What's new

Feather SS Japanese Straight Razor

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at buying my first straight razor. I have been using DE safety razor for years and enjoy it. My question is can I use an Astra DE blade snapped in half in the Feather SS? I have heard you can but according to the information they say to only use the feather blades.

Thanks for any input:cool:!

Eben Stone

Staff member
No, it's designed for the Feather AC format blades.

If it is technically possible to fit half DE blades, that seems rediculous. The whole point/benefit of the AC format is thicker and stiffer blades. Half DE blade in a Feather AC razor seems like trying to use a filet knife when you need a samurai sword.

I will second that. While a half DE would technically fit, it would be a bad fit.

None of these examples are the perfect analogy, but it would be like trying to haul firewood in an SUV, or using a battery powered leaf blower to sweep out your home. Not something most people would want to do

I will second that. While a half DE would technically fit, it would be a bad fit.

None of these examples are the perfect analogy, but it would be like trying to haul firewood in an SUV, or using a battery powered leaf blower to sweep out your home. Not something most people would want to do
Hey why haven't i thought of doing that? It's not that I have much other use for the leaf blower during the winter.

If you find the Feather to be a bit expensive I'd recommend you to have a look at the basic Kai Captain version it cost much less and then there's the SJB. It shaves just as good as the Feather but for about ten percent of the purchase cost. Even so if you still find the correct blades to be too expensive I would strongly advice against buying any of them.

Yes, you can fit half-DE. But then razor has a BIG blade reveal. This is not recommended for first razor !
Use AC razor as intended or buy half-DE clone.
I myself did not like the lip/bump of the SS clone. And I used AC blade exactly that way- with big blade reveal - to avoid bump impact. Afterwards I bought Feather SR myself.
As an experiment I was thinking of exact same thing: to use half-DE in SS-clone. But I have a half thousand shavette shaves under my belt already.

I hate to say it, but save yourself some money in the long run. Jatai has a sale going right now, just go get the SS and a pack each of guarded blades and lite blades. Right at $100 all in. I just got my DX and I am coming from a really nice DE shavette that is terrible to use and a waste of money.

Yes, you can fit half-DE. But then razor has a BIG blade reveal. This is not recommended for first razor !
Use AC razor as intended or buy half-DE clone.
I myself did not like the lip/bump of the SS clone. And I used AC blade exactly that way- with big blade reveal - to avoid bump impact. Afterwards I bought Feather SR myself.
As an experiment I was thinking of exact same thing: to use half-DE in SS-clone. But I have a half thousand shavette shaves under my belt already.

My shave with Feather SS clone and Derby Extra DE blade.

Top Bottom