What's new

Feather SS - first SR/Shavette shave in the books

Just got my Feather SS today. Haven't shaved since Friday waiting for Amazon to deliver. Never used a straight or shavette before. I switched to DE about 2 years ago for electric/cartridges.

Results: Very good for first shot I'd say. A couple of small nicks/weepers on corner of my mouth which is where I get them once or twice a week with my DE so par for the course there. WTG pass was fairly easy, XTG seemed awkward, and ATG was easy enough as well. Not quite as smooth as my normal 3 pass DE shave, but I'm not complaining given this is my first time using this style and figuring out how to hold it, angles, etc. Neck and cheeks feel smooth. Hopefully no razor burn later...

proxy.php

Congrats!

You’re on a hell of a ride now, so strap in and hold on. The best advice I can give you is to bear three points in mind:

1: There will be setbacks, frustration, and a few bad experiences ahead.

2: The journey is well worth it, despite, and perhaps because of those bumps in the road

3: If / when you may get discouraged, just remember that you already know more about shaving in general, and already have infinitely more straight shaving experience than almost every man you meet. Only a truly elite cadre has more shaving experience and knowledge than you do, and you are well on your way to joining them.

Those three points form a step stool from which it is pretty easy to start climbing that learning curve.

Incidentally, even with a few years of DE experience under your belt, in a couple of months you may find yourself amazed at what learning naked edge shaving has done for your safety razor technique!

Congrats!

You’re on a hell of a ride now, so strap in and hold on. The best advice I can give you is to bear three points in mind:

2: The journey is well worth it, despite, and perhaps because of those bumps in the road

3: If / when you may get discouraged, just remember that you already know more about shaving in general, and already have infinitely more straight shaving experience than almost every man you meet. Only a truly elite cadre has more shaving experience and knowledge than you do, and you are well on your way to joining them.

Those three points form a step stool from which it is pretty easy to start climbing that learning curve.

Incidentally, even with a few years of DE experience under your belt, in a couple of months you may find yourself amazed at what learning naked edge shaving has done for your safety razor technique!

I have both my DX and SS up for sale right now but your post is making me want to take those listings down and keep trying to improve my technique. Thanks

Congrats!

That’s a great response. Thanks for posting!

Just got my Feather SS today. Haven't shaved since Friday waiting for Amazon to deliver. Never used a straight or shavette before. I switched to DE about 2 years ago for electric/cartridges.

Results: Very good for first shot I'd say. A couple of small nicks/weepers on corner of my mouth which is where I get them once or twice a week with my DE so par for the course there. WTG pass was fairly easy, XTG seemed awkward, and ATG was easy enough as well. Not quite as smooth as my normal 3 pass DE shave, but I'm not complaining given this is my first time using this style and figuring out how to hold it, angles, etc. Neck and cheeks feel smooth. Hopefully no razor burn later...

proxy.php
Great choice. Go slow and just let the blade do it's job. Keep it flat. I love mine. :a50::a50:

Just to add, I use both hands and did so from the beginning in Sept 2018.

I have both my DX and SS up for sale right now but your post is making me want to take those listings down and keep trying to improve my technique. Thanks
Please reconsider. These are the best and the DX is such a beauty. Get some of the AC Pro Guard blades if you didn't at first.

Please reconsider. These are the best and the DX is such a beauty. Get some of the AC Pro Guard blades if you didn't at first.
I already took them down, seriously thanks, I wasn't crazy about putting them up for sale to begin with.
I was just thinking about getting some pro guard blades, I've never tried them before :)

I already took them down, seriously thanks, I wasn't crazy about putting them up for sale to begin with.
I was just thinking about getting some pro guard blades, I've never tried them before :)

The Pro Guards are very sharp, they just have these metal wrappings like an open comb vintage razor. There is also a Soft Guard that I have not used. I got mine from Amazon when I ordered the SS. You will be fine. Glad you reconsidered.

The Pro Guards are very sharp, they just have these metal wrappings like an open comb vintage razor. There is also a Soft Guard that I have not used. I got mine from Amazon when I ordered the SS. You will be fine. Glad you reconsidered.
I have a sampler pack from tryablade and it includes both the pro guards and the soft guards. I'll give them a try this weekend once my face heels from my last use of the SS lol.

Congratulations on your first go! I love my Western style SS with Pros in it. Makes for a heck of a nice shave!

I have a sampler pack from tryablade and it includes both the pro guards and the soft guards. I'll give them a try this weekend once my face heels from my last use of the SS lol.
I'd be interested in your experience, then, with the soft guards since you have them.

I've thought about moving to the non guarded blades when the Pro Guards are used up, but I am still asking why I would change when the Pro Guards are working so well.

I'd be interested in your experience, then, with the soft guards since you have them.

I've thought about moving to the non guarded blades when the Pro Guards are used up, but I am still asking why I would change when the Pro Guards are working so well.
I only have one of each, but I'll definitely let you know. If you're in the US, I wouldn't mind trading a few pro guards for some pro and/or super pro blades. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I used the pro guard the other day, and still had a pretty bad shave and still managed to cut myself a little :(
My problem comes with the ATG pass. But this time, I just did one atg pass with the SS, and then called it a day and finished with the DE.
I'm going to keep trying though and pay more attention to the angle.

I used the pro guard the other day, and still had a pretty bad shave and still managed to cut myself a little :(
My problem comes with the ATG pass. But this time, I just did one atg pass with the SS, and then called it a day and finished with the DE.
I'm going to keep trying though and pay more attention to the angle.
If you are really struggling try using the SS with a pro blade very shallow using the lip as a guide. You need to really feel the lip against your face. It's the method that Feather describe in their literature. It's very hard to nick yourself like that.

The Feather blades should be sharp enough to get a DFS with a two pass: WTG/XTG as long as you skin stretch well.

If you are really struggling try using the SS with a pro blade very shallow using the lip as a guide. You need to really feel the lip against your face. It's the method that Feather describe in their literature. It's very hard to nick yourself like that.

The Feather blades should be sharp enough to get a DFS with a two pass: WTG/XTG as long as you skin stretch well.
I'll try that, thanks.

Top Bottom