What's new

Feather SS blade ?’s

I have a new to me feather SS kamisori style.
It came with father pro blades
Do the super pro blades makes that much of a difference, .2mm more blade exposure.
Do any any other non feather blades fit? Reviews,opinions?

I have not used the SS, however, I have owned the DX. I will say that the .2mm absolutely makes a difference, at least it did with the DX so I must assume that it will make a difference with the SS as well. To what extent, that I do not know, best to try a few different blades from both Feather and Kai (there are others as well) and see what you like best. I believe Try a Blade is still the best place to go to test blades out.

Schlick Pro Lines and there was a company called Kamisori that had them as well. Honestly, between Feather and Kai you will find the right blade.

Thanks I’ll try the proline down the road. I had first shave with feather pro blade and SS. This is more blade than I’ll ever need. Even though he feather pro .2 mm shorter than super pro I found the pro blades more than aggressive enough. Actually more aggressive than my straight razors.(for now) I got a BBS and a few weepers. I will spend next few weeks learning this razor.

The initial aggressiveness is very common with AC style blades. After a few shaves they mellow out and the shaves are quite comfortable.

Blade type is really a matter of preference. Blade quality of the Feather, Kai, and Schick Proline are equal IMO. But each blade type from each manufacturer have certain "creature features" that appeal to some but not others.

Many will start with guarded blades as a "training wheel" effect as they develop their skills. Some stick with them indefinitely. Some rave about the added blade expose of the Pro Supers; others find them too aggressive.

I find the Pro Supers to work really well if I have several days worth of beard growth. For daily shaving, I find the Kai Captain Standard or Mild to be the best fit for me. If I'm in a hurry and need a quick shave, I may throw in a guarded blade - Kai Protouch MG. I find virtually all of the AC blades to last through many shaves with proper care.

You'll find a lot of strong opinions throughout the community about which blade is "best", but it really boils down to finding what works for your face, your whiskers, your razor (the SS has a lipped profile that differs from most other AC razors), and your skill level & technique. I would suggest trying a variety of them and homing in on what works for you.

tryablade.com offers a sampler pack with one of each blade offered by the three manufactures. It's just under $15 with $3 flat rate shipping (CONUS). It's a worthwhile investment IMO and it avoids the need to buy a 15 or 20 pack of blades just to experiment. Do also keep in mind that your blade preference may evolve as your skill level evolves. So I would hang onto the rest of the sampler pack even after choosing a favorite. You may want to try them again later.

That's my two cents

Rob

Blade type is really a matter of preference. Blade quality of the Feather, Kai, and Schick Proline are equal IMO. But each blade type from each manufacturer have certain "creature features" that appeal to some but not others.

Many will start with guarded blades as a "training wheel" effect as they develop their skills. Some stick with them indefinitely. Some rave about the added blade expose of the Pro Supers; others find them too aggressive.

I find the Pro Supers to work really well if I have several days worth of beard growth. For daily shaving, I find the Kai Captain Standard or Mild to be the best fit for me. If I'm in a hurry and need a quick shave, I may throw in a guarded blade - Kai Protouch MG. I find virtually all of the AC blades to last through many shaves with proper care.

You'll find a lot of strong opinions throughout the community about which blade is "best", but it really boils down to finding what works for your face, your whiskers, your razor (the SS has a lipped profile that differs from most other AC razors), and your skill level & technique. I would suggest trying a variety of them and homing in on what works for you.

tryablade.com offers a sampler pack with one of each blade offered by the three manufactures. It's just under $15 with $3 flat rate shipping (CONUS). It's a worthwhile investment IMO and it avoids the need to buy a 15 or 20 pack of blades just to experiment. Do also keep in mind that your blade preference may evolve as your skill level evolves. So I would hang onto the rest of the sampler pack even after choosing a favorite. You may want to try them again later.

That's my two cents

Rob

Thanks Rob.
I bought the feather SS pre-owned it came with 140/ 7 tucks of feather pro blades. At that level of commitment I'll be using with these for a while. Between my SR, and DE shaves, thats a few years of blades for the AC Feather SS. Nonetheless I'm ordering the sampler anyway!

I'm new with the AC razor what constitutes "proper care" ?? right now i'm rinsing well and shaking dry, then back plastic case next day.

I'm new with the AC razor what constitutes "proper care" ?? right now i'm rinsing well and shaking dry, then back plastic case

Making sure they are clean and dry is what I have found to be key in getting the most out of the blades. I remove mine from the holder after each shave, blot and wipe them dry on a towel (wiping in a "stropping" motion), then let them sit out in a non-humid environment (i.e. out side the bathroom) overnight or at least a few hours.

What I'm doing may be a bit overkill, but I find it works well. As long as they are clean and dry before you store them, you're good.

I like the Schick Prolines best, but the only other blade I've tried is the Feather ProGuard, which I find rough and uncomfortable by comparison.

I have some samples of the Kai blades coming soon for either my birthday (today!) or for Christmas, so I'll let you know. But I have to say, the Schick Prolines are incredibly great in the Feather SS, and I find it hard to believe that any other blade will be better.

I like the Schick Prolines best, but the only other blade I've tried is the Feather ProGuard, which I find rough and uncomfortable by comparison.

I have some samples of the Kai blades coming soon for either my birthday (today!) or for Christmas, so I'll let you know. But I have to say, the Schick Prolines are incredibly great in the Feather SS, and I find it hard to believe that any other blade will be better.

happy birthday kingfisher!!! i bought the feather ss and blades for an early (dec) birthday present to myself. if you want, i can send you feather super pro blade or 2 if you want to try. i also waiting on a blade sampler to arrive, please share you notes when you try them out.

The different Feather blades are all a little different and fit different people. If you have a heavy beard, you may like the Supers. I tried them and they were too aggressive for me. I found that the Pros worked the best for me.
You can also use Kai, Schick or Dorco blades. Any artist club style blade will work.

Thanks Rob.
I bought the feather SS pre-owned it came with 140/ 7 tucks of feather pro blades. At that level of commitment I'll be using with these for a while. Between my SR, and DE shaves, thats a few years of blades for the AC Feather SS. Nonetheless I'm ordering the sampler anyway!

I'm new with the AC razor what constitutes "proper care" ?? right now i'm rinsing well and shaking dry, then back plastic case next day.
Maybe you should stick with the Professional blades and ignore the others. Since you have many years worth of blades and don't want to be disappointed by finding a better one. :) I still have not decided which blade I like the best, but I believe the Pros make a good default choice.

As for care, I used to disassemble the razor, rinse, and dry everything. But I found that too tedious so now I just:
  1. Try to make sure there is no residue left on the blade (sometimes lather gets stuck in the corner/edge where the blade is exposed out of the holder).
  2. Dry blade holder with towel, being careful not to touch the cutting edge.
  3. Strop the blade against the the same towel to try and dry the cutting edge, but leave everything assembled.
  4. Put razor away.

happy birthday kingfisher!!! i bought the feather ss and blades for an early (dec) birthday present to myself. if you want, i can send you feather super pro blade or 2 if you want to try. i also waiting on a blade sampler to arrive, please share you notes when you try them out.
This is a very kind offer. I gave my wife a list of blades I wanted to try, and I can't remember if the Super was on that list or not.

I didn't get them for my birthday, so I assume she's saving them for Christmas. Maybe I could wait until after Christmas, see if she got me some or not, and then get back to you? In the meantime, I have plenty of Schick Prolines and Feather ProGuards to use.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know.

You’ll adapt to it easily enough if you’re good with straights. They just demand more attention to good technique, or they’ll give you weepers or worse. And lighter pressure than you’ve used previously.

I’d use mine traveling or a “too lazy to strop“ day. A blade would last the better part of a year, and 20+ odd shaves for me

Top Bottom