

BTW I've read some where that it is bit difficult to do an ATG under the neck with an SS because of the bump, is there any truth ?

BTW I've read some where that it is bit difficult to do an ATG under the neck with an SS because of the bump, is there any truth ?
Interesting question. I don't do an ATG pass, so I wouldn't have any first-hand knowledge.

I suspect, though, that with a blade that had decent exposure, you'd be able to do an ATG pass without any problems. It might be hard with a narrow blade like the Schick Proline. The Feather Super Professional has more exposure and should work OK.

I don't go ATG on my neck either, except just below the jawline. I have so few shaves on my SS clone that I do not remember trying it on that spot.

But as a thought exercise surely one could go ATG as the blade would be held at a slightly steeper angle at worse case. When using the SS clone I try to hold it at a similar angle as my DX and let the lip push down into soft tissue. That approach may be partially dependent on your skin. And might possibly relate to the comment about the SS not being good for ATG. As I find that ATG requires a very shallow angle and barely any pressure. There is a greater chance the blade in the SS will be a steeper angle when using the SS, making it more difficult to execute but not impossible.

I have owned and used my Feather SS for a few years. You can do a full, normal 3 pass shave with the SS, zero issue, once you’ve got some practice. It does just fine ATG. BBS is very achievable for me and I’m talking same longevity of BBS as a traditional SR; again, it just takes practice. It’s what convinced me to stop pursuing the traditional SR route and stick to shavettes.

I haven’t used a Kai SR, but I have used a well made clone of their kami model. You have to pay attention a little more, but still a great shavette.

I would say that if you are comparing the Kai Captain and Feather SS in terms if build quality, they are equal. They use similar materials for the body and scales.

If you are comparing these same razors in terms of shave quality, it's too subjective and user-dependent.

Functionally speaking, the Kai is very similar to the Feather DX. The SS and DX are very different. I would suggest reading up on the difference between the SS and DX. If it seems that the DX is a better fit for you (but you don't want to spend DX money: i.e $200 plus), go with the Kai. That is what I did, and it worked out well.

On ebay, I bought from takey-jp2014. Less than $80 shipped, and included a pack of Protouch guarded blades. I believe the same seller carries the Feather SS.

Last edited:
One question I have regarding the Kai Captain is the blade exposure. Its seems that it as less exposure that the other shavettes does this mean you have to use a different angle (steeper) to, lets say, the Feather DX?

One question I have regarding the Kai Captain is the blade exposure. Its seems that it as less exposure that the other shavettes does this mean you have to use a different angle (steeper) to, lets say, the Feather DX?
While I don't have the firsthand experience to answer your question (I don't personally own a DX), I believe the differences are quite subtle. See post #1 of thread below. I believe were are talking about a couple tenths of a millimeter from greatest to least exposure of those listed.

Blade Exposure: Kai Captain vs Feather Artist Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/blade-exposure-kai-captain-vs-feather-artist-club.416811/

That said, I wouldn't expect the blade exposure alone to have a major impact on your angle or technique. In fact, the only place it could affect angle is in a tight area like below the nose. There are other differences between the Kai and DX in terms of geometry and contour, which are probably a matter of preference. But in a general sense, I would expect the shaving experience between the two to be quite similar.

Checkout post #7 in the thread below for comparative pics.
Kai Captain Vs Feather SS Vs DX - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/kai-captain-vs-feather-ss-vs-dx.547844/

Last edited:
I would say that if you are comparing the Kai Captain and Feather SS in terms if build quality, they are equal. They use similar materials for the body and scales.

If you are comparing these same razors in terms of shave quality, it's too subjective and user-dependent.

Functionally speaking, the Kai is very similar to the Feather DX. The SS and DX are very different. I would suggest reading up on the difference between the SS and DX. If it seems that the DX is a better fit for you (but you don't want to spend DX money: i.e $200 plus), go with the Kai. That is what I did, and it worked out well.

On ebay, I bought from takey-jp2014. Less than $80 shipped, and included a pack of Protouch guarded blades. I believe the same seller carries the Feather SS.

I think when you use Kai you need be extremely careful with the blade angle etc .
At the same time, I heard Kai is made from brass. So how is the durability of the razor (Is blade locking mechanism etc etc prone get damaged with use ) ?
The feather handle is said to withstand higher temperatures. So how do the Kai kamisori handle face such abuse ? ( Will the rubber peel off )

Top Bottom